Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnson 3-Gun at Rocky Mountain

We're moving our local 3-Gun matches down to the Whittington Center in Raton, New Mexico as that's where all our targets are and we think we can have some great fun there!

We will have 4-6 stages depending on the match. It is purely a local match where the shooters help set up and RO. We will have most of the stages near the pistol berms for set-up, but plan to try to have a long rifle stage elsewhere to let us stretch our legs! :devil: Sign-up will be near the IPSC shed in the pistol berm area.

Set-up will begin at 0700, with a beginners meeting at 0930 and Shooter's Briefing at 1000. Set-up help will get you discounts on the $30 match fee.

You can read a bit about them at www.rm3g.com. Cancellations due to weather will be posted here and we also have an e-mail list you can sign up for. Please e-mail us if you're worried before you make a long trek! If Raton pass is closed, there will be NO match! Our e-mail to be added to the list or whatever is: rm3gun@yahoo.com

Our first one will be September 18, 2010, and we'll have our last local match of the year on October 9, 2010. They won't be scheduled for the same weekend always and we'll let you know the 2011 schedule soon!

We invite all of you from New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona...well, anywhere, but it will be quite a drive for a local match if you live in Florida! :roflol:

We'd love to see some new faces and hope some of our regulars can make the trek! We're really excited about the new options and variety we will have available at Whittington and for those of you who have never been there...it's amazing!!! :bow:

Denise and JJ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just bumping this up because someone just asked me if it was true!

Indeed it is! Local matches at Raton!

The first one is September 18. Go to the pistol berms for sign-up!

Hope to have a really good time with our first "not stationary at paper" long rifle stage in a very long time!

Come join us! Set-up starts at 0730! :sight:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, first match is under our belts. It was small, but a lot of fun!

Jim and Nanci, we missed you!

We had a bunch of newbies including a new junior shooter. Half the match shot irons at targets out to 315.

It was a long, warm, but good day!

Next match, October 9. Shooter's briefing will be at 0930 so we can get started earlier.

Set-up will start at dawn.

If you'd like to be on our e-mail list, e-mail me at rm3gun@yahoo.com.

Congrats to :cheers: Craig Calkins, top shooter overall and division winners Dennis Chi, Ben Perez, JJ Johnson, and Dan Miller!

Hope everyone had fun!

Denise

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Results for the October 9 match are up on the website: http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

Congrats to: JJ Johnson, Brad Schuppan, Craig Calkins and Chris Lawhorn for winning their divisions. :cheers:

We'll have our 2010 local point series results up later!

Thanks to everyone who came out and shot with us! It turned out to be a great day! :goof:

We hope to see you all in 2011!

Denise and JJ

• 3 months later...

First match of the year at the Whittington Center is the weekend before Superstition! 19-20 March 2011.

So, we are going to be there saturday AND sunday. Planning on having a clinic on saturday, and a 4-5 stage match on sunday. I have spoken to several "notables" about holding some classes on saturday...none have comitted as of yet but I am sure we will be able to put together something...

What we do need to know is, who is interested, what would you like to work on, etc. We will be there all day saturday and sunday the 19 and 20 march.

so if you are itching to send some rounds downrange before the match in Mesa, plan on stopping by! Send us a heads-up if you would like to do the clinic and match, just the match, whatever? It would be good to know so we will know how many shooters to plan for and if having a clinic is feasible...

RM3Gun@yahoo.com

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

First match of the year at the Whittington Center is the weekend before Superstition! 19-20 March 2011.

So, we are going to be there saturday AND sunday. Planning on having a clinic on saturday, and a 4-5 stage match on sunday. I have spoken to several "notables" about holding some classes on saturday...none have comitted as of yet but I am sure we will be able to put together something...

at any rate, we will be there shooting all day saturday and sunday the 19 and 20 march.

so if you are itching to send some rounds downrange before the match in Mesa, plan on stopping by! Sending us a heads-up would be good too so we will know how many shooters to plan for...

RM3Gun@yahoo.com

jj

What do you have instore as for clinics?

Edited by DocMedic

So, we are going to be there saturday AND sunday. Planning on having a clinic on saturday, and a 4-5 stage match on sunday. I have spoken to several "notables" about holding some classes on saturday...none have comitted as of yet but I am sure we will be able to put together something...at any rate, we will be there shooting all day saturday and sunday the 19 and 20 march.

so if you are itching to send some rounds downrange before the match in Mesa, plan on stopping by! Sending us a heads-up would be good too so we will know how many shooters to plan for...

RM3Gun@yahoo.com

jj

What do you have instore as for clinics?

Not really sure about the clinic content, though we've been kicking around iron sighted long rifle shooting, offhand shooting with all three weapons, transitions, maybe multiple techniques for shotgun loading...well, we're still thinking...ideas about what you'd like to see from people who plan to come down on Saturday are welcome, too!

Denise

• 1 month later...

Time to blow the dust off! :devil:

Our 1st match of the year comes with a bonus, 2 days of shooting 3gun at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton NM! Saturday, March 19 at noon, we will hold a 3-gun clinic, and on Sunday March 20 (10am) we will have a 4-5 stage match. These two days are going to be independent of each other, so you do NOT have to attend both days. This is the weekend before Superstition 3gun in Mesa AZ.

If you are planning to attend both days of shooting, you will need to bring AT LEAST 200 rounds of ammo for each gun and 25 slugs (this is just my guess). My rule of thumb is to bring more than I think I will need; "Taking left-over ammo home is better than running out of ammo at the range!"

CLINICS

The clinics will start at noon on the 19th, they will be geared to newer shooters and basic skills, but if you just want to get a little spring wake-up call...anyone can come. Each clinic will have a few minutes of talking/lecture, but the majority of the clinics will be shooting, so bring ammo.

Long rifle - We'll talk a little bit about sighting in iron, 1x dots and scoped guns, and the advantages/disadvantages of sighting in at different distances. Then we'll shoot with however you have them sighted in and work with sight picture at different distances. We will spend a little time with awkward rifle positions and offhand shooting.

Shotgun - We'll talk about loading options, chokes and the different ammo, including how to sight in slugs. Then we'll be doing loading drills of the different kinds and how you can practice at home and on the range. We will spend just a little time with slug shots with whatever slugs you bring with you!

Pistol - We'll talk about pistol fits into 3-gun, show some of the different targets you may see, and explain different scoring systems with the pistol in mind. How to practice at home and on the home range, then we will do a bit of shooting and some drills.

The possible 4th clinic will be about transitions between guns and how to abandon guns safely. We'll talk about the different rule sets and dry practice with slings if you've got'em. We'll get some practice on abandoning guns, reloading and shooting just a few rounds before your next transistion.

MATCH - Sunday's match will be the start of our 2011 season. Match cost $30.

The match will start at 10am the 20th, with shooter's briefing at 9:30. Again geared toward basic skills and knocking the rust off;

1. Long rifle

2. shotgun, birdshot with a few select slug shots

3. 3gun, TRANSITIONS!

4. shotgun/pistol, which target, which gun???

(5). rifle/pistol, run & gun, then???

If you can, please let us know if you plan to attend either, so we can get an approximate head count. pre-registering is not required.

Questions? send em!

see you soon!

Hope to see you there!

Denise

• 2 weeks later...

I would be happy to put on a small class...How to pimp out your blaster :roflol:

Jim :P

What about a class on disassembling a shotgun on the clock? :ph34r:

Jason,i don't know about a shotgun, but i had to tear apart my AR twice on one stage last year. on the clock til i finally said 'that's it/!' makes the ole heart pump, for sure! but, then again, it was one of those years.

this year is gonna be better.

:cheers: wynn

Edited by 1chota

I would be happy to put on a small class...How to pimp out your blaster :roflol:

Jim :P

What about a class on disassembling a shotgun on the clock? :ph34r:

Jason,i don't know about a shotgun, but i had to tear apart my AR twice on one stage last year. on the clock til i finally said 'that's it/!' makes the ole heart pump, for sure! but, then again, it was one of those years.

this year is gonna be better.

:cheers: wynn

Wynn,

You gonna head up to Raton this weekend?