Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 in competition

jvance

I am extremely new to pistols in general. My dad was a cop and bought a g22 .40 many years back. I just recently turned 21 and my dad gave me the gun for my birthday. I am very interested in starting competitive shooting but have no idea if this gun is the best bet for me to use in competition, from what i have read so far, it seems that the g34 or 35 are used more commonly. another question i have is how do you tell what generation my particular glock is? Thanks for all advice ya'll can give me!

Welcome :cheers:

Before adding anything else, realize that it will be a while before the gun/ammo/mags is much of a factor in how well you do at matches, so it's not a big deal...just get out there with whatever you can manage to put together.

A G22 can be realistically/reasonably used in Production, Limited and Limited-10. Some folks even prefer them to a G35, but not too many.

For Limited you'd want/need mag extensions, probably a magwell, maybe a drop-in trigger kit (even the Glock G34/35 trigger would be an improvement) and maybe different sights. Bare bones I'd get the mag extensions and add everything else when the money is available. You could run the same setup in L-10, but you wouldn't need mag extensions (although they won't really hurt anything and might be needed with a magwell)...either way, just don't have more than 10 in the mag after the start signal and you're golden.

For Production you can't have the magwell and stock mags are perfect the way they are. Sights and trigger work are nice, but not necessary. If you don't reload, you would be doing yourself a favor by getting some milder ammo (Atlanta Arms sells .40 Minor that would do nicely) since Production is scored all Minor and there's no sense in dealing with more recoil and noise than necessary.

If it was me, and the gun is totally stock, and I wanted to get out there right away, I'd get a total of five (four is possible, but not ideal) mags, any reasonable holster, a couple of cheap double mag pouches and shoot Limited-10. You'll get Major scoring with factory ammo and won't be giving away mag capacity to anybody (like you would be in Limited). R,

thank both of yall for all the info. its alot to wrap my head around. everything on the gun is stock and i would like to shoot limited 10 or production. When you talked about trigger work and sights, i have two questions. first, are you talking about decreasing the lbs of pull on the trigger? next, which sight would you reccommend?

G22 is a great platform, could be the last gun you'll ever need if you wanted it to be...

Like Jman said, do some searches, all the info you'd ever need is around.

If you want to do a quick and cheap upgrade drop $15 on a 3.5lb connector and look up the $.25 trigger job, as for sights you'll find the Warren/Sevigny's get high marks around here (Ameriglo Defoor's are pretty much the same thing but cheaper).

The shooting part is the hard part... Two words: Ammo & Practice.

Good luck.

I think the G22 platform is fine for starting out, take G-ManBart's advice and shoot limited 10. I would choose a belt holster from comp-tac / blade-tech and get 2 cheap uncle mikes belt pouches, you can find them for cheap used on the internet. Get 4-5 mags and you're set to start. For sights, I really like the Warren/Sevigny plain rear w/ Fiberoptic front. Very crisp, clean and fast sight picture IMO. I've tried the Dawson adjustable w/ fiberoptic front and I found them much more accurate, but slower than the W/S sights. I would also highly recommend Tru-Grip grip tape, awesome stuff, it really helps you grip the gun and control recoil.

As you improve and figure out what you like and how you like things set up you can upgrade your trigger, pouches, etc..

CAZ

Here is a picture of my Gen 2 Glock 22 (made in 1996 I believe) for Limited. This should give you some idea of the most common modifications for Limited or L10. It has a new trigger, sights, magwell, mag extensions, Tru-grip, springs and guide rod. I saw one very similar on this website a couple years ago and just had to have one. It started as a cheapo local police trade-in and I bought the parts as I could afford them. Have fun with whatever you end up with.

100_2043-1.jpg

Edited by Five of Clubs

You can have a lot of fun with a stock 22. Although I agree with the other posts about priorities for gear, I would also throw out the following: ask around the club/range where you shoot and see who uses .40 Glocks. Many of us purchased intermediate gear that we still have, but never use.

I usually bring along my old mag pouches to local matches. Sometimes people show up who don't have anything, and I don't mind loaning them out. If you get bitten hard by the shooting bug, you might be able to get by on loaners until you can pick something like a CRSpeed belt and pouches.

For shits and giggles I'll shoot my issue Gen4 Glock 22 with matching duty rig, Level 3 holster, and factory 180+pf ammo in our local club matches in L10. I do well enough all things considered. To be competitive two things that have to be addressed right away are getting decent sights (Warren, Dawson, etc.) and some work done on the trigger. Its damn hard to be precise with the stock night sights and 5.5lb connector... The platform will not hold you back too much once you get up to speed with sights and trigger work. A cheap kydex type holster and mag pouches will be adequate while first starting out. As others have said practice, practice, practice.

I have had the dawson sights before but prefer the sevigney. I just like the deep/wide notch. Just wish I could get something similar for the 1911/2011(its not a novak cut). I would look at the Atlanta Arms ammo in minor. Its good quality competition loads and is just as cheap if not cheaper than the walmart ammo.

• 8 months later...

G22 is a great platform, could be the last gun you'll ever need if you wanted it to be...

Like Jman said, do some searches, all the info you'd ever need is around.

If you want to do a quick and cheap upgrade drop $15 on a 3.5lb connector and look up the $.25 trigger job, as for sights you'll find the Warren/Sevigny's get high marks around here (Ameriglo Defoor's are pretty much the same thing but cheaper).

The shooting part is the hard part... Two words: Ammo & Practice.

Good luck.

I have been searching for days on a Dawson front sight height recommendation for the G22 Warren Tactical rear/Dawson front and I can't seem to find one.... Do you have a thought on the front sight height? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I put the Warren Sevigny competition rear with front FO sight. It came with a .245 high and looked nice and got me on target. But after a couple of matches I noticed my scores/shots were not what I was calling. I had a 4 hour 1on1 with a local GM and I am shooting great groups but right at 2-2 14 inches low of my POA. It wasn't much of a problem to just change my POA but when you are on the run and come to a texas star it will challenge you to the point of frustration. I am trying .215's now and will hope it is POA/POI. Will let you know when I get to shoot it again!

Cheers

Glock 22 is great to use for a starting gun. Like some said, it could be the last gun you buy or build for competition. I started out with a 22 in production and download my ammo. Shoots better then my 9MM G17. All in all its personal preference. Get out there and go shoot with what you have then make a decision on what you want to change and keep.

Blcksmk