Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glare off the Irons

Big Bore

This is a good question for the experienced irons shooters.

I came up against an issue at the R&R 3 gun that I have run across in the past but never thought of asking the question.

The first day I starting our second stage shooting uphill into the rising sun. This caused the front sight post to shine badly which in turn caused me to have a hell of a time hitting the plates at 2-300+ yards. At the end of the day I ended up shooting up hill into the setting sun and both the front sight and the peep were pretty much washed out with glare. I did get these 2 targets but it took way too many rounds and some good guessing to hit these 2 plates.

All of these targets are well within my abilities to hit and were presented quite well. Between these two stages I shot a stage with 7 long range targets that were between 200+ and about 380 yards without too much trouble, just wind.

I keep my front sight post and peep clean but is there anything I can do to at least minimize this glare? A paint or coating maybe?

Thanks, Scott

I've heard of a "sight black" spray that some iron sight shooters like to use before they shoot a stage or match.

Not sure this is what you are looking for but it might be worthwhile looking into.

Good luck.

Edited by Team Amish 1

A carbide lamp will give the flattest black, it's simply soot. Sight Black is not quite as good, it's a spray, by Birchwood Casey. Shooters Connection and Brownells carry that.

A very good carbide smoker is by Ray-Vin. It's popular with Highpower shooters.

http://www.ray-vin.com/

Both are a bit messy, and delicate too. A Sharpie will do it too, but, can be a bit glossy.

I've tried a sharpie, it's better than nothing, but usually too glossy.

I've used a candle a few times. You just have to hold the front sight right into the flame for about 2-3 seconds. A regular lighter may even work, applied before every stage. Of course first thing your sight post rubs against is going to have a black streak on it, and your front sight will not be flat black anymore.

I've heard of a "sight black" spray that some iron sight shooters like to use before they shoot a stage or match.

Not sure this is what you are looking for but it might be worthwhile looking into.

Good luck.

+1

While I was in the service we always used this stuff and it worked for us. It will wear off after a while so you have to spray it again. It is nice and flat so no glare.

Wow...you mean you guys don't know this stuff? I have always carried a cheap-o- lighter (the good ones like Bic have to clean a gas in them)for glare days. Smoke the front and use a good cover and you are good for days and days, smoke the rear and be careful and the same result. Matter of fact the cheap-o- lighter is the very first item in the Red Neck Tactical catalog. Happy shooting.

Wow...you mean you guys don't know this stuff? I have always carried a cheap-o- lighter (the good ones like Bic have to clean a gas in them)for glare days. Smoke the front and use a good cover and you are good for days and days, smoke the rear and be careful and the same result. Matter of fact the cheap-o- lighter is the very first item in the Red Neck Tactical catalog. Happy shooting.

Good tip on the cheap-o. I think mine's a Bic, and I have to hold the flame under the sight for several seconds to soot it up good. I wondered why it didn't seem like it worked as good as I remembered. I'll have to do a product comparison. haha. Also an important tool for installing fresh fiber-optics on the pistola.

-rvb