Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Holster Rules

Just got to thinking. Is there a rule that requires only one holster be used for Open (or any division)? I'm just noticing the Open guys switch hands on the barricade. Might be quicker, more accurate and safer to actually run dual holsters, one left one right, and just swap the gun between strings. Probably not legal, I was just curious.

I only see this rule in the books that may address your idea.

3.7 Pistol and Holster Position-The pistol and holster must be carried in the same position throughout the entire

match

• 2 weeks later...

For interests sake, what if you were a RH shooter, with dual holsters (L&R as above) & at Practical 10m/yds, you have the gun in holster on LHS (weak hand side), draw & shoot with weak hand. Instead of drawing with strong hand, transfer to weak hand & shooting?

Cheers, Ando.

Nice try guys, only one holster allowed!!!!!!

What is the Rule # and page?

I think as long as I did not move the gun during the match I could put three holsters on my belt. But it would have to use the same holster the entire match.

I think as long as I did not move the gun during the match I could put three holsters on my belt. But it would have to use the same holster the entire match.

Rule # 3.7 The pistol and holster must be carried in the same position throughout the entire match.

The OP was asking about "dual holsters, one left one right" to prevent having to change hands on Practical & on Barricade for Open shooters who do that. The rule above pretty much eliminates that possibility, unless you can think of some way to "game" that one.:sight:

Alan~^~

5.1.9 A competitor must never use or wear more than one handgun during a course of fire.

Covers 2 guns, no rule that I can find for two holsters unless the gun is considered "allied equipment" in

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match.

well my interpretation anyway

Edited by pas44

5.1.9 A competitor must never use or wear more than one handgun during a course of fire.

Covers 2 guns, no rule that I can find for two holsters unless the gun is considered "allied equipment" in

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match.

well my interpretation anyway

The OP was asking about NRA Action Pistol rules, not IPSC or USPSA.

Different games, different rules.:cheers:

Technically there is no rule that I can see against multiple holsters... You just can't use the extras, they would just be there for looks smile.gif

my point exactly,

No gaming just The point. We are not supposed to load from our pockets for mags until the ones on the belt are all used. The rules do not say that we can not have pockets on our pants.

I may have to barrow a left hand holster ,just to drive a few guys craZZy

Technically there is no rule that I can see against multiple holsters... You just can't use the extras, they would just be there for looks smile.gif

my point exactly,

No gaming just The point. We are not supposed to load from our pockets for mags until the ones on the belt are all used. The rules do not say that we can not have pockets on our pants.

I may have to barrow a left hand holster ,just to drive a few guys craZZy

AGAIN!!!!!!!!! Different game, different rules!! NRA Action Pistol rules make no mention of where your reloads come from, with the exception of the Speedload Challenge. The other events don't even mention where they are located before use!

Show up at my range with 2 holsters on, and you're outta there!

Sheeeesh!:rolleyes:

Rule # 3.7 The pistol and holster must be carried in the same position throughout the entire match.

The OP was asking about "dual holsters, one left one right" to prevent having to change hands on Practical & on Barricade for Open shooters who do that. The rule above pretty much eliminates that possibility, unless you can think of some way to "game" that one.:sight:

Alan~^~

it is singular not "holster(s)"

to me this says 1.

Sheeeesh!:rolleyes:

You never kicked me out for showing up wearing a SpeedSec and a DeSantis Nemesis :P

Please don't frisk me next time

Sheeeesh!rolleyes.gif

You never kicked me out for showing up wearing a SpeedSec and a DeSantis Nemesis tongue.gif

Please don't frisk me next time

Power corrupts, I am booking a air line ticket , just so I can get kicked off "His Range"

I have been thrown out of some low places.

Your safe no one will loan me a left hand holster