Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide racker for a Buckmark

• 4 weeks later...

Title 'bout sez it all.

If you have an earlier model Buckmark (pre-2001 I think, like mine) you have the slide without the ears that make racking it much harder than the newer ones. The new slide uses new internals that make cleaning the firing pin area much easier. I uses about 85% new and different internal parts including a much longer lasting recoil buffer made from MHD polyethylene and not the cheaper plastic of the older model.

I considered making my own racker but I did not want to add any more weight to the slide without knowing if I could shave any off.

• 1 month later...

I've seen one done by someone that I really liked even better than upgrading to the later slide. However anything you add will affect the movement and the direction of the slide in recoil.

There are some nice things coming down the pipe. A friend of mine has completed the prototype of a *thumb rest [generic]* for the Ruger 22/45 Mk III that really feels good. We are going to look at doing one for the Browning also. I never know what to do with my left thumb on my open class Buckmark.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think it's the older ones that have the wings. Both my rifle and pistol have them and I know the rifle is quite a few years old. My son just doesn't have the grip strength to rack the slide after a misfire or any time the hammer/striker is down.

I've seen one done by someone that I really liked even better than upgrading to the later slide. However anything you add will affect the movement and the direction of the slide in recoil.

There are some nice things coming down the pipe. A friend of mine has completed the prototype of a *thumb rest [generic]* for the Ruger 22/45 Mk III that really feels good. We are going to look at doing one for the Browning also. I never know what to do with my left thumb on my open class Buckmark.

I'd love to have a *thumb rest [generic]* for my Buckmark...

• 3 weeks later...

Two things. The Buckmark slide with the wings was a 2001 change in the Buckmark line. It includes the newer easier to clean firing pin setup. As how it might apply to other models like the rifle or the Silhouette or Varmint I don't know although the only pictures of the rifle I have seen has the ears on the slide.

As for the *thumb rest [generic]* issue my friend Mike has designed a pedal for the Ruger Mk III. We have discussed what it would take to make one for the Buckmark. One issue is that the area above the trigger, which has plenty of meat to drill into, unfortunately also has the serial number. So whatever we do will have to avoid drilling into the actual number itself.

I have come up with a design that will work if you happen to be using some variation of aluminum grips. It bolts to the underside of the left grip and will require machining a small channel, plus drilling and tapping 2 small screw holes. The final design may include slots in the pedal bracket so there will be some adjustment front to rear for different hand sizes. I should have a sample done within a couple of weeks. That way it does not involve gunsmithy work on the gun itself.

Otherwise the best way to do it is to make a big bracket, drill and tap the frame, but leave a window in the bracket so the Ser. no. is still visible.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have built (ok, modified) a Buckmark for steel challenge it is a lot of fun. My first time out with it, I came 2nd out of 27 shooters. With that said, someone mentioned that having the slide milled out for a racker to be installed would hurt the gun's function.

Mine was milled out by Bill Striplin of Striplin Custom Gunworks (striplincustom.com) and one of his rackers installed. He did an excellent job, fully functional, and did not affect the operation of the gun in the slightest bit.

I have attached a youtube video of it's first runs if you want to see it in action. I know there's only 2 stages but it's a little over 50rds (I missed a couple of times) and it did the job...I'm sure that with a more experienced steel challenge shooter, the gun would have kept up with no issues at all.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwhMMrV0hxo