Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Empty The 550 Powder Mesure?

This might be a dumb question, but what this the "correct" way to empty the Dillon powder hopper? "My" way has been to remove the whole tool head and tip the thing over gently, putting the powder back where it came from. The only problem is that with the tool head attached the balance of the whole mess is really strange when you have it upside down, and last nite I managed to knock over the powder bottle itself with the powder messure.

So there I am, in my garage, with 1/2lb of TG on my lap, and on the front of my shirt, holding my legs tight together, trying to figure out a way to recover the powder, and most importantly not get it all over the floor. Needless to say I only partially succeded at both. <_<

There has to be a better way. This is where I really think that Lee had the right idea with the shutoff valve at the base of the hopper and a detachable hopper.

Vlad

i unbolt the power hopper from the tool head. get a funnel set up in the return bottle, then pour it in from the top slowly. after i get most of the poweer from the hopper, i acutate the powder bar by hand over the funnel to remove the rest from the hopper.

hope the is helps the powder crotch problem. :o

lynn

This is where I really think that Lee had the right idea with the shutoff valve at the base of the hopper and a detachable hopper.

Didn't really understand what my dillon-loading friends were talking about, when they reported the difficulty in emptying the powder hopper, until I realized they don't have any shut-off valve... <_<

i unbolt the power hopper from the tool head. get a funnel set up in the return bottle, then pour it in from the top slowly. after i get most of the poweer from the hopper, i acutate the powder bar by hand over the funnel to remove the rest from the hopper.

lynn

Same here.

i unbolt the power hopper from the tool head.  get a funnel set up in the return bottle, then pour it in from the top slowly.  after i get most of the poweer from the hopper,  i acutate the powder bar by hand over the funnel to remove the rest from the hopper.

lynn

Same here.

another for the "what they said"!

Had it happen over and over. :wacko:

Simple solution for me was to use a dry clean margarine tub and pull the toolhead and dump. I then put the toolhead back and push the tub under the powder funnel and cycle the powder bar by hand to empty completely. All my scale pans of powder end up in the tub too. Once it's in the tub you can squeeze it oblong and it pours quite nice into a funnel or even directly into the bottle. A quick rub down with a paper towel and alcohol on the tub and your good to go for next time.

Haven't had powder (gun) in my lap in a while. ;)

Dog

As everyone else said, I remove the whole toolhead and pour into a funnel. Pretty easy.......

I have been doing that way for 18 years, works fine!

So there I am, in my garage, with 1/2lb of TG on my lap, and on the front of my shirt, holding my legs tight together, trying to figure out a way to recover the powder, and most importantly not get it all over the floor. Needless to say I only partially succeded at both. 

I have only one comment on that....and you don't have pictures! ;)

Sorry, no pictures. I was rather busy at the time. :unsure:

Well, I guess you all do it pretty much the same. But the tub of butter idea actually sound pretty good. I'll try that.

Thanx, guys.

Vlad