Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Skill - "tac" Load Times

dirtypool40

Guys

I know this shouldn't be done on the clock if the stage is well designed, and I know "Tactical" reload is another "mall ninja misnomer" but I still want to know what you IDPA hot rods can do the drill in. PLEASE DON'T PREACH, just post times and techniques...

Here's the drill:

NOT FROM CONCEALEMENT

1 IDPA target @ 10y.

Draw and fire 1 "down zero" make a "tactical reload" and fire a second "down zero".

A fair, equitable test of your draw and your Tac relaod, using SSC, USPSA Production or IDPA gear (sans Ninja vest).

I'll start you off, I hit a couple the other day. Draws were running 1.3 and Tac Load about 2.5. Call it a four second par time.

What are you guys doing it in???

I am gonna hit them today and come back with more times.

In practice, not a match, draw shoot A, tac load, shoot another A. I can consistently do it in 3.10. this is from concealment, I don't practice without cover for IDPA, it is pointless, every match is going to require it.

Sorry for the newbie question, but this has me confused. When you are executing a tactical reload, what are you doing with the magazine you remove from your pistol? Putting it in the mag pouch, a pocket, dropping it? I am assuming you must be either putting it in the pouch or pocket, otherwise you'd be doing a speed reload. If so, the times listed for this drill are really awesome!

[never done a tac load ignorant mode]

If I'm understanding this drill, after the tac reload you are only shooting one shot, right?

If so, wouldn't it be faster just to shoot the last shot SHO and just hold the mag in your hand instead of trying to stow it?

[/never done a tac load ignorant mode]

Alright, I will comply with the rules. No concealment, draw shoot an A, tac load, shoot another A. did it today in 2.78, 2.91, 2.99, 3.09, 2.82, 2.81, 2.86, 2.90, 2.79.

Whoa! Dude! That is FAST! You must have practiced or something!

In fact, those times would be pretty fast with a speed reload.

I can't wait 'til you come up here to shoot with us so I can see you share the sunshine in person! :)