Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SDB...New to Reloading

Dano111

Help!!

Just got a SDB and love it!! easy to use...easy to understand...looks like i will enjoy it..BUT..

I am having the hardest time getting consistent powder measurements and can't figure out why??

This is what i am doing so if i'm doing something wrong please tell me..if you have a better way please tell me..

1) Disconnect failsafe rod from return bracket so that i can manually cycle powder and not cycle the shellplate.

2) Manually push a case up into the powder funnel and cycle powder

3) measure powder

4) make adjustment to powder flow

5) cycle powder several times

6) repeat #2 and 3 above

7) If i do 2 and 3 several times i will get fluctuations, for example earlier today I was trying to set the powder to 4.2 grs and kept getting 4.0, 4.2, 4.4, 4.5, 4.2, 4.1, 4.0...and on and on.

Is this normal? should it have this much deviation? Could it be my scale?

suggestions??

Dano

We could use more information here.

A. What kind of scale are you using? Digital or Balance?

B. What kind of powder?

C. What caliber? 9mm? 45? etc.

D. Is your press mounted on a bench or just a small table? You get better, and more consistant powder throws if it's mounted to a good sturdy bench, and the bench is bolted to the wall.

E. Also you have an easier time if you let the machine cycle the powder & shell plate together. You may ruin some brass with too much flair of the case mouth, during your initial setup routine, but then after that you wont. So don't be afraid to throw away some brass during setup.

We could use more information here.

A. What kind of scale are you using? Digital or Balance?

B. What kind of powder?

C. What caliber? 9mm? 45? etc.

D. Is your press mounted on a bench or just a small table? You get better, and more consistant powder throws if it's mounted to a good sturdy bench, and the bench is bolted to the wall.

E. Also you have an easier time if you let the machine cycle the powder & shell plate together. You may ruin some brass with too much flair of the case mouth, during your initial setup routine, but then after that you wont. So don't be afraid to throw away some brass during setup.

I am using a digital scale

Using Unique

9mm

Press is mounted on a very sturdy work bench and is bolted to the wall...hardly moves at all if any.

So i'm ok with tossing brass...but how many times would you cycle to feel good about the powder measurements??

Hey I really appreciate your feedback!

Dan

You need to operate the powder measure in the exact same manner as when reloading. Vibrations, velocity of stroke, twangs of brass going into and out of the bell all impact how much powder settles into the slider cavity, or falls into the case. When you measure a teaspoon full of flower, you take a scoop, shake it level, dump it into your pot, then TAP IT on the rim to get all the flower. Same thing with the powder measure. Gentle careful operation is going to be less consistent.

Here's what I do:

deprime, resize, and prime a piece of brass.

Run that brass through the powder drop just like normal, using the shell plate and a normal stroke of the handle.

measure the weight.

If you make any adjustments, don't measure the very next powder drop!! Always measure the 2nd (or later) drop of powder after adjusting the screw.

I ran a variation experiment a few years ago, and I'll see if I can find the data. However, I wouldn't expect more than 0.1gr of variation.

I guess "normal" practice is to throw ten charges on the scale and average it out. AND I do that two or three times just to make double sure things are working right. FWIW you should be able to get it down to only a .1 fluctuation either way.

+1 to letting the machine cycle the way it does when loading ammo. I keep one clean case set aside just for checking charges. I'll throw ten and then weigh/average them. I also do that at least three times (sometimes four or five) to make sure I really have a solid average.

Keep in mind that there's a little variation in each charge and the scale is only so accurate, so those two combined can give you slightly different results.

Oh, make certain that you've got the small powder bar in the measure! R,

I guess "normal" practice is to throw ten charges on the scale and average it out. AND I do that two or three times just to make double sure things are working right. FWIW you should be able to get it down to only a .1 fluctuation either way.

Sarge..

Thanks! I like this as it would definitely cut down on the variances..

I will try this.

Dano

Hey all..

thanks again for your feedback!

I had not heard about throwing 10 charges and then averaging as common practice...that makes a lot of sense and will smooth out the variances.

I will try this and move forward.

I'm sure you all will be hearing from me again...

Dano

I do a combination. When doing my initial setting, I measure one at a time - letting the SDB cycle for the test. Normally I pull the 2 brass pins and just install in stage 2 and take out for measure in stage 3. When I get about where I want, I throw 10 times and average that out.

I noticed a similar problem while reloading 9mm for the first time, it turns out I didn't lower the drop into the press enough. At first I thought it was inconsistent "knock", but once I managed to get the case up as far as I can my measurements were dead on 3 out of 4 drops everytime. I was using Bullseye fwiw.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on Unique metering poorly. We gave up on trying to get it consistent. HP38, PowerPistol, or any other spherical powder seems to meter much more consistently and might be an easier place to start.

Been loading for 20 yrs & this guys absolutely right.

+1 on Unique metering poorly. We gave up on trying to get it consistent. HP38, PowerPistol, or any other spherical powder seems to meter much more consistently and might be an easier place to start.

I'm not going to start what powder is great or better, but as a newbie and also just started re loading I like power pistol powder so far I just gotten setup to load for my .40 cal and when I got to the measurement goal it was on it (7.7),! It fluctuated +1/-1 tenth! I'm still going to try others like HP38. I just wanted to share this with you all so I hope this might help!

I'm not going to start what powder is great or better, but as a newbie and also just started re loading I like power pistol powder so far I just gotten setup to load for my .40 cal and when I got to the measurement goal it was on it (7.7),! It fluctuated +1/-1 tenth! I'm still going to try others like HP38. I just wanted to share this with you all so I hope this might help!

Marki, be careful with those charges in 40. 7.7 is getting up there in charge weight. Alliant shows a max of 9 with a 155 GDHP, a max of 7.8 with a 165 GDHP, and a max of 7.2 with a 180 GDHP. Any set back and/or variation in OAL could lead to some serious over pressure rounds. Jeff Maass's site shows a load of 9.3 for a 135 JHP, but these are all max loads. If you are just plinking, back off to about 5.6 for a 180, or about 6.4 for a 165. It'll be much more enjoyable to shoot.

@ Grumpyone, I figured that much cause of the recoil, I felt pressure and I know I a lined my sights but was still off I thought it was cause I was nervous, so I had to re group and my second set of 9rnds was grouping but not how I was expecting I'm going to lower the powder a few tenth's or try at least 6.8 or 6.7, what is your opinion on that?

It all depends on the bullet weight. I load 5.6 of PP with a 180, very nice shooting, but I've never chronied it. Loading that hot, without shooting USPSA, you are just burnng powder and wear and tear on the gun. Load them down a bit.

It all depends on the bullet weight. I load 5.6 of PP with a 180, very nice shooting, but I've never chronied it. Loading that hot, without shooting USPSA, you are just burnng powder and wear and tear on the gun. Load them down a bit.

The bullet is Hornady Xtp/JP 155gr ! I original wanted to load 180gr bulletbut they where all sold out at basspro & cabelas and I just wanted to load for my 40 asap! Kids we are so in a rush to grow! Lol.. What is a safe Load for that weight?

The only powder I use for 9mm and .45 ACP is Unique and I can get +-.1 gr. all the time. This is how I did it. I took the powder bar out of the hopper and took it apart. I polished the interior areas of the bar and the front surface of the insert very well with JB polishing compound on my Dremel tool. I polished it until it was shiny and very slick feeling. I reassembled the whole thing and the powder flow improved greatly. I have noticed that some interior edges of some powder bars aren't very smooth and will cause the flakes of Unique to apparently drag as they flow through and cause irratic measurements. I have also noticed that my powder measurements are more consistent if the powder hopper is at least 1/2 full and 3/4's to completely full is better. I don't know exactly what effect that has on it but it is just my observation. Grounding your press against static electricity also helps.

The only powder I use for 9mm and .45 ACP is Unique and I can get +-.1 gr. all the time. This is how I did it. I took the powder bar out of the hopper and took it apart. I polished the interior areas of the bar and the front surface of the insert very well with JB polishing compound on my Dremel tool. I polished it until it was shiny and very slick feeling. I reassembled the whole thing and the powder flow improved greatly. I have noticed that some interior edges of some powder bars aren't very smooth and will cause the flakes of Unique to apparently drag as they flow through and cause irratic measurements. I have also noticed that my powder measurements are more consistent if the powder hopper is at least 1/2 full and 3/4's to completely full is better. I don't know exactly what effect that has on it but it is just my observation. Grounding your press against static electricity also helps.

You polished the entire bar all around?? Even the part that moves when you adjust the measurement when you turn the screw? Lol.. Great idea!

The bullet is Hornady Xtp/JP 155gr ! I original wanted to load 180gr bulletbut they where all sold out at basspro & cabelas and I just wanted to load for my 40 asap! Kids we are so in a rush to grow! Lol.. What is a safe Load for that weight?

Look it up yourself! I'm not gonna do all of your legwork for you! :rolleyes:

[quote name='GrumpyOne' date='19 July 2010 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1279556769' Look it up yourself! I'm not gonna do all of your legwork for you! :rolleyes:

See, now that's the kind of answer I expect from Grumpy...gotta live up to the name.

For the OP, go buy a loading guide, or better yet, a couple. Then get a copy of the Loadbooks.com One Caliber One Book...it's got data from almost all of the big bullet or powder manufacturers. R,

What's this "We" crap, paleface? :goof:

There is an old saying, "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime". Marki, I have just been feeding you fish, it's time you did the fishing!

Seriously, from experience, most of us learn better by doing and researching things ourselves. When we are spoon fed whatever we need, when that goes away, we are left in a dark void, neither knowing what we need to do, nor how to find out what we need to know.

Marki, G-man and I have both said you need to get some reloading manuals, and while 99.99% of the loads suggested her eon the forum are "safe", some might not be right for your gun. I strongly suggest you get a reloading manual, and at least verify the validity of the loads you are getting from forum members.

Now, I will help all I can anyone who asks, but please, learn to fish! :D

PS. Safe load for the 155 or the 180? B)

What's this "We" crap, paleface? :goof:

There is an old saying, "Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime". Marki, I have just been feeding you fish, it's time you did the fishing!

Seriously, from experience, most of us learn better by doing and researching things ourselves. When we are spoon fed whatever we need, when that goes away, we are left in a dark void, neither knowing what we need to do, nor how to find out what we need to know.

Marki, G-man and I have both said you need to get some reloading manuals, and while 99.99% of the loads suggested her eon the forum are "safe", some might not be right for your gun. I strongly suggest you get a reloading manual, and at least verify the validity of the loads you are getting from forum members.

Now, I will help all I can anyone who asks, but please, learn to fish! :D

PS. Safe load for the 155 or the 180? B)

@ Grump & GMBart, both of you are highly respected men in this sport! (What? They call Golf a sport, lol...) And to be honest the fear of being a newbie has me afraid of damaging my weapons! + 1, I will make hit the store tomorrow and invest in more manuals! Thanks for the fish guys but you are both right time I catch my own fish! Imm a big boy time to find my was in this reloading sport! I won't ask you guys know more questions! Safe load for 155gr Grump? Hehehehe.... No but serious I just don't wonna make costly mistakes! Again thanks fellas!