Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CUSTOM DESERT EAGLE .44 MAGNUM

Thinking to customizing my DE .44 mag. Little history on this bad mammajamma I got it from a friend as a favor, so It would'nt matter if I threw some extra money into it right? I mean the only thing I bought for it was 2 extra magz... It is a older Model Mark VII, the finish on it seems to be dull black with some some fade from the holster. The grips are factory kinda dull and dingy with IM logo, the sights are factory fixed and I dont like em because in low light it kinda hard to line it up with my target & quickly my wife also doesnt like the sights. I was thinking of a two tone finish that would stand out, not that it dont get the attention, I already turn heads with this beast along with the loads I have made for it(THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED!) I was also thinking to add a scope, would that be too much? does anyone have any ideas or suggestions would be greatful

maybe a duo-tone finish??? lower done hard chromed, the upper a nice deep blue job, maybe NP3 finish(depends on how much you want to sink into this, some of the finishes are fairly expensive. mine is a first gen, that has the phosphate finish on it from the factory, i'm not changin it because the beast rarely see's the light of day these days, as for scopes, the gen 1's have the lil groove on the top ofthe slide that would seem perfect to mount a scope but no cutout's for recoil stops on the scope rings, besides with the recoil that gun makes, not a lot of scopes will stand up to the punishment, again, how much do you want to toss into this project, i have a lil burris on a TC-contender in a fairly stoudt caliber that is now junk because of its recoil. hope that helps

maybe a duo-tone finish??? lower done hard chromed, the upper a nice deep blue job, maybe NP3 finish(depends on how much you want to sink into this, some of the finishes are fairly expensive. mine is a first gen, that has the phosphate finish on it from the factory, i'm not changin it because the beast rarely see's the light of day these days, as for scopes, the gen 1's have the lil groove on the top ofthe slide that would seem perfect to mount a scope but no cutout's for recoil stops on the scope rings, besides with the recoil that gun makes, not a lot of scopes will stand up to the punishment, again, how much do you want to toss into this project, i have a lil burris on a TC-contender in a fairly stoudt caliber that is now junk because of its recoil. hope that helps

That doesnt sound too bad not sure of the price what do you think it would go if I did try that duo tone? how are your sights? was thinkin of trijicon but have not seen any net! come on Cali let the monster out for a little! lol...

Marki, I know you love that gun, but come on. Put some money in something you can really shoot, like a Glock, Springfield, Kimber, etc. I have seen too many of those DE's in pieces....Sure, they are fun, but so is a 460 S&W, but how many times can you shoot it and still afford groceries? Keep for fun, but get a real shooter....My .02....

Edited by GrumpyOne

back when i first got the beast, i changed outt he sights to a set of millet adjustable(white outline rear, orange front) now im pretty much a black on black kind of guy. an like i said before, i really dont know of any scopes out there that will hold up to the DE's punishment.

As for finishes, back in the day to hardchrome a .45 frame was around 150 bucks an turnaround was roughly 2 weeks to a month, if you want the more exotic coatings, NP-3 and robar comes to mind, i think they are gonna run you a lot more, if you want to add some color??? there is annodizing, and powder coating, the powder coating on my open gun has lasted for well over 10 yrs??? with no chips and or flakes

I have to say i am with grumpy on this one, buy yourself somthingthat doesnt cost a bloody fortune to shoot, or make you develop bad habits as you shootthe damned thing, yeah i know, i own one too, but it was back when i was young an dumb and 'HAD' to have the biggest thing on the block, fast forward 20ish yrs, i learned my lesson, it made me a lousy shooter(horrible flinch) was pouring money down the drain with each box i bought(this was pre-reloading) but it is a conversation piece every time i drag it out.

Marki, I know you love that gun, but come on. Put some money in something you can really shoot, like a Glock, Springfield, Kimber, etc. I have seen too many of those DE's in pieces....Sure, they are fun, but so is a 460 S&W, but how many times can you shoot it and still afford groceries? Keep for fun, but get a real shooter....My .02....

Wow Grumpy, I see your true grumpyness, thanks for shattering my dream! lol.... and a reminder to stay on track and do as planed and get my kimber! but since I nominated you as my advisor you gotta do your job! I say duo tone lower in a nickle and maybe refinished in black! and you say???? ______________________ (Fill in the blank, this is gonna be good) lol..

back when i first got the beast, i changed outt he sights to a set of millet adjustable(white outline rear, orange front) now im pretty much a black on black kind of guy. an like i said before, i really dont know of any scopes out there that will hold up to the DE's punishment.

As for finishes, back in the day to hardchrome a .45 frame was around 150 bucks an turnaround was roughly 2 weeks to a month, if you want the more exotic coatings, NP-3 and robar comes to mind, i think they are gonna run you a lot more, if you want to add some color??? there is annodizing, and powder coating, the powder coating on my open gun has lasted for well over 10 yrs??? with no chips and or flakes

I have to say i am with grumpy on this one, buy yourself somthingthat doesnt cost a bloody fortune to shoot, or make you develop bad habits as you shootthe damned thing, yeah i know, i own one too, but it was back when i was young an dumb and 'HAD' to have the biggest thing on the block, fast forward 20ish yrs, i learned my lesson, it made me a lousy shooter(horrible flinch) was pouring money down the drain with each box i bought(this was pre-reloading) but it is a conversation piece every time i drag it out.

Thanks for the Idea Panky! Okay so you guys are right! and I guess its intreaging to meand yes I am yung and excited to have this monster! and Ijust thought it would be cool to jazz it up! I still am going to change the sights on it cause I dont like em! and by the time I get out of work the gunsmith is closed! so i just thought to ask here while i was looking to get new sights! forget I asked fellas! lol....

Wow Grumpy, I see your true grumpyness, thanks for shattering my dream! lol.... and a reminder to stay on track and do as planed and get my kimber! but since I nominated you as my advisor you gotta do your job! I say duo tone lower in a nickle and maybe refinished in black! and you say???? ______________________ (Fill in the blank, this is gonna be good) lol..

Gold and chrome two tone make it A Pimp gun :roflol:

Lol... how about Tiger striped with a purple hammer?lol...

@Vlad, I guess you wasnt messin around a 10 rnd magg can be made if this guy was useing his .44 mag in a Ipsa! and well I dont think he did to bad for being a beast! Jkatz, thanks for the video, this shows bwhat eever your caliber it can be used! 2 grump I hoped you peeped the youtube vid!! it was loco! I almost felt like I was in it!

Lol... how about Tiger striped with a purple hammer?lol...

Only if you are an LSU Tiger fan......

• 4 weeks later...

Wow - how did I miss this one?

Build an Open gun out of that sucker! You can now get a factory compensator from Magnum Research. Add a C-more and you're set with a low-capacity Extra-Major PF race gun.

DEP_MB_B.jpg

Or get a 10" barrel and chop & thread it for other muzzle attachments. :goof:

This is my Bowling Pin gun. I've never had any problem taking pins off the table with this thing.

DSCN0376.jpg

Just to give you a few ideas.

Apparently you can only post two videos per posting.

And then I had a muzzle brake made up that uses the same mounts as the silencer. Here's a comparison:

Note that much of the noise is from the sonic crack of the supersonic ammo. Here is a comparison between supersonic ammo vs. subsonic ammo.

And FWIW, there are some factory 10-round .44 mags out there. They didn't make all that many of them, and the last time I saw some for sale, the seller was asking $80 each for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - how did I miss this one?

Build an Open gun out of that sucker! You can now get a factory compensator from Magnum Research. Add a C-more and you're set with a low-capacity Extra-Major PF race gun.

DEP_MB_B.jpg

Or get a 10" barrel and chop & thread it for other muzzle attachments. :goof:

This is my Bowling Pin gun. I've never had any problem taking pins off the table with this thing.

DSCN0376.jpg

Just to give you a few ideas.

NICE! My DE is a older generation! Can I do the same with mine or add a compensated barrel? Ya how could you have missed this one? Is that your DE in your avatar?

NICE! My DE is a older generation! Can I do the same with mine or add a compensated barrel? Ya how could you have missed this one? Is that your DE in your avatar?

You would have to check with Magnum Research to see if they do the factory compensator on the older guns. I know the barrels are skinnier, so the profile won't be right if they slap on a comp for a MK XIX.

You could get a 10" barrel and have it chopped & threaded like mine is. You could then thread a comp on that way. I keep thinking I need to design a better comp for mine. The brake was made to go on the silencer mount, so that was an easy one. But I'm thinking a scaled up version of what we see on race guns would work really well here. There is plenty of gas volume & pressure to work with.

That's the same silencer on a MAC10 in the avatar.

Marki, ask him how much it cost to do all that stuff..... :devil:

Actually, the gun was the most expensive part. The can was around $350 + transfer tax (I think... I've had that can for over 10 years now). You don't need to get something as expensive as an EoTech for a sight. I robbed this one from an AR15, since it was handy. I found a tool & die maker who threaded the barrel for next to nothing. I let him experiment on my barrel so he could decide if he wanted to get a DE and do one for himself. I'm not sure what he would charge to do another.

You could also do a Dura-Coat finish in the design of your choice.

I started shooting IPSC with a DE 44mag, was only auto I owned at the time. Made my own lefted handed holster and mag pouches. It was a head turner(loud), poppers went down fast! :cheers:

a comp for a DE????? who'd a thunk it???? tho with my loads(lots of 296 or 110) it has a 6 foot fireball, i dont know if i really wantto vent all that up and to the sides, i had a shorty AR that had oblong sideports on it and with some 'flashy' surplus ammo i damned near burnt all the hair off my support arm!!!!!

juuuust for giggles im gonna look into the comp thing tho....

You would have to check with Magnum Research to see if they do the factory compensator on the older guns. I know the barrels are skinnier, so the profile won't be right if they slap on a comp for a MK XIX.

You could get a 10" barrel and have it chopped & threaded like mine is. You could then thread a comp on that way. I keep thinking I need to design a better comp for mine. The brake was made to go on the silencer mount, so that was an easy one. But I'm thinking a scaled up version of what we see on race guns would work really well here. There is plenty of gas volume & pressure to work with.

That's the same silencer on a MAC10 in the avatar.

Marki, ask him how much it cost to do all that stuff..... :devil:

Actually, the gun was the most expensive part. The can was around $350 + transfer tax (I think... I've had that can for over 10 years now). You don't need to get something as expensive as an EoTech for a sight. I robbed this one from an AR15, since it was handy. I found a tool & die maker who threaded the barrel for next to nothing. I let him experiment on my barrel so he could decide if he wanted to get a DE and do one for himself. I'm not sure what he would charge to do another.

WOW! :bow:

a comp for a DE????? who'd a thunk it???? tho with my loads(lots of 296 or 110) it has a 6 foot fireball, i dont know if i really wantto vent all that up and to the sides, i had a shorty AR that had oblong sideports on it and with some 'flashy' surplus ammo i damned near burnt all the hair off my support arm!!!!!

juuuust for giggles im gonna look into the comp thing tho....

tah that is crazy! i load my 240gr H110 @ 23- 23.5gr pertty flashy and its also a head turner i have not tried power pitol thinkin imma try that right now! (as im typing this, looking at my press) yup its time to put my LAB jacket on.. :surprise: