Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where should I zero my shotgun at with slugs?

I had a question, I just recently bought a FN SLP MK1. I was wondering if I could get suggestions as to what range I should zero my shotgun at for competition with slugs. I am very new to the shotgun realm, and have always used a military provided Benelli. Any help would be great thank you!

I had a question, I just recently bought a FN SLP MK1. I was wondering if I could get suggestions as to what range I should zero my shotgun at for competition with slugs. I am very new to the shotgun realm, and have always used a military provided Benelli. Any help would be great thank you!

Most folks want a 100 yard zero. Assuming a 1 oz slug and 1250 fps, that will be about 4 inches low at 150 yards.

I like a 50 yd zero. For most of the closer targets which can be smaller plates it allows me to hold right on the target. At 100+ targets tend to be either full size IPSC shapes or bigger plates and I can then just hold on the top edge or neck.

YMMV depending on the slug load and your muzzle velocity/ballistics.

All depends on the average distance of your slug shots at matches. My matches have not really been slug heavy lately :angry2: and the last one was at a distance of only a few yards shooting clays under a table. Challenging actually but most have been 50 or less in my area so I zero at about 25 and using brenneke reduced recoil they are spot on at 50 and I actually have not checked it at 100. Remeber,,, do what suits your matches not what others do!! :cheers:

Thank you so much for all the quick responses! I have yet to shoot slugs at a 3 gun match, but I want to be prepared! I think I will zero the shotty at 50 yards and see where that leaves me for 100 yards. Seems like the two opinions so far are 50 yds and 100 yds. Time to expirement then and see how it holds up! :D

I'm going to ask a real stupid question. How do you zero a shotgun that doesn't have adjustable sights? Is zero just a simple way of saying "figure out where to aim/point"?

Yes. I use a VR w/ bead for HM and you just have to find out where to hold.

I'm going to ask a real stupid question. How do you zero a shotgun that doesn't have adjustable sights? Is zero just a simple way of saying "figure out where to aim/point"?

The FN SLP MK1 has adjustable sights. The front sight can be tapped left and right by punching it with a nylon punch and brass hammer.

For slugs I kick up the little rear sight in front of the rail. I went down 1 line and that put me on perfect for elevation for my FN. I then tapped the front sight a little right and left until I shot POA/POI with my FN today at 50 yards.

I did not get a chance to see where the slugs land at 100 yards, but I am hoping to do that when I go back to work mext week.

The 50 yard zero seemed to work great, and I was dinging steel at 50 yards no problem today. I was shooting 1/2 sized IPSC targets made of steel. Spent a good 30 mins at work running slugs on steel and paper, and it seemed to work great for me! I am no novice at shotgun though ... I am somewhere below novice with shotguns ... newbie would be a better word for my skill level on my shotgun.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge difference between the common forester type slugs and the high tech slugs in trajectory. Make sure you know which ones you will be using. I like a 1 1\2 inch high at 50 yds zero. Don't know about 150 yds, what shotgun and ammo will group good enough at 150 to tell where the zero is?

Most folks want a 100 yard zero. Assuming a 1 oz slug and 1250 fps, that will be about 4 inches low at 150 yards.

4" low at 150 when zeroed at 100? Where do I buy those slugs? :D

I would say that even 4" at 125 sounds a tad optimistic for a low recoil slug and at 150 it's probably 10+" low.

Edited by gose

stupid question, but unless you have an optic on your shotgun, there really isnt much sighting in is there? other than maybe changing chokes if thats an option...

Corey, the original question was referring to the FN SLP, which has a flip up rifle sight. It is adjustable for elevation and as noted above, the front sight is adjustable for windage.

stupid question, but unless you have an optic on your shotgun, there really isnt much sighting in is there? other than maybe changing chokes if thats an option...

Corey, the original question was referring to the FN SLP, which has a flip up rifle sight. It is adjustable for elevation and as noted above, the front sight is adjustable for windage.

Ahh! not familiar with the FN guns :mellow: thanks for the clarification

I just took my brand new FN SLP Mk1 to the local range to test it out and zero for slugs - max distance there is about 40 yards - but right out of the box at that distance was able to put 5 of the Federal Hydrashok reduced recoil slugs well within an8 inch shoot'n'see offhand - so was pretty happy with that. Will go to the longer range next weekend and see where they sit at 50 and 100.

A question for you guys though - I'm not used to these notch type sights - when aligning them, where exactly should the front post sit in the V notch? The way I was doing it was putting the front fiber optic dot right at the very bottom of the V - is that the correct sight picture?

Edited by DanielW

I just took my brand new FN SLP Mk1 to the local range to test it out and zero for slugs - max distance there is about 40 yards - but right out of the box at that distance was able to put 5 of the Federal Hydrashok reduced recoil slugs well within an8 inch shoot'n'see offhand - so was pretty happy with that. Will go to the longer range next weekend and see where they sit at 50 and 100.

A question for you guys though - I'm not used to these notch type sights - when aligning them, where exactly should the front post sit in the V notch? The way I was doing it was putting the front fiber optic dot right at the very bottom of the V - is that the correct sight picture?

That's the way I did it, and I had to drop the rear slot/blade on the rear sight all the way down.