Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 9mm 1911's

JoeInKS

I'm new to the whole 1911 platform and have been shooting mostly M&P, Glock, Springfield, and H&K up to now. Have always had the desire to get a nice 1911 but, of all things, in 9mm. Have been looking at the STI pistols and some other sites. Can anyone make a recommendation for a stainless finish manufacturer / model that will mostly be used for local league shooting (not intending to have a race gun or the like; I'm just not that good). Ideally would like something out of the box that has a good trigger. If I get a single-stack model, what's the largest capacity magazine that I can acquire? If I go the double-stack route, is there anything other than the magazine area components that are not interchangeable with parts from Midway or the like?

Have even considered starting with a frame and building from there....

Thanks!

Springfield makes a SS 9mm. Trigger can sometimes be dececent but definately not a competition trigger. For a single stack its going to be a 10 round mag max with the tripp mags. For a double stack, it depends on the length, guts, tuning etc.

I love my Dan Wesson PM9. However, DW is not manufacturing them this year, if you can find one they're pretty good out of the box. The only thing they really need for competition is a magwell(IMO).

I'd say Dan Wesson also.. but they arent in the 2010 line up (there are some used ones around). Next choice is a STI Spartan, then Trojan depending on how much you want to spend.

Springfield and Smith and Wesson would be my next choices.

I just got an STI Trojan 9mm and have the 40 version also great gun's. Just shot the 9 yesterday for the first time ate all my reloads without a hitch. There's also the new Spartan, about $300.00 dollars or so less than the Trojan but there are guy's on here that love them and already have high round count's, I'm sure they will chime in.

I love my Dan Wesson PM9. However, DW is not manufacturing them this year, if you can find one they're pretty good out of the box. The only thing they really need for competition is a magwell(IMO).

Darn it!

One of the local shops had one just recently that was part of a set sold back to the shop. I looked at it and liked the look / feel. Since I knew nothing about the quality of the gun / manufacturer I went home to research. I liked what I read and went back the next day. Of course, it was sold. Three days 'for sale'.

Another store has a Springfield Armory 9mm and it looks great but has a terrible trigger feel (marked Brazil). How hard is it to improve the trigger yourself or rough cost to have another do it?

Darn it!

One of the local shops had one just recently that was part of a set sold back to the shop. I looked at it and liked the look / feel. Since I knew nothing about the quality of the gun / manufacturer I went home to research. I liked what I read and went back the next day. Of course, it was sold. Three days 'for sale'.

Another store has a Springfield Armory 9mm and it looks great but has a terrible trigger feel (marked Brazil). How hard is it to improve the trigger yourself or rough cost to have another do it?

I would say STI will have the better trigger out of the box. The rest you'll probably need to have a trigger job done.

I have been very impressed with the Springfield Stainless Loaded Target 9mms I have handled. Mine has a great trigger pull that only required a mild tweaking of the sear spring. I added a S&A magwell, a Dawson FO front sight, and a piece of grip tape, and it worked great in steel matches all last year. No malfunctions. My friend bought the same gun, we set it up for him exactly the same way, and he has been equally pleased. Again, all it took to reveal a nice competition trigger was adjustment of the sear spring tension.

There was a PM-9 on USPSA classifieds a little bit ago. Might still be there.

The Dan Wesson will have no MIM parts. My out of the box trigger was right at 4.5 lbs, a little heavy but was crisp.

If I didnt already have a Dan Wesson PM-9 (2 actually, working on a third), Id go with a Spartan or Trojan and put a EGW or C&S Fire control group in it and go. Might even contact someone to do a custom with Caspian parts and get it how I want it.

My 9mm Trojan has moved to the top of my favorite pistol list, seems I shoot it more than any of my others. Fun and cheap to shoot. For the money it's hard to beat. Please look at all options but the under cut trigger guard of the Trojan gives it a great feel. Anything that you purchase would need a trigger job and a few options, mag well etc. It's fun to tailor the pistol to you which ever brand you pick.

My Trojan has over 10,000 rounds and is still tight and a Great shooter.

There was a PM-9 on USPSA classifieds a little bit ago. Might still be there.

The Dan Wesson will have no MIM parts. My out of the box trigger was right at 4.5 lbs, a little heavy but was crisp.

If I didnt already have a Dan Wesson PM-9 (2 actually, working on a third), Id go with a Spartan or Trojan and put a EGW or C&S Fire control group in it and go. Might even contact someone to do a custom with Caspian parts and get it how I want it.

Thanks for the feedback. The night I met with you there was a gentleman with a PM9 that allowed me to use it. I had forgotten that I had done so. It was a good looking / feeling gun. Of all places, the Bullet Hole had the PM9 just recently. Still kicking myself.

Do either the Spartan or Trojan come in stainless? Yes, I'm odd, I like the look of stainless. Going to call STI and Springfield Armory on Monday about getting information on their 9mm offerings. Does a Kimber rate in the same league as the STI /Springers? S&W makes a beautiful looking SW1911 but I don't know that much about them.

If you're still shooting pins on Thursday, I'll see you there. Finally have a little spare time and am in town on a consistent basis.

I'm new to the whole 1911 platform and have been shooting mostly M&P, Glock, Springfield, and H&K up to now. Have always had the desire to get a nice 1911 but, of all things, in 9mm. Have been looking at the STI pistols and some other sites. Can anyone make a recommendation for a stainless finish manufacturer / model that will mostly be used for local league shooting (not intending to have a race gun or the like; I'm just not that good). Ideally would like something out of the box that has a good trigger. If I get a single-stack model, what's the largest capacity magazine that I can acquire? If I go the double-stack route, is there anything other than the magazine area components that are not interchangeable with parts from Midway or the like?

Have even considered starting with a frame and building from there....

Thanks!

Taurus makes a 1911 in SS 9mm , I have 2 of there 1911s in 38 super . Did a little work to them and they shot awesome........

Or hardchrome a spartan/trojan and have the best of both world.

Yeah, I read that this was an option.... Would love to see a picture or one in person of something that's been chromed. God willing it doesn't have the finish of a chromed Harley part (on a gun) but looks like stainless typically found (not shiny / blinding). I'm assuming that the finish would be durable.

So far leaning towards the Springfield Loaded Target 9mm. Should I favor the Geneseo stamped frames or don't worry about whether it's stamped "Brazil" (since Springfield seems to be a reseller / importer these days)

Appreciate everyone's patience and feedback.

Edited by JoeInKS

I recently picked up a STI Spartan in 9mm from Freedom Gunworks, one of the vendors here on the forum. Base gun is $ 635. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108016

The fit & finish was way better than what I was expecting at that price point. The trigger is not a competition trigger by any means but I was not expecting one either. I was planning on dropping in a EGW hammer/sear/spring anyway.

A matte hardchrome finish would look sweet. :)

So far leaning towards the Springfield Loaded Target 9mm. Should I favor the Geneseo stamped frames or don't worry about whether it's stamped "Brazil" (since Springfield seems to be a reseller / importer these days)

If the one marked brazil has the novak rear sights I would try to get the one with the target sights and I think it would be a NM framed gun and not marked Brazil. Not that the markings mean anything I would just rather have the adjustable sights.

(since Springfield seems to be a reseller / importer these days)

<_<

http://www.brianenos...howtopic=106690

Not a hard chrome picture but what about the finish on this one(frame not the slide)

Well if that's what it'll look like, looks pretty good.

Now the big question (not really).... bull barrel or bushing?

If you actually want it to be USPSA or IDPA legal you'll need a bushing barrel.

I shoot an STI Trojan in 40 S&W and a Dan Wesson PM-9 in 9mm. Both are excellent in terms of reliability and accuracy. I owned a Springfield 1911 target in 9mm which was very relliable but suffered in the accuracy department - 4+ inch grouops at 25 yards was the best i could get after a trip o the factory.