Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 550b Problems

I just got a new 550b (loading in 40 s&w). I have loaded maybe 10 rounds or so, but the primers seemed to not even be seated flush on them.

I decided that the little plunger that seats the primers in the primer bar must be too far down, so I loosened the set screw, and raised it slightly. At this point, I can't get it to work at all.

I'm having every kind of problem. Getting the brass primer holder thing to actually line up with the bottom of the primer magazine is proving just about impossible. Sometimes it bumps against the side of the housing, so it won't go in; sometimes the blue feed lips of the magazine are just a hair too low, and end up stopping it from going in all the way; sometimes the primer plunger doesn't go into the shell plate correctly.

No matter what I do, solving one problem seems to start another. I followed the instructions in the Dillon manual to put it together, and it seemed to work ok then, aside from the underseating of the primers, but for the life of me I cannot get it back into a working configuration. Are there any instructions on how to do this? I looked at youtube, and searched here, but haven't found anything addressing this exact problem. I've been working on this for the last couple of hours, have spilled hundreds of primers on the floor and everywhere else, and I think if I keep trying to do this myself, I'm going to break something, assuming I haven't already done so.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

What you did was raise the primer cup and not the pin. You need to loosen that cup and push it back down where it was. IF it's to high it will also bump into the primer mag orifice and spill primers all over the place.

If the primers aren't seating you have to much play in the shell plate and it's rising up as you seat the primer. Loosen the set screw on the ram and turn the bolt on top of the shell plate to remove any play there. Then tighten your set screw. If should turn free, but when you push down on it you should have very little movement. leave the press empty and work the ram up and down and watch the primer punch and cup come through the shell plate. It should not rub or hit it in any way. You will be able to feel a drag as it passes through if it's not aligned properly. At this point you have probably wrecked the primer tube orifice too, so replace it with the spare and order more.

Edited by JThompson

What you did was raise the primer cup and not the pin. You need to loosen that cup and push it back down where it was. IF it's to high it will also bump into the primer mag orifice and spill primers all over the place.

If the primers aren't seating you have to much play in the shell plate and it's rising up as you seat the primer. Loosen the set screw on the ram and turn the bolt on top of the shell plate to remove any play there. Then tighten your set screw. If should turn free, but when you push down on it you should have very little movement. leave the press empty and work the ram up and down and watch the primer punch and cup come through the shell plate. It should not rub or hit it in any way. You will be able to feel a drag as it passes through if it's not aligned properly. At this point you have probably wrecked the primer tube orifice too, so replace it with the spare and order more.

Sounds about right. There is a groove for the set screw to go in on the primer anvil/cup assembly. You have to push the cup down pretty good but you will feel it line up.

Many folks forget all about the set screw in the ram that keeps the shell plate from working loose.

There is the possibility that if you left out the spacer beneath the primer slide that it wouldn't seat correctly. I would expect the primer tube to give you fits dropping primers in the cup also.

Is the primer system sitting directly on the press frame? There should be a black metal spacer between the frame and priming system.

The spacer isn't shown but I attached a pdf that shows the correct dimensions for the primer slide and it's components when assembled so you can verify it is together correctly before continuing.

Hope you get it running smoothly. It's unnerving to be unsure about the primer setup.

RL_550B_Auto_Primer_System.pdf

Thanks. I'll try tightening the shell plate down a bit more. There is a bit of slop there, although IIRC I couldn't get it much tighter without it rubbing, and not turning freely. Obviously I missed the mark.

As far as the other stuff, I do have it assembled correctly, got the set screw in there, have the black spacer plate, and already did have to replace the orifice with the one from the spare parts kit.

I hope it works! I can't wait to load some good ammo on it.

Loosen the set screw on the shaft then hold the bolt in place while turning the plate. Turn the bolt slightly one way or the other until you get just the right amount of resistance from the plate while turning. Then tighten the set screw before turning anything else.

Another thing to watch is how your bench is constructed, and if it is flexing too much for a good, positive seat of the primer.

When I began using my 550 I had the exact problem you are describing. After going through all of the "checks" to make sure it

was put together correctly and getting the same results, I took a look at my bench, and found it less than stellar, as it had only

been used for a single stage previously.

I solved the problem temporarily by holding onto the press in the rear and pulling forward slightly, as I pushed forward on the handle

during the priming operation. Solved the problem for me.

Good Luck

I just got a new 550b (loading in 40 s&w). I have loaded maybe 10 rounds or so, but the primers seemed to not even be seated flush on them.

I decided that the little plunger that seats the primers in the primer bar must be too far down, so I loosened the set screw, and raised it slightly. At this point, I can't get it to work at all.

That is definitely the wrong maneuver. The primer seating punch needs to be bottomed out in the primer bar.

If the primers are not below flush then usually it's just a matter of pushing a bit harder. It's a "feel" thing that has a bit of a learning curve. Pause slightly, as you feel the primer/cup contact the primer pocket, and then with one smooth push feel the primer bottom out in the prmer pocket.

The best thing to do is call Dillon when you can be in front of the machine. They will get you going in no time.

Also:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.

I found out what the main problem was anyway. I somehow managed to bend my primer bar, so that the primer seating punch is off at a weird angle, so it won't go into the opening anymore. I switched to the large pistol primer bar, and it works now, but still, it's annoying. I'll have to try to fix (probably have to replace) the bar. What a nuisance. That's what I get for tying to make it work late at night I guess. Even with the shellplate tightened down so much it rubs on the bent piece of wire that knocks out completed rounds, the primers are still only seated flush. That's about as low as I can get them to go. Oh well. I guess that'll do.

Anyway, the speed is awesome! Even going slow in the beginning, this is much faster than my turret press ever was, even at my fastest. I think I made a good purchase.

Thanks everyone!

Uhh, if I'm not mistaken, that "bent piece of wire" should be located on top of the shellplate. and is adjustable for height as well. It should not be rubbing on anything. The only way the shell plate can rub on the wire is if it's too loose, not too tight.

post-18733-127996530351_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrumpyOne

Genius... Now I have to adjust my dies again.

Push the wire down a bit more then.....it shouldn't rub.

Sorry for pointing that out! :roflol:

I could stop pointing things out if you'd like..... :goof:

Ok, loosen the set screw in the ram. Push the wire shell ejector down as far as it will go. Tighten the bolt in the center of the shell plate tight, then back off until it spins somewhat tight but also freely, should be backed off about 1/4 turn of the bolt or so. Tighten the set screw. Re-adjust your dies. Another thing to watch for is the nut on the end of the handle. If your table has sides, this nut may hit the sides, and while this isn't bad, if the wood dents, each time you pull the handle down, it will change the OAL because the ram is actually moving higher with each stroke (ask me how I found this out!).

Edited by GrumpyOne

• 2 weeks later...

That wire (paper clip like thing) does not go on top of the shellplate. It goes next to it. Read the instructions for the press. Also, if you took the entire carrier of the ram you may need to re align it properly. I would read the instructions. Then call Dillon for a alignment tool. It's clearly not adjusted properly in the picture.

Edited by 98sr20ve