Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP short range tactical sight

Colodrew

I would like some advice on what distance other shooters have zeroed thier JPSRTS sight for?

Also,on a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being awesome how do you like using the JPSRTS for three gun?

Thanks in advance!

Drew

I zero'd mine for 25 yards.

If you are using an optic with a low magnification of 2x or higher, then they are very beneficial for those targets from contact out to about 40 yards, depending on target size.

However, now that most people can get a good variable with 1 to 1.5x on the low end, I find that I am faster NOT using the SRTS. Especially when short range small targets are used, I am better off with my scope. The levers that allow fast change of the magnification, at least for me, made the SRTSs obsolete, unles your low mag is 2x or higher.

I am running a Burris 1.5-6 XTR and in various drills, I have proven faster with the scope and mag change lever than using the SRTS. On my .223 Tac Scope rifle, I'd give it a 2. On my long range set-ups with high mag scopes and the need for a few fast close shots, I'd give it an 8.

I zero'd mine for 25 yards.

If you are using an optic with a low magnification of 2x or higher, then they are very beneficial for those targets from contact out to about 40 yards, depending on target size.

However, now that most people can get a good variable with 1 to 1.5x on the low end, I find that I am faster NOT using the SRTS. Especially when short range small targets are used, I am better off with my scope. The levers that allow fast change of the magnification, at least for me, made the SRTSs obsolete, unles your low mag is 2x or higher.

I am running a Burris 1.5-6 XTR and in various drills, I have proven faster with the scope and mag change lever than using the SRTS. On my .223 Tac Scope rifle, I'd give it a 2. On my long range set-ups with high mag scopes and the need for a few fast close shots, I'd give it an 8.

I've not had an opportunity to compete with mine, in fact I've only gotten to do a very little practice, but from what I've experienced I agree MarkCO. I went with a 2-8x scope for the longer ranges 75-400 yrs and the SRTS for <75 yards. With a 1-4x or 1.5-5x you may not really need the SRTS. I've got it sort of zeroed at ~25 yards now but once I select a final load I'll pick a close in zero that will also give me a ~400 yr estimated zero, just in case I need it. That should work out to something in the 40-50 yards range.

Mark,

My experience matches yours.

Also, I see a very large POI change from 10yrds to 35yrds which is more stuff to think about while shooting......and lord knows I am already thinking too much during the stage vs. it just being natural or automatic. :goof:

I need practice, practice, practice!

I've sighted mine for 25yds and primarily use it only on full sized close range hoser targets 25yds or less. I also run a Vortex Viper 2x-7x which handles a majority of the work since the clubs I shoot at tend to use reduced size targets (1/3 size) from 10-50yds. :cheers:

50yds.....also, I mounted mine as far back as possible. Faster pick up, maybe less accurate.....but heck, it's for close targets. Mounting it as far back as possible keeps it out of the way for ports and barricades.

At a 50yd sight.....I only have to compensate one way for distance changes and I really don;t use it for anything farther than 50yds.....but if I HAD to, well, it's the same zero distance as my scope (50yd zero abouot equal to 200yd zero)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am going to hold off buying or mounting the JP sight or any BUIS on my 3 gun build after reading this thread. I am getting a light weight 1-3 Weaver scope for an ultimate lightweight 3 gun build..It will be ultra light even with a meduim profile (fluted, though...31oz) 18 inch SS barrel. Less is more. I have to resist so many tempatations to ADD stuff. Will post mock up soon.

This was a VERY informative thread. Thanks all.

Edited by Bdave