Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor help needed

Pro2AInPA

I went to the range today to test some .40 minor loads with clays.

I'm loading a 180gr Berry's plated bullet at 1.130"

Gun is a Glock 35 with a KKM barrel. Lightened striker spring, 13lb ISMI recoil spring on a Jager captured steel rod.

I loaded 2.8, 3.0, and 3.2gr

The 2.8gr load didn't even cycle the slide and chrono'd sub minor. No surprise there.

The part that confuses me is even the 3.2gr Clays load shows sub-minor on my chronograph. I've read all over these forums that people are getting about a 145PF out of 3.2gr clays with a 180gr bullet from a 5" barrel. I'm thinking my chronograph is reading wrong if it's telling me I'm only getting about 650fps average with this load. Thoughts?

Gun is a Glock 35 with a KKM barrel. Lightened striker spring, 13lb ISMI recoil spring on a Jager captured steel rod.

The 2.8gr load didn't even cycle the slide and chrono'd sub minor. No surprise there.

The part that confuses me is even the 3.2gr Clays load shows sub-minor on my chronograph. I've read all over these forums that people are getting about a 145PF out of 3.2gr clays with a 180gr bullet from a 5" barrel. I'm thinking my chronograph is reading wrong if it's telling me I'm only getting about 650fps average with this load. Thoughts?

How many did you shoot through the chrono? It does sound off. Plated should be the same as lead, so they should be around a 145....

As far as sub minor, what was the actual reading?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105461

Edited by GrumpyOne

How many did you shoot through the chrono? It does sound off. Plated should be the same as lead, so they should be around a 145....

Two 10 round strings. 650fps average with a huge SD and ES, I don't have those numbers in front of me but I know they were kind of on the ridiculous side. I think I just have a bad chrono.

You will probably have to search the forum on this but I seem to recall that small volumes of Clays can be positionally sensitive. Here is a test to do. Shoot two 10 round strings. In one string, be for you shoot each shot, tilt the muzzle up and give it a little shake to make sure that the powder all goes to the rear. Next string, do the reverse with the muzzle pointed down. If the second string is consistently lower, then you aren't getting a complete burn.

Two 10 round strings. 650fps average with a huge SD and ES, I don't have those numbers in front of me but I know they were kind of on the ridiculous side. I think I just have a bad chrono.

I think you may be right....All info is leading to 3.2 of Clays and a 180 to be around a 135-145 PF, not a 117. I wouldn't think your barrel would be that slow...Do you have access to another barrel, the stock barrel perhaps? If so, put some through it and see what the PF is.

Edit to add thought that just ocurred: Try using a magnum primer....

Edited by GrumpyOne

I think you may be right....All info is leading to 3.2 of Clays and a 180 to be around a 135-145 PF, not a 117. I wouldn't think your barrel would be that slow...Do you have access to another barrel, the stock barrel perhaps? If so, put some through it and see what the PF is.

I do have the factory barrel laying around, I'll give it a try.

I have roughly 20,000 regular small pistol primers, so I'd rather not switch. I think what I need to do is shoot some of these over a friend's chrono and compare numbers.

I'm using a Beta shooting chrony with the infared sunscreens. Maybe it's just ready to be replaced.

I do have the factory barrel laying around, I'll give it a try.

I have roughly 20,000 regular small pistol primers, so I'd rather not switch. I think what I need to do is shoot some of these over a friend's chrono and compare numbers.

I'm using a Beta shooting chrony with the infared sunscreens. Maybe it's just ready to be replaced.

Or try some known major PF ammo over it and see what happens....

A chrono is simply a measuring device. As with any measuring device, it should be calibrated to ensure accurate readings. I run a 10 round string of previously tested ammo over my chrono almost every use to ensure it's readings are not fast or slow.

Couple of things I would try, Change the battery in your Chrono and move it further away from your shooting position. Both of these have given me odd readings.

Pistol G35

Barrel Storm Lake

Powder 2.9 Gr Clays

Primers WSP

Bullet 180 Gr Cast from WW

PACT Chrony 10 ft from barrel

I am getting a PF of 134-136

This load in this gun is giving me an average of 745 FPS

I have checked this load on a couple of other Chronys and they are the same.

Pistol G35

Barrel Storm Lake

Powder 2.9 Gr Clays

Primers WSP

What recoil spring? 2.8gr barely even moved the slide on my gun.

Maybe it's not the chrono. maybe it's your scale...just a thought.

I have a set of calibration weights ranging from .2 up to 5 grains and the scale is dead on with all of them.

Pistol G35

Barrel Storm Lake

Powder 2.9 Gr Clays

Primers WSP

It is stock recoil G35 Recoil spring.

Pistol G35

Barrel Storm Lake

Powder 2.9 Gr Clays

Primers WSP

It is stock recoil G35 Recoil spring.

I guess there's more of a difference between cast and plated bullets than I thought. 2.8gr of Clays under a plated bullet with a 13lb recoil spring doesn't even come close to cycling my G35.

You mentioned big SD numbers. How did the gun feel when shooting the loads. Was every shot about the same sound and recoil?

A few years back I tried to run Univ. Clays in my .40 minor load and had similar issues. Big spread of velocities but it was not the chrono. You could tell the low readings were low by the way they shot. Bottom line in my case was that I couldn't go under a particular charge weight with that powder.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this party, but the large SD's are telling me you are not getting complete ignition. I had this same problem when using some "green" primers that do not use lead fulmate as the ignition source and they wouldn't light up a medium speed powder consistently. In YOUR case I suspect the LIGHT STRIKER SPRING you mentioned. Put the original, or full power striker spring back in and try it again over the chrony. Inconsistent ignition of one kind or another seems to be the problem here. I don't think you are crushing the primer compound rapidly enough.