Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Glock And Trigger Reset

howardw

The Glock and trigger reset

This may be an old topic, but I cannot find any real mention of it using the search function. There is a ton of information out there regarding modifying the trigger mechanism on the Glock, but not a whole lot on trigger reset.

From what I can gather, as far as practical pistol goes there are two different trigger reset techniques: fully coming off the trigger after each shot and letting off the trigger only enough to reset.

I tend to let off on the trigger more than I have to. I don’t think I fully come off the trigger with my finger though. Using this method it is difficult for me to get splits below .18. It happens, but it is rare. I can rather consistently hit 7yd bill drills clean in 2 secs with an IDPA target. My best time being 1.85 clean.

Using the minimal let off technique I can get splits down to .13.

I guess my question is: should I practice letting off the trigger just enough to reset it, or should I stay with my current method. I’ve been warned before that the minimal reset technique can lead to short stroking the trigger, and therefore should avoided. But, I suppose that is a training/practice issue more than anything though.

I suppose that each technique has its use, just like different shots require different focus levels.

Does anyone know what technique Sevigny uses?

Thanks,

Howard Walker

For the record: I'm shooting a G34 with a 3.5# connector and a reduced power striker spring.

Howard I just asked a similar question on here, my opinion is see what works for you, what you are consistently fastest with.

Another thing to consider is what trigger your using, if you get a Vanek trigger using the reset technique doesn't make much sense because he eliminates most of the pre-travel and therefore there isn't much advantage to using the reset technique.

It's all about the reset. You'll shoot faster and more accurately if you shoot from the reset. The pre-travel is there just as added protection if you do something stupid like pick up the gun off a table with your finger on the trigger.

Incorperate shooting from the reset into your dryfire and range practice. After you dryfire hold the trigger back, then rack the slide back 1/4". Then let the trigger forward back to the reset. Dry fire as usual. At the range practice shooting and then holding the trigger back. Release the trigger back to reset, and fire the next shot.

Glocks have a two-stage trigger. I think a lot of shooters get tripped up by this...and benefit from the "reset" technique.

Some trigger work can greatly reduce the two-stage feel...which might make slapping the trigger just as appealing to some.

I have not been able to short stroke my G-34, but I do it at least twice a match with my 9mm 1911. I think because of the higher reset tension from the striker spring I don't have the problem with the Glock. Also, I have an overtravel screw that was installed by CGR in my 34, which really minimizes the amount of reset needed.

By the way I shoot the reset, and my splits at the last match I shot were between .12 and .17 on the stages where I had a chance to check. That is abnormally fast for me.

Incorperate shooting from the reset into your dryfire and range practice. After you dryfire hold the trigger back, then rack the slide back 1/4". Then let the trigger forward back to the reset. Dry fire as usual.

Try doing this very fast. Learn to to it fast without your FS moving at all.

Yes, Joe, Leatham's technique is one of the things that I'm thinking about when I think I might want to stay the course with what I'm doing now, but he's also shooting a 1911 trigger which is quite different from a Glock trigger.

I have experimented a little at the range between slapping and doing what I normally do, and have determined that while I come off the trigger more than I need to, I'm not slapping the trigger, except maybe on really close targets.

Howard

Slapping is a valid way to go if you have the Vanek trigger or other Glock trigger work that takes away the 2-stage feel.

I slap the tip of my index finger right onto the bottom of the trigger (up&down-wise) and right at the center (on the safety-trigger, which I've filed back a touch to be even with the main trigger.)

Slapping is a good method if you're interested in keeping the other 3 fingers of your stronghand completely isolated -- constant grip pressure and no movement of the gun. Rob Leatham is VERY interested in isolating those other 3 fingers, which might be one reason why he does the trigger slap. BTW I think he's the KING of one-hand shooting in ipsc - with either hand.

One of Rob's teaching techniques - you may have seen him on TV - is to have the shooter hold everything still while HE pulls the trigger for you. The groups on the target are usually very very small.