Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ball detent for slide racker

mildot1

I have tried three searches and haven't found the right one.

I am running a Quinn II mount and slide racker, can't keep it tight. What size and where can I find a ball detent to keep it in place???

Thanks

Mildot

PS: When you drill the hole for the 8-32 you have to get it placed correctly between the [inside edge of the] rail and the edge of the firing pin tunnel....you don't want to drill into either one of them. I don't have my drawings/measurments in front of me but as I recall you only had about 5 thou of clearance on either side. You could use a smaller diameter spring plunger but I like the larger ball and the larger force the 8-32 offered.

I drill all the way through the slide. This allows you to adust the height of the spring plunger from the underside of the slide with a small screwdriver.

In order to get the hole centered I made a center punch on the lathe that helps me locate the drill bit. I turn the slide on its side on a flat surface and I lay the special punch on the surface next to it. All I have to do is make sure the punch is centered in the dovetail and then tap the punch with a hammer. The radius of the punch is equal to the distance that the hole needs to be located from the outside of the slide. ..Hopefully this makes sense.

Darren

[edited to add...you want to put the plunger on the left side of the slide because the other side has the extractor tunnel...in case you didn't notice :) ]

Edited by ExtremeShot

I wonder if the Quinn slideracker is tall enough so the ball nose spring plunger could be put in the slide racker itself with a dimple in the slide? Thoughts.

Adios,

Pat

I would have prefer this method myself but the plungers are too long to go in the rackers. Go to that McMaster page and you'll see the height dimensions on them.

D

Here are the dimensions. ***NOTE*** You need to verify these dimensions on YOUR slide before drilling!

Regarding my center punch, the reason why I made a special punch is because a 15/32 was slightly larger than I wanted, but more importantly, the 15/32 would not fit down into the dovetail without hitting the top of the slide. That's why my center punch has the tip diameter reduced.

SPRINGPLUNGER.jpg

This is the technique I use for marking the center. I lay the left side of the slide on a flat surface then lay the punch on its side. I visually place the punch in the center of the dovetail (front to back) and then firmly tap the punch once to mark the drill location.

SPRINGPLUNGER2.jpg

Hope this helps...got to go mow the yard.

Darren

Shows how ignorant I was. I was sure that the detent went in the racker.

I may have to rethink what I want to do, the measurements are useless to me since the slide is milled. But thanks anyway and I'm sure someone will benefit from them.

Mildot

In my case, the ball is on the racker, and the detent is on slide... A more elegant (and safe) solution... There's a thread floating around the forum about the kit from Brownells you need to do the work, etc... Doesn't require a plunger, or anywhere near the size of a hole... It's not as involved from a mill standpoint, which may or may not make it as cool, depending on who you are cheers.gif

Shows how ignorant I was. I was sure that the detent went in the racker.

I may have to rethink what I want to do, the measurements are useless to me since the slide is milled. But thanks anyway and I'm sure someone will benefit from them.

Mildot

What do you mean it won't work 'cause your slide is milled? My slide has all kinds of metal milled off.

Regarding XRe's comment...he's correct in that Brownells sells a kit. Basically you drill a blind hole, drop in a spring and ball, then use a special staking tool to stake the metal around the ball. It's not as elegant but does the job. I just prefered to put it in the slide and also wanted the ability to adjust it. Matt Cheely post a link to the kit in one of my threads a while back. I"ll see if I can find the kit in Brownells.

Darren

Here are the dimensions. ***NOTE*** You need to verify these dimensions on YOUR slide before drilling!

Regarding my center punch, the reason why I made a special punch is because a 15/32 was slightly larger than I wanted, but more importantly, the 15/32 would not fit down into the dovetail without hitting the top of the slide. That's why my center punch has the tip diameter reduced.

SPRINGPLUNGER.jpg

This is the technique I use for marking the center. I lay the left side of the slide on a flat surface then lay the punch on its side. I visually place the punch in the center of the dovetail (front to back) and then firmly tap the punch once to mark the drill location.

SPRINGPLUNGER2.jpg

Hope this helps...got to go mow the yard.

Darren

Darren,

Thanks for the drawing. :cheers:

Pat

You're welcome.

Regarding the kit from Brownells....here's the link:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9849/Product/CRANE_BALL_DRILLING_FIXTURE_for_S_W

It appears you want the "Ball & Spring Kit - Contains 20 locking balls, 20 springs, and staking punch."

I doubt you need the drilling fixture.

If you use the Brownells kit...I'd really be interested in seeing some pictures of the process....and the finish after staking.

Darren

In my case, the ball is on the racker, and the detent is on slide... A more elegant (and safe) solution...

...curious why you think it's safer to have the ball and spring in the racker versus the slide? And I would argue that there's nothing elegant about peening (staking) metal versus drilling and taping. :)

D

I have 2 open guns with Quinn rackers one has the ball in the slide and the other has it in the racker they both work fine. I was concerned that the alum. on the racker may not stay staked but so far so good. The 713-035-000 Crane Ball & Spring Kit from Brownells is what was used on my guns.

Tim

• 7 months later...

I was reading these old posts on sliderackers.

Isnt a big advantage, that if you use the brownellskit that you dont have drill a hole thru the slide?

I guess it is, if drilling a hole in the slide is an issue with you. I've installed several ball spring plungers and I've also installed several rackers with the ball and spring in the racker. I still like the ball spring plunger the best.

The best thing about the ball spring plunger is that it is adjustable.

When you put the spring and ball in the racker, if you don't have enough meat (top to bottom), you have to make sure you don't drill too deep and go all the way through the racker, and you have to cut the spring way down. Additionally, the damn staking tool that comes with it doesn't work that well so you end up having to try to hold that little ball in there with a flat punch while trying to stake the sides of the hole with another punch and a hammer. Good luck finding the ball and spring if they go flying out.

Darren