Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AArrgh

hmm i did not realize that area 1 in idaho falls will be a 680 mile/ 10.5 hour drive from where i live... i mean i am scheduled to shoot friday and saturday and i cannot cancel my registration at this point to get a refund, i mean i have vacation scheduled so i have all thursday to get there but FFS 680miles/10.5 hours is a LOONNNG drive. You should see my car, this junky Oldsmobile achieva V6 4 door sedan which generally nets me about 25mpg hwy. and then i am travelling by myself. i am doing all the work. Im heavily debating if it is going to be worth it for me to drive to this event.

i know you dont necessarily ....care about my agenda... but im just throwing it out there you know. <_<

Edited by Field

do you really think it would be worth it to drive that far just to shoot at a match? i mean im being realistic here its not like im going to win anything...and then its going to cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars to simply go there ands stay there to shoot. :ph34r:

I'm past the age where I will drive that far in one day, but I've done it several times when younger. However, I strongly suggest that you start looking around for anyone else going that way. Two people driving will definitely make it an easier trip.

Well, do you enjoy shooting major matches? I drove with some guys to Atlanta for Area 6. That was 8 hours one way.

All I won was a reputation as a picky eater and the nickname "Mr All American".

Well worth the trip in my opinion!

Edited by Sarge

10.5 hours is nothing.

The drive to Montana was about 14.5 hours, Vegas was about 12 hours, Tulsa was about 11 and Illinois is about 12.

My car gets 21-23 mpg.

The trick is to leave early. If you can be on your way by 4am then you will get there by 3-4pm, which will give you time to unwind before the match starts the next day.

Edited by BritinUSA

I am going 900 miles to get to Area 1 myself. Should be an interesting 15 hour drive. I'm leaving friday at 3am :surprise:

brooks? you shoot on the west coast? what kind of car you got?

one deterrent for me kind of is my automobile. i should post a picture of it. i mean it really aint THAT bad but its windy and noisy, and i dont have air conditioning or a CD player or anything like that. I WAS going to use an XM radio but...no. im just worried about getting bored, falling asleep or getting all stiff muscled and stuff from sitting and driving for so long.

you guys know about driving over any mountains coming to idaho falls from the west? is there some nice scenic driving to be had? i should probably bring my camera.

Yes you should still go. Maybe you'll meet some guys to carpool with next time.

Stop often if you have to, allow extra time for stops. Stop at a rest area and take a nap if you have to. Just be Safe, shoot well.

kind of annoying i would have probably been in the top 15 for production division but 3 big things took a big poop on that:

1. stage 12 ''oregon trail'' a larger field course i FTE'd 2 targets and miked one on one of the swingers. so 5 mikes and 2 FTEs put me in almost dead last. this was probably the stupidest thing i could have done other than... uhhh.. well idk i guess getting DQd would have been worse(?) i mean i guess it could have been worse. lol

it would be T11 and T12 on this:

http://www.idahouspsa.com/area1/stages/12-oregon.pdf

2. hitting a no-shoot and not making up for it on some simple short comstock stage with a mandatory reload in it

http://www.idahouspsa.com/area1/stages/5-godfathers.pdf

3. then on this one

http://www.idahouspsa.com/area1/stages/9-castashadow.pdf

i was the first shooter and on the first string instead of only firing 3 shots on the far target i thought i was supposed to fire 6. so i had 3 extra shots and 3 extra hit penalties added. the sad thing was i did the stage pretty quick and decent and only had 1 bad shot on the far target with strong/weakhand shooting.

idk but i was glad that the thing got split up into 2 days of shooting cause overall i did better the 2nd day cause i had some rest and had some exercise before i went to shoot.

the first day that needless brain flatulence really put a dent in being one of the cool kids. i dont necessarily think that i was more nervous than a normal match or not i generally felt pretty good and have been getting more relaxed the more matches i go to

it wouldnt bug me quite as much its just that this match is only once a year and you spend all that time and money to go there and shoot and its just dissappointing to not really excel how you would have maybe wanted to. im sure youve thought the same thing at some point.