Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on a left handed competition shotgun

I am interested in getting into 3-gun and would like some input on shotgun choices. I am cross eye dominant and shoot long guns left handed. I have hunted over the years with both left and right handed shotguns and prefer the left handed models (I have several Benellis SBEs and 1100s in lefty) but don't mind shooting a right handed gun. Most of my black guns are righty (ARs and AKs) and I like them just fine. As I start to make decisions on which shotgun to buy, I would like to know whether there is an advantage to buying a left or right handed gun? I would almost think that a righty gun would allow for quicker reloads when being shot from the left shoulder. And, everyone knows the lefty choices are fewer and far between and typically more expensive.

Thanks in advance for the input-

J

Lefty 3gunna here, and I use all right handed guns, both pistols and long guns. I do not like left handed guns. However, I do install ambi safeties on everything, and ambi mag releases on my ARs.

Shotguns seem to be the easiest to use as a lefty, just reverse the safety and go (some shotguns are easier than others to reverse). I like being able to see directly into the ejection port to see jambs, etc without dismounting. A bolt-lock reload is quick for a lefty too espcially if using a 2 pack at the ejection port.

jj

I am lefthanded also. I love shooting righthanded long guns for the same reason RiggerJJ does, looking straight into the ejection port for clearing jams and reloads. Plus you can work charging handles w/your right hand and leave your firing grip alone, without having to reach under/over to get to it. Buddy of mine actually bought a left-side charging handle for his AK so he could run it like I do a regular AK. I run ambi's on my AR's, but leave the safeties alone on my shotguns. I like being able to put the gun on safe with my left index finger before dumping it in a barrel. Tried reversing my Benelli, just didn't like it. Adapt and overcome! And never sell a lefthanded holster, they are too hard to come by. Running the guns lefthanded isn't as bad as running courses of fire that were so clearly designed by righties with little to no regard for us!

I got the Nordic bolt handle for my rh benelli. It worked great until I had to run stages with the shotgun slung. If you sling it across your chest or even your back that thing digs in. I'm going to carry the original in my bag in case I run into cofs requiring a slung shotgun again.

I shoot all unmodified "right handed" guns. Right handed shotguns are an advantage for a lefty.

Work on transitioning to your right shoulder to shoot around barricades and stuff. Simply transitioning on courses made for right handed shooters will be easier than fighting to shoot left handed where it just won't work.

I appreciate all the good info and that is exactly what I was looking for. All this prompts a follow-up question about the right handed shotgun and the safety. I have never reversed a safety on a shotgun and have typically been OK shooting a right handed gun with the original safety. However, I would probably look at reversing the safety in this case. For those that have done this, what gun are you running and was it difficult to find a lefthanded safety?

"right handed guns" are almost always better ergonomically for leftys (in my opnion ofcourse). The main reason is you always have your dominant hand on the gun and can work any other controls with your "free" hand. The one left hand mod I do have is the safety reversed on my SX2, which is nice, so I've got that going for me.

I appreciate all the good info and that is exactly what I was looking for. All this prompts a follow-up question about the right handed shotgun and the safety. I have never reversed a safety on a shotgun and have typically been OK shooting a right handed gun with the original safety. However, I would probably look at reversing the safety in this case. For those that have done this, what gun are you running and was it difficult to find a lefthanded safety?

They are several different ways to reverse the safety, depends on the brand.

the Benelli M1/M2 is pretty simple, but you have to dismantle the trigger group, and then just turn it around...same with the Rem 1100's I think.

The Nova was really easy, just tap it out and reverse it.

I did a Win 1300 a couple of months ago, and it was a pain. Had to find a lefty safety, totally dismantle the trgger group, remove and reinstall the safety.

jj

Old 1100's, not sure how old, had reversible safeties like a Benelli. All the ones I've seen are not reversible; you have to find a left handed trigger plate. So we were told in Remmy Armorer's School.