Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of holsters are recommended for production/limited

cali shot doc

Do the majority use paddle holster or belt loop holsters? Speed Holsters? Plastic/leather/cloth holsters? Holsters with a retention screw or strap? How do you see what holster fits? Where I live there is really only one gun store with holsters to try but their selection is limited. I have to buy online in order to really get a good selection.

Welcome to the forums!

Strongly suggest to attend a few of your local matches and look around.

Belt, speed, plastic, no straps. :)

Competition holster manufacturers make holsters for the most widely used guns in the game.

I use a Bladetech DOH with TEK-LOC for my XDM in production. There are several forum dealers who deal in holsters, CPWSA, Shooters Connection and Speed Shooter to name a few. In limited I would say that Ghost and CR Speed are the most popular in our area, though I think the DOH does just fine for a beginning shooter. Hope this helps...

I love my CompTac belt holster. Works great. I use the same holster for Production, Limited and Limited 10. (I shoot Glocks - a 24 in Limited/Limited 10 and a 34 in Production). No matter what division I am in, my draw (for that mater, holster, bet, mag pouches, positions, etc...) is always the same.

+1 on looking around at a few matches. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. I personally like helping newer shooters get started. I wish I would have done a little more asking myself! I have bought and sold items that were just not cut out for our game!

Also do a search here for holsters, belts, anything actually, to see what others have learned or shared.

Most of us order online since most average gun shops don't carry the kind of rigs we need. Go to any of the vendors on this forum and buy with complete confidence. I personally prefer shooters connection. Their shipping can't be beat and their prices are some of the best around especially if you register with them as a forum member. ;)

If you're thinking of running the same holster in Production & Limited (certainly can be done to save some $$ when you're new in the game), remember that there are specific holster restrictions in Production.

Download the new June 2010 rule book from the USPSA website (separate thread on the Forum with the direct link). Look at the Production division rules, page 77 of the book (page 83 of the pdf file). Then look around at matches, talk with people about what they like or don't like. It's certainly OK to borrow gear from somebody while you're looking around to decide what you'd like. Most of us own more than one holster & are willing to share for the duration of a match.

Initially, I had a Blackhawk Serpa; didn't need the Level II locking device. I now use a Blade Tech on a CR Speed belt.

Play with a bunch and use what works best for you.

Do the majority use paddle holster or belt loop holsters? Speed Holsters? Plastic/leather/cloth holsters? Holsters with a retention screw or strap? How do you see what holster fits? Where I live there is really only one gun store with holsters to try but their selection is limited. I have to buy online in order to really get a good selection.

What gun do you have? Best to ask fellow shooters if you can try out their rig and find what fits you best. For Production/Limited use I'll go with a Blade-Tech drop-off holster.

Hello: Comp-tac belt holster or there locking paddle holster are great. They are the fastest best fitting holsters I've tried and I've tried alot of them and sold most of them :roflol: The locking paddle sits out further and is easy to install and remove. I have owned 3 of those that other people just had to have. I should order another one for my Glock 34 :cheers: I agree that you should look at what people are using in your area to see what will fit your body type. Thanks, Eric

For poduction and limited I use the Bladetech DOH. Just nice to have the same draw for each gun. Works good for 3 gun also were you are moving alot more with the pistol in the holster. The Kydex just feels more secure for this than the open holsters

• 2 weeks later...

in the same boat here I use blade tech for my production rig and comp tac for my single stack rig.

i have not had a problem out of either, take you time and do your research.

there is a lot of great people out there that will let you try out something all you have to do is ask.

J.kee

I prefer my comp-tac belt holster for production. I like blade tech holsters but I feel that the comp-tac's are a tad bit better made and draw a bit smoother. Could be just how I have my holsters set up. Either is terrific, though shipping from comp-tac is super fast and customer service first rate (fyi no experience w/ blade-tech CS though I'm sure it's first rate). Definitely go with a kydex belt holster of some variety, less to go wrong, much more tolerant of the elements, and faster presentation.

CAZ