Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal major revolver load

Lentz

I have a custom 646 i shoot in uspsa. My current load for the gun to make major is 180 gr bullet with 4.2 gr of clays. I was talking with Doug C and he was telling me that with that amount of clays in the shell is way to much and might end up harming the gun.

Does any one have a good major load worked up for a 40 cal with a 180 gr bullet with a clean burning powder. I have a 6" barrel on the gun. The only powder i reload with is clays so if its not gona harm the gun i hate to chage it.

My recipe for Major in a stock barrelled 646 (3 7/8) is 4.5g of Yellow Rex topped by Frontier 200 copperplated bullet.

Switching to 215 g bullet soon and will trim the powder charge a little.

I have a custom 646 i shoot in uspsa. My current load for the gun to make major is 180 gr bullet with 4.2 gr of clays. I was talking with Doug C and he was telling me that with that amount of clays in the shell is way to much and might end up harming the gun.

Does any one have a good major load worked up for a 40 cal with a 180 gr bullet with a clean burning powder. I have a 6" barrel on the gun. The only powder i reload with is clays so if its not gona harm the gun i hate to chage it.

You don't say what your OAL is Josh, loading long is what the auto guys do when they use Clays.

And with that said, I've been shooting 3.8/9 under 180 lead heads and 4.5 under Berrys heads

for awhile with no apparent signs of over pressure. I load to 1.185 to 1.200 OAL

Have you noticed any increased end shake ?? How's the flame cut in the top strap ??

I gleemed my data from the auto threads, didn't ever worry about set-back or over-throated barrels

(obvious reasons as to why ;) )

Course I'm using a stainless steel N frame and your using (I assume) a Titanium L frame.

If you do look for another powder you might want to try N320, very clean and gave me great results

with plated bullets (not so great with lead)

Doug's a smart guy and know's a lot, might want to re-visit this one with regards to revo's

(and I'd LOVE to get some of those 200 grn bullets of Daniele's :D )

I have been shooting 180gr BBI bullets over 4.6gr of W231 with good results. Burns clean for me and I have about 12lbs to shoot up, so I cant change anything now. It makes 169 PF out of my 6.5" 610. Good luck

I started in 2005 with a 204 RN copper plated NorthWest bullet (made in Italy); I switched to 200 RN CP Frontier (made in RSA); now I'm using a 215 RN "Gold" plated Target bullet (made in Italy), nice look, not so nice price!post-480-127715117634_thumb.jpg

I started in 2005 with a 204 RN copper plated NorthWest bullet (made in Italy); I switched to 200 RN CP Frontier (made in RSA); now I'm using a 215 RN "Gold" plated Target bullet (made in Italy), nice look, not so nice price!post-480-127715117634_thumb.jpg

That's a perfect bullet for the 40 caliber revo's over here, just what I was looking for when I started this game.

If it's expensive for you over there I can only imagine how much it would be here after import fee's and shipping. :surprise:

That's a perfect bullet for the 40 caliber revo's over here, just what I was looking for when I started this game.

If it's expensive for you over there I can only imagine how much it would be here after import fee's and shipping. :surprise:

USA distributors

Black Hills Shooters Supplies

PO Box 4220

Rapid City

SD 577094220

Tel: +1-605-3484477

Fax: +1-605-3485037

e-Mail: mundon@bhshooters.com & bhss@bhshooters.com

T&T Reloading Easton, PA 610-759-1449

Sportsworld Tulsa, OK 918-742-4027 ask for Chris

USA distributors

Black Hills Shooters Supplies

PO Box 4220

Rapid City

SD 577094220

Tel: +1-605-3484477

Fax: +1-605-3485037

e-Mail: mundon@bhshooters.com & bhss@bhshooters.com

T&T Reloading Easton, PA 610-759-1449

Sportsworld Tulsa, OK 918-742-4027 ask for Chris

Tried those 3 co's years ago G, TNT looks to be the only one that does carry some of them but

none of the RN versions.

I looked into the 200 RN CheyCast, still a lead bullet though, I find even moly's smoke too

much for me.

The Poly-Molys are okay, Bayou Bullets have been GREAT in the 160grn 38 caliber.

Donnie's got a 180grn 40 cal TC that's nice too, but a true 9mm/45 ogive would be the best.

Guess I got spoiled shooting plated bullets back when I had money <_<

(and they were a hell of a lot cheaper)

Someone mentioned a GATT 180 grn RN 40, I've looked but can't find any info,

anyone have some contact info or web site ??

Hopalongs Major load for 646 6 inch barrel !!!!

180 grn Precision Delta FMJRN

4.9 grn V.V. N320

Federal Small Primers

mixed brass

OAL 1.150

minimal crimp (just enough to keep the bullets from backing out during recoil).

Have fun, always start at a lower powder weight and work up.

Josh good luck at A-7, wish I was going again.

HOP

Sam thanks ALOT for the info. Good luck at all the major matches you are signed up for, hope to make it back to memphis this year

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions and info