Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Relocation with a moving company

RUSHARP2

So part of my deal was relocation... the company showed up when expected packed everything my wife asked them too and asked about things we didn't even want to take. They showed up today, when they said they would, and loaded the semi with all our stuff. Seemingly too really good care of everything, making sure it was packed well and shrink wrapped. The head guy apologized that he would not be there at the end of the trip as he was taking another load some place different.

We are also having a car shipped to and the guy called before he showed up and was right on time.

It was really nice not to really lift a finger and have these guys bust their butts helping us out. The say they do the same on the other end.

I was not completely impressed with the other part of the relocation company but the household goods part was great.

Now only a 14-15 hour drive with the wife, 2 dogs and a cat to go before Austin in our home.

So part of my deal was relocation... the company showed up when expected packed everything my wife asked them too and asked about things we didn't even want to take. They showed up today, when they said they would, and loaded the semi with all our stuff. Seemingly too really good care of everything, making sure it was packed well and shrink wrapped. The head guy apologized that he would not be there at the end of the trip as he was taking another load some place different.

We are also having a car shipped to and the guy called before he showed up and was right on time.

It was really nice not to really lift a finger and have these guys bust their butts helping us out. The say they do the same on the other end.

I was not completely impressed with the other part of the relocation company but the household goods part was great.

Now only a 14-15 hour drive with the wife, 2 dogs and a cat to go before Austin in our home.

I like it when everything works as planned, I moved from Dallas TX to Norcross 30 yrs ago.

the Co. that moved us did a great job They even had our clothes in the right rooms. Save all your paper work, We got hit with the moving expense as unearned income. Some one at my office filed the wrong tax forms :angry:

I went through one of those events once. It was great. A guy showed up with a station wagon full of flattened boxes, packing material and tape. He said to make a pile of the things I didn't want to go on the truck.

A one point I went to get another doughnut from the box my neighbors brought over that morning and they were gone. I had neglected to put them in the "don't pack" pile and we went through 7-8 boxes before we found them.

When the truck arrived they grabbed two hand trucks and had my stuff loaded in a flash.

Painless...

• 10 years later...

These movers are hit or miss. I relocated a few times with the government and have had the full spectrum of guys showing up reeking of booze, to people who packed it better than I wouldve.  Most were somewhere in the middle and wood furniture never made it unscathed any time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

That's nice to able to get everything down in one fell swoop. We moved and a had a car shipped last year and it was somewhat of a pain to find a moving company that could do both (shout out to Three Men and A Truck). Austin seems like a hot place to move right now and it's not a bad place to settle in my estimation - taxes alone make it financially worth it in my opinion. I don't envy a 15 hour drive with a dog and two cats though. Not sure I could manage that. 

On 7/24/2021 at 8:12 PM, Slingrat said:

Taxes alone make it financially worth it in my opinion.

Texas has a lot of hidden taxes, especially county property taxes. Depending on how much you plan to put into a house and your salary it can be a higher tax burden than states with income taxes.

I moved from Harris County Texas to Pima County Arizona recently for a slight pay raise. We gained a ~2% state income tax burden but lost ~2% of our property tax burden and since I make less than our house is worth, we have more to save every month. We also don't have to worry about power outages caused by a stubborn legislature with poor foresight, hopefully.

• 2 years later...
On 7/29/2021 at 11:58 PM, belus said:

Texas has a lot of hidden taxes, especially county property taxes. Depending on how much you plan to put into a house and your salary it can be a higher tax burden than states with income taxes.

I moved from Harris County Texas to Pima County Arizona recently for a slight pay raise. We gained a ~2% state income tax burden but lost ~2% of our property tax burden and since I make less than our house is worth, we have more to save every month. We also don't have to worry about power outages caused by a stubborn legislature with poor foresight, hopefully.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the tax differences between Texas and Arizona.

Dealing with the threat of wildfires is no joke, especially in California. When I lived there, it was a constant worry. I remember feeling the stress every fire season. Exploring options for moving to safer areas is totally understandable. If you ever decide to make a move, maybe https://threemovers.com/movers-by-the-hour/ could come in handy. They offer flexible solutions for any kind of move.

Edited by Srihachan