Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An "open" 22...

Aglifter

Is it better to use a marvel 22 top end on a 2011 frame, or get a model 41 and try to find a "bully barrel" for it? I'm looking for a practice rig, as well as an easy way to introduce new shooters (They always seem to want to use the coolest gun I have...)

Hello: Buy either a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45. We have both and my sons shoot both. Lots of great parts for them and they don't cost an arm and leg :cheers: The ones we have are not heavily modified but shoot great with Walmart Federal ammo and CCI mini mag. We have C-Mores on both and the Ruger will get a new mount soon. I would love to have a model 41 fully built up but I would also like a S&W 617 10 shot as well. Thanks, Eric

Is it better to use a marvel 22 top end on a 2011 frame, or get a model 41 and try to find a "bully barrel" for it? I'm looking for a practice rig, as well as an easy way to introduce new shooters (They always seem to want to use the coolest gun I have...)

If you can buy the 22 conversion. It is 1000x better than practicing with the others. The best things is you can set your 2011 lower up exactly like your actual open gun. Same trigger, safety, grip and mag button. That makes a big difference while at practice, at least for me. If you don't have the cash to the conversion setup then just buy a 22. My marvel is in the shop right now and I have been using a Browning with a Cmore. Pretty big difference in my practices now vs the 22 conversion. If I remember right I got my Marvel conversion on the STI frame within 2 or 3oz of my actual open gun so the feel was the same.

If you end up getting something other than the conversion you can still have great practices and learn alot. I just like the idea of drawing out of a holster for drills and have the gun feel the same as my actual setup.

Flyin

Depends on what you plan to use it for. If you are planning to use it as a practice gun for your centerfire gun, get a 1911 type conversion. If you are planning to use it for rimfire competition, you might consider a 22 that is built to be a 22. There are other factors also. Does the rimfire match require reloads or is it a steel challenge type match? I prefer to shoot my Buckmark if there are no reloads, but my 1911 conversion if I need to reload in the middle of a stage. 1911 conversions can be tricky at times, especially the magazines. I have one that likes to lock the slide back after 9 rounds, so I have a "special" slide stop with a notch, so the slide will never lock back.

If you are going to let others borrow your gun during the match, be prepared for accidents. Get the one you won't mind having dropped.

Good luck,

Seiichi

I have been copnsidering getting a 22 conversion for my sti edge. It would def make practive time more affordable, and it will improve my shooting with .40 major loads being more trigger time with the great 2011 frame!!!

Now the questions is, which conversion set to get!!!???

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to duplicate your open gun a conversion is the way to go. I have two Marvel conversions and have never had a problem with them. I use nothing but CCI Standard Velocity round nose bullets no JHPs.

The Model 41 is hard to beat for a super accurate good handling .22 pistol. You don't need a Bully barrel even thought they are nice and also accurate. The 41 factory barrel is just as accurate. Clark Gun Co also makes several aftermarket barrels for the 41. One of thier barrels was designed for Steel Challenge. I have one on a 41 and it is open over the breech and ejection port so there is no chance of brass bouncing back into gun and causing a jam.

Of all my .22 rimfire guns I enjoy shooting my S&W 617 10 shot with a C-More most. I have speedloaders and a North Mountain speedloader holder for my belt tha works very well.

Shhot as many combinations as you can to see what you like best. .22s are just fun.

My Tactical Solutions conversion unit fits my 1911 and my SVs. I just change out the rib and put the C-More on it or use the standard rib with my iron sights.

These are awesome top ends. If I am not mistaken they were used at the Steel Challenge. Very accurate and reliable with the right ammo. In other words, do not expect cheap ammo to shoot the same as better ammo, it just will not happen. I easily get <1 inch groups at 20 yards ( my eyes are good enough to free hand 25 yards with any real degree of accuracy) with good ammo.

They are expensive. The mags are very reliable in both SS and Wide Body.

I've been slowly building one out of a CZ Kadet:

CZ22Done.jpg

Now it sits on a dedicated '75SA lower. Burris milled into the slide.

Eventually I'm going to try and cut the dot lower, swap a DR version, and work on lightening the slide/bolt.

• 4 weeks later...

i use the sti conversion kit myself, this year i only have used it for steelchallenge and for fun, but when i receive my new open gun, than the conversion kit will be modified, to match my open gun, so it handles almost the same, but without the big bang, i also can use the same holster.

i like the 2011 conversion kit better than a mod 41, espacially the grip i like the 2011 full size grip better than the grip of a mod 41, its also a little bit cheaper when you buy a wohle gun, it runs fine on cci standart and minimags, never had any jam or failure with it, and it shoots very accurate.

this is what my gun looks like at this moment

DSC04303.jpg

here is a picture of a modified .22lr conversion kit, fitted in an cr speed holster.

Afbeelding004-30.jpg