Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter's Jargin

Hi all. FNG to this site. I've been shooting PPC indoor for some time now, but want to branch out to IPSC and IDPA. When I started reading the threads suggested for newcomers, I quickly found out that I don't understand some of the terminology used. Specifically "indexing". What the hell is it? I seem to think it's the motion of aquiring one target after the next, but...? Also, maybe they're could be a "glossery of terms" somewhere on this site for FNG's like me. Whatcha think?

Another Thought... If you want to get a No BS glimpse of the "True Path to Understanding" buy a copy of Brian's book - "Pratical Shooting/Beyond Fundamentals"

Bingo.

" The book " is required reading for any shooter in search of improvement.

Brian explains things in a way that makes sense.

It is not the last word, it is the beginning of a new paragraph.

Well, for me anyway.

Travis F.

• 1 year later...
"Index" is the totality of your technique, stance, grip, etc., that aligns the gun with the target.

Now that I can understand. Thanks.

Hay FNG unfortunatly your question was answered by a bunch of FNG's indexing is keeping your trigger finger along side the trigger almost in the place between the slide and the lower receiver out straight. make a pretend gun with your hand your pointer is indexed if you had a gun in your hand. Unless 6 yrs as an 0311 in the USMC lied as well as 5 yrs as a Deputy in ME and coming on 10 as a Probation officer have all been wrong.

"Index" is the totality of your technique, stance, grip, etc., that aligns the gun with the target.

Hay FNG unfortunatly your question was answered by a bunch of FNG's indexing is keeping your trigger finger along side the trigger almost in the place between the slide and the lower receiver out straight. make a pretend gun with your hand your pointer is indexed if you had a gun in your hand. Unless 6 yrs as an 0311 in the USMC lied as well as 5 yrs as a Deputy in ME and coming on 10 as a Probation officer have all been wrong.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

+1 :blink:

If someone places in the top 10% at a major match, she has something to say about shooting that I want to hear. If someone places in the top 25% at a major match, she is still worth listening to. Place in the top 50% at a major match and you are still a godlike shooter in comparison to most folks shooting ability. Attend and manage to finish a major match without DQ'ing and you still have quite a bit on the ball for sure.

These are my criterion for listening up when it comes to shooting advice ;-)

Our host does a good job of explaining index (in the sense that we use it in practical shooting).

http://brianenos.com/pages/words.html

then scroll down to:

Principles of Fundamentals & Technique

Excellent Kyle! Accurate, informative and nurturing. An incredibly mature response. Judge Dread would never have been so understanding and diplomatic. ;)

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what FNG means. I did a search on Google and it seems to mean "F*****g New Guy". Does the acronym has another interpretation? Because frankly, regardless if you consider yourself a good, bad, tactical, bullseye, IPSC, plinker, etc. shooter; I can't comprehend why someone that managed to find this forum would call Brian that. :blink::(

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what FNG means. I did a search on Google and it seems to mean "F*****g New Guy". Does the acronym has another interpretation? Because frankly, regardless if you consider yourself a good, bad, tactical, bullseye, IPSC, plinker, etc. shooter; I can't comprehend why someone that managed to find this forum would call Brian that.  :blink:  :(

Exactly.