Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need a new free float tube

Corey

So here is my story, I have a Troy quad rail on the front of my rifle currently and as you can imagine, its quite heavy. Im looking for something a little lighter to drop some unnecessary weight. Id really like something to be able to mount my Magpul AFG on the bottom of it (I think I want to stick with it up front for now). Aluminum/carbon fiber, something dark in color for some potential varmint hunting as well.

What are my options??

Thanks!

I have the Troy 13" TRX Extreme which weighs 11.43 oz. IIRC it would be a direct replacement for your forearm using the same barrel nut.

It comes with short sections of rail you can add for accessories. You would need a low profile gas block for the 13", but they make them in 9"(8.46oz), and 11"(9.93oz) also. Very light forearms. VTAC has a version with different styling if you prefer slots to holes.

IMG_1691.jpg

Jesse, how does that feel in the hand?

I like it!

It does have those raised ridges running lengthwise where the rails can be attached so its not supper smooth like the Carbon fiber tubes but there are no sharp edges like the tacticool cheese graters either. It feels very similar to the rifle length VTAC I was using except now my hand goes all the way out and doesn't touch the hot barrel or the gas block. Plus I saved 3 oz over the rifle length VTAC and gained 2.5".

I wish I could gain 2.5" everywhere! :roflol:

ive got the FSB shaved down already so length should be a non issue for me at this point. just looking for a way to save some weight and possibly mount the AFG if i feel the need.

Dump the pistol grip up front & use a carbon fiber handguard & dump about a full pound. If the front grip touches any prop , you will be uped to open class.

what if the tube touches the prop? do i still need to keep skin between the two?

im wondering if the aluminum barrel nut is exposed or covered by the handguard itself. dont care for 3gun use, but id rather not have a shiney piece of aluminum in the hunting woods...

The tube completely covers the barrel nut. There are no mechanical fasterners, you have to glue the tube to the nut after the nut is on.

Be warned, the surface of the tube is not dull. It's not shiny but it's not dull either.

Like Benny says... get the clark carbon fiber tube. It is cheap, lite, and works quite well.

The one thing I don't like about mine is that it gets gawd awful hot really fast out in the sun.

I thought that was the idea of carbon was to not get hot.....

I don't know about that, but I had mine out in the sun earlier this month and even without being shot, the tube was hot to the touch when the rest of the rifle was only warm. It may have just been the circumstances as the rifle was sitting on a ground pad for about 10min while I was downrange getting the targets set up. When I came back and sat down and picked it up, it was quite a shock to see how hot it was.

I hadn't thought of paint but that's not a bad idea. What kind of paint I wonder?

I like my Clark Carbon Fiber tube as well. Does anybody make a 15" carbon tube? Now that would be the $hit!

PRI - I'm looking at getting one myself. I think you can order the competition version without rails for a cheaper price.

PRI

Edited by sniperfrog

I like my Clark Carbon Fiber tube as well. Does anybody make a 15" carbon tube? Now that would be the $hit!

PRI - I'm looking at getting one myself. I think you can order the competition version without rails for a cheaper price.

PRI

That $205 dollar plain jane model is the one to buy. You can then drill a hole through it and put a sling swivel on as well.

I don't know about that, but I had mine out in the sun earlier this month and even without being shot, the tube was hot to the touch when the rest of the rifle was only warm. It may have just been the circumstances as the rifle was sitting on a ground pad for about 10min while I was downrange getting the targets set up. When I came back and sat down and picked it up, it was quite a shock to see how hot it was.

I hadn't thought of paint but that's not a bad idea. What kind of paint I wonder?

You are quite correct about the sun heating up carbon fiber that is unpainted. Even if its painted black it will be cooler when laying flat on the ground or table. Try standing your rifle up as in a gun rack if ones available at your range, it really helps. Also cover a generous portion of the forearm with 2" wide skate type tape. It will give a good grippy surface and also keep it from heating up.

whoowee, that PRi is a pricey lil guy. the clark one seems like its in my price range with discounts and whatnot

Check with Clint U66 in the forums, he's selling a GEN III PRI handguard for two bills; natural color though. I've bought stuff from him before and never been disappointed.

This thread