Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The gun stigma

Precision40

So I'm sitting at work today looking at a few gun sites, minding my own business and this co-worker walks up behind me, I could sense he was watching over my shoulder for a minute or two. First words out of his mouth were "So you getting ready to go postal? Buying a bunch of guns are you?" For some reason that just rubbed me the wrong damn way and I politely told him to go look over somebody elses shoulder.

Sad that people out there still categorize us...luckily everyone in my office is a gun-nut, so the damage was nil.

Yeah. I mentioned that I shoot competitively. "Oh, so you shoot rifle?" No, pistol. "Oh ... " I detected an element of concern in his voice. Since that time he's been careful not to ruffle me. He must believe I'm on the edge and it would be really risky to upset me. Jeez.

I hate when someone you work with discovers you own, shoot or carry a gun and with a nervous laugh says, "Well! Remind me not to piss YOU off! Hahahaha..."

That's about as insulting as can be. Just because they have no control over their emotions or urges they want to equate that weakness to me. I guess they'd be shocked to learn that I get routinely pissed off at other drivers and still make it home without firing a single shot.

Next time just turn around, with no expression and a quite voice and say.

"Are you talkin' to me?...huh...are you talkin' to me"?

:goof:

seriously...don't do that. They will come a get you.

Next time just turn around, with no expression and a quite voice and say.

"Are you talkin' to me?...huh...are you talkin' to me"?

:goof:

seriously...don't do that. They will come a get you.

:roflol::roflol::roflol: . Aw man that was grat timing. How about I'm on my way to a party with my wife, and she says that the rules are, if they bring it up, then that's okay, but try not bringing up the "shooting thing". I could care less because if I bring it up and noone knows what I'm talking about, I get no conversation out of it anyway, so that's a waste.

I talk shooting with my shooting buddies.

I usually tell them, "owning and shooting firearms doesn't automatically make one lose control of their emotions, intelligence, or sanity. In fact, it does the opposite. You don't shoot, do you."

That's paramount to using facts and logic to do battle against hyterical emotion. An unfair tactic, and sadly, rarely effective.

I usually tell them, "owning and shooting firearms doesn't automatically make one lose control of their emotions, intelligence, or sanity. In fact, it does the opposite. You don't shoot, do you."

That's paramount to using facts and logic to do battle against hyterical emotion. An unfair tactic, and sadly, rarely effective.

True, but they either don't get it or they get insulted. Both makes them go away, and I get the opportunity to determine if they're just ignorant or just stupid. ;)

I wish I had a quarter for every time I've heard... So...You're one of those right wing gun nuts.

My come back is... They say ignorance is bliss... so you must be pretty happy! :sight:

"...Yeah. I mentioned that I shoot competitively. "Oh, so you shoot rifle?" No, pistol. "Oh ... " I detected an element of concern in his voice...."

It always amazes me that people assume that a rifle is less dangerous (or less offensive, if you will) than a handgun, for cryin' out loud. I have to wonder how they arrived at that cloudy, erroneous assumption. :rolleyes:

Assuming the person can take a joke, I like to quote the Whole 9 Yards with a straight face. "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive." Granted, it's been known to go over poorly on occasion.

I hate when someone you work with discovers you own, shoot or carry a gun and with a nervous laugh says, "Well! Remind me not to piss YOU off! Hahahaha..."

It's for that very reason that I tend to not tell folks what I do until I know them a little bit. I don't care if they know that I shoot guns... I get real tired of this reaction, though... They think they're joking or that they're somehow acknowledging my skills or whatever... What gets me worse is when someone at work (who knows I shoot... like, even my boss) introduces me to someone else, and then informs them that they shouldn't piss me off and why... rolleyes.gif As if a threat of violence will somehow make it easier for other folks to get along with me in a positive fashion? rolleyes.gif

The only thing that seems to salve that issue is that as time goes on, more and more people respond positively to the knowledge, so...

That's about as insulting as can be. Just because they have no control over their emotions or urges they want to equate that weakness to me. I guess they'd be shocked to learn that I get routinely pissed off at other drivers and still make it home without firing a single shot.

You mean your gun doesn't just leap out of the holster and start hosing down other drivers? :surprise:

You mean your gun doesn't just leap out of the holster and start hosing down other drivers? :surprise:

No but I've shot a few stages that I'd swear were shot by the gun because there's no way *I* would have planned to shoot them the way I did!