Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Gun for 3-Gun

GlennRasch

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

870.jpg

this is a great looking shotgun with very cool history. complete mismatch is very feng shui. i would replace the sidesaddle with something from 3-gun gear or otto. the plastic sidesaddles can be problematic ie, your shells might all fall out in the middle of a match. I know this for a fact.

They are not for everyone and when moded for 3 gun it takes a while to get them right but,,,,,

I love my Saiga but in most matches they are open class.

Pat

Saiga.jpg

I really dont care what class I shoot. Im not going to take home the buick and I just want to shoot what I want and have fun!!!

They are not for everyone and when moded for 3 gun it takes a while to get them right but,,,,,

Pat

Saiga.jpg

I really dont care what class I shoot. Im not going to take home the buick and I just want to shoot what I want and have fun!!!

In that case Saiga's are great. I shoot open now because I got a Saiga. I loved the shotgun enough to commit to the division fully.

Pat

Pat

Saiga.jpg

In that case Saiga's are great. I shoot open now because I got a Saiga. I loved the shotgun enough to commit to the division fully.

Pat

Couldnt have said it better myself!

I have to add a disclaimer here. I found my carrier cracked last week where the op rod screws in.

One of the downsides to Saigas is you cant buy parts like bolts and carriers. I had to order another gun to hopefully use the carrier for a match next week.

Then send the cracked part to a Saiga guru to weld up. On the plus side then I ordered enough parts to convert gun 2 for 3 gun as well so I will have a backup in the near future.

I have about at least 2K and more like 3K plus thru this gun. Mostly 1250ish and slugs. I dont think its the norm but I have moded this one a lot so all bets are off. I actually wonder if it was bad from the get go but who knows.

Edited by tnek

I have to add a disclaimer here. I found my carrier cracked last week where the op rod screws in.

One of the downsides to Saigas is you cant buy parts like bolts and carriers. I had to order another gun to hopefully use the carrier for a match next week.

Then send the cracked part to a Saiga guru to weld up. On the plus side then I ordered enough parts to convert gun 2 for 3 gun as well so I will have a backup in the near future.

I have about at least 2K and more like 3K plus thru this gun. Mostly 1250ish and slugs. I dont think its the norm but I have moded this one a lot so all bets are off. I actually wonder if it was bad from the get go but who knows.

Dope I never even thought of that. Thanks for the heads up.

pat

Brian 45, I think I know why these topics always generate a bunch of replies.

First no-one makes a good 3-gun shotgun, all of them will leave you behind at times, whether due to parts breaking, bad ammo, bad spring confuguration...etc.

Next almost all the pistols and rifles we use run and run...it doesn't matter the brand, S_I,s Glocks, XDs, Sigs, FNs etc...all work, not much to talk about there. Most all the rifles we use work, DPMS, Colt, J.P., LWC, Fire-Bird...etc., once again not much to talk about.

Third Shotgun as a stand alone, match gun is almost non- existent in the U.S., so people don't have the time behind them to throughly know their systems inside and out, and it is the firearm least practiced with, and least customised for what we use them for. Think of all the AR builders and Pistol builders and then the maybe 5 shotgun builders.

With all this in mind, personal opinions on what is good and not good hing on less than 1000 rounds of experience, and the frustration of a gun that doesn't run....for what ever reason...will cloud perceptions for a long time, and frustration leads to LOTS OF POSTS!!! :roflol:

I must agree here. I run a browning gold, which has the rep. of being a terrrible shotgun for 3 gun. But I know the gun, and how it runs. It can be modified to run flawless, with less recoil that anything I have shot. But it is a gun that you need to pay close attention details (esp length of springs) so it will run flawless. If you want something that will run reliably without any thought-get a pump. If you want an auto that needs little attention and a few hiccups now and then get a FNH or bennelli. If you never want to count rounds because you have speed load, like to tinker, want to get to know your gun inside and out--then get a gold and you will love it.

stewj,

Just when I thought I was the only Gold fan you show up. I couldn't agree more with your opinion of the Browning. I have a Benny Benelli that I love and will eat anything I feed it, but the recoil out of the Gold is so soft. Granted it weighs a ton which helps manage the kick. If I could only get the Armstec sticks to work more reliably in my modified Arrendondo funnel the Browning would make it to a match. Oh well, winter project. Until then Team Benny!!!

jimmcc, I am just a browning guy. I have always hunted and loaded with my left hand using the browning speed load. The transition to 3 gun with my auto 5 or gold is an easy one. You are wasting the Golds potential by using it in open. You need to throw those shells in by hand, and never worry about running dry. I actually think the auto 5 balances better but it is a little more difficult to load because the carrier spring is a little stiff. I like to tinker and adjust the gold but I don't have the skills or tools to tear down an auto 5 to mess with the carrier spring.