Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Nationals

MBneACP

Hi all;

The USPSA marketing committee has asked me to help out with the Factory Nationals coming up in July! I'm really excited, because I think this match can be a watershed for USPSA and for practical shooting in general. A lot of the concepts for the match that you'll be seeing over the next couple of weeks came from the ideas you all posted on this list--so thanks muchly.

More than anything else, I've been impressed by Mike Voigt's *and* the BoD's committment to make this a really landmark competition, something that everyone who attends will remember.

I plan to keep this forum and the USPSA Members forum up to date on announcements as we firm things up.

Hope to see a lot of you there!

Michael B

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start with the name.  "Factory Gun" sounds kinda lame after we had the tease of "Street Gun".  Compare to "Steel Challenge"...two words that make guys want to compete.  Or, "Single Stack Classic"...makes it sound like a tradition, promotes nostalgia.

My guess is neither.  

I didn't make the decision (it is the USPSA President's to make), but I know that I, as one of the officers of USPSA, got a *flood* of email from people complaining that "street gun" brought on connotations of gang-bangers, stolen guns, "saturday night specials", etc.  

I don't know of any economic interest in our sport that *would* have tried to influence it one way or the other (let alone could have); I also don't tend to think of this as a particularly "political" decision (I mean, I didn't see any person or group lobbying one way or the other).  What I *did* see was an attempt to find a name that would (A) bring to mind a defining image of what this nationals match is about, and (B) without sticking our feet in something that we didn't have to.  

I personally thought the street-gun name was pretty cool - sorta like street cars, or the like.  But I can also see how we might spend so much time backpedaling from the inferences that people would lose sight of what a *very* cool idea it is to try splitting the nationals up this way.

bruce

Bruce,

I understand the implications, but I hate the fact that membership wants to be PC.  What's the point?  I'm not saying WTF - lets go to the match in camo makeup and chant "kill kill kill," but I don't see any reason for PC wordsmithing anymore.  

No matter what we call the Nationals, the Media and the Soccer Mom demographic is going to hate it - and us.  There's nothing left to gain by this pandering.  I'm actually really surprised Voigt made this decision considering his position (rightly IMHO) on not supporting IPSC's trend toward headless targets and poppers.  

I thought "Streetgun Nationals" was a balls-y name when I first saw it.  I liked it.  Sad to see it go.

End of Rant.

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 8:01 pm on Mar. 2, 2002)

How about opening it up to all us former USPSA members that shoot only IDPA now? When I first heard about it I was ready to sign up. Then I realized it would be impossible to get a slot for this year.    What are the chances of getting in?  I would love to shoot my model 10 S&W.

I did like the name "Street Gun Nationals". Could you come with a cooler  name than factory gun nationals?

Bill Nesbitt  Former USPSA A-class A-4429 Open & Lim

Current Master Class Stock Service Revolver IDPA A-282

I can't speak to any specific plans... they are being formed as we speak.  I *can* say that in all the conversations we've been having about the factory gun nationals, there has been a lot of conversation about "you" - the folks who used to shoot USPSA, and might just be interested in what we're going to be doing this year.  

So... stay tuned.  I would expect some real effort to reach people like you, and "welcome them back."  Starting soon....

I don't think the slots will be "impossible to get" - but, I *do* think there is significant demand for them (as there should be - this is one of the premier matches in the sport), and I expect that those who are able to shoot it will be happy they did...

bruce

BILL,

Email Kim at USPSA.  There is a waiting list.  Just get on it.  

kim@uspsa.org

(And...yes...they still have those pork-chop sandwiches.  Thanks for the heads-up last year.)

(Edited by Flexmoney at 5:40 pm on Mar. 3, 2002)

(Edited by Flexmoney at 5:42 pm on Mar. 3, 2002)

BTW - if you (or anyone) *does* think they want a slot to the factory gun nationals, a good place to start is to dust off your USPSA membership.  

On the "members only" section of the website, there is an on-line form where you can get on the list for a slot.  No guarantees about how far down that list they'll get, but... its a sure thing that if you aren't on it, your chances of getting a slot are smaller   ;-)  

You'll have to be a member to shoot the match anyway, so why not re-up now?

bruce

July 19-23, I think.  I don't have them in front of me.  

Also, I haven't seen a match schedule yet, so I'm not sure whether all of those are "shoot" days - there is generally a day up front for registration and shooters meeting, and the last day is usually prizes, trophies and shootoffs.

bruce

Bummer. Same weekend as the West Virginia State IDPA Championship where I am the assistant match director. Where I will be shooting my model 10 S&W.

Thanks anyway. Maybe next year.

Bill Nesbitt.

Dates are July 19-23 in Quincy, but the schedule isn't set for shooting days.

FWIW, I lobbied for the "Streetgun" name with Mike V., but some people I really respect in the industry (and who are every bit as PC as, say, Cartman on "South Park") disagreed strongly with me.

Key thing here is the match will rock. Bill, I'm 100% with you on reaching out. I think you're gonna be surprised. A Nationals should be something where every single participant goes home saying, "Wow! I'm darn glad I was there!"  

I'm just babbling here, but I think it might be really interesting to see the great masters of the single stack shoot against a whole different generation of shooters with down-loaded Limited raceguns on courses of fire that people are going to be *talking* about for a while. Might be even more interesting if you tossed the top tier of IDPA shooters into the mix. Be interesting to see who walks away number one, if for no other reason than bragging rights.

This is the level playing field.

Michael B

You will need to make Production a big deal if you want IDPA shooters to attend.

At most big IDPA shoots there is 30% Stock Service Pistol (similar to USPSA Production), 30% Enhanced Service Pistol (non 45 ACP single action), 30% Custom Defensive Pistol (45ACP single action) and 10% Stock Service Revolver.

The ESP shooters would be minor and my guess is half would switch to 45's and half would shoot production. I think you could get a fair amount of revolver shooters out also.

Bill Nesbitt

When I first read the name "Street Gun" I mulled it over for about ten seconds and started e-mailing.  Yes, the Bradys and other PC drones will always hate us.  But there is no point in handing them a great big stick to whack us with, and "Street Gun" would have been just that.

Face it, "Street Gun" and "Street Rod" do not carry the same connotations.

And if we want to get the manufacturers back with us, the prospect of being mugged by the PC crowd over their sponsoring the "Carying a gun on the street like the gang-bangers do" Nationals won't be enticing.

Besides, if it was really going to be the "Street Gun Nationals" we'd all have to start each stage concealed, and show our CCW's to the nice policeman at the end.

I agree that USPSA members should get first pick of slots. It would be a good thing for USPSA though if they could make the match big enough to include some of the folks who left USPSA for IDPA. We're all shooters. We need to stick together. Anything done to help unite ALL shooters will be a good thing for the shooting sports.

Bill Nesbitt

Street gun was hardly accurate either. Most of the guns that will be competeing there are far from 'street worthy' they are raceguns by another name. Much like WRC (world rally car) has its different classes (or BTCC... British Touring Car) for Open and production cars, even the production class cars are not what you find on the lot, and sure not a day to day driver. Factory is not really correct either, but closer to the facts. I think it should be the Production Nationals and put Limited ten guns with the Limited/Open nationals....they are essentially the same guns anyways, just capacity challenged. Lets see who does what with an out of the box gun.

Pat

Hi all;

Spent HOURS (quite literally) on the phone hashing through waiting list issues, and it looks REALLY GOOD! The intent is, of course, that the match be large enough to accomodate everyone on the waiting list (which I am ALSO on). Obviously, members have priority!. But you do need to get your names on the list NOW--have already talked to people who are joining just to put their names on that list to shoot this match. If you've got friends waffling, you might give them a little push to sign up.

Initial firearms industry support has been just super. Better than I had hoped. Dave Thomas from World Command is coming down to Florida to help us out at the MYSTERY WRITERS SHOOT (100 mystery novelists, a truck-load of guns and the hapless Lisa Munson, Gila Hayes and Sharon Edington...ought to be interesting! My money's on the women...). Most of the handgun end of the industry will be on hand, and we have some serious sit-down time scheduled. Should be some announcements after that.

Initial firearms media response has been equally good. Fingers crossed, but we might be able to get some national media on hand...looks promising.

BTW...I can still use RANGE OFFICERS in Ft. Lauderdale (Markham Park) Saturday, March 16, 5PM-10PM. Your job will be to keep the top mystery writers in American from shooting anybody, especially us. Strange, but fun.

MB

Was curious who was going to the factory nationals?  Shooting what division?  Would be a great opportunity for BE forum members to get together for a face-to-face. I will be there shooting production.

(Edited by cpty1 at 1:16 pm on Mar. 12, 2002)

(Edited by cpty1 at 4:23 pm on Mar. 21, 2002)