Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen4 Jager guide rod.

JBP55

I received my Gen4 Jager guide rod Today with a 15# ISMI spring for my G4 G17. It worked great firing 300 rounds of mixed ammunition including 100gr. hirtenberger, 115gr. Champion, 115gr. WWB, 115gr. and 147gr. American Eagle. I emptied 5 magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger and the new guide rod was flawless.

Thanks, Bill for a great new product for the Gen4 Glocks.

Edited by JBP55

Same here, I got mine yesterday (fast too). Put about 350 130gr BBI reloads -no hiccups. I love that the Jager guide rod is much easier to install than the stock gen.4. The gun returns where i'm used to with the 13-lbs spring.

I received my Gen4 Jager guide rod Today with a 15# ISMI spring for my G4 G17. It worked great firing 300 rounds of mixed ammunition including 100gr. hirtenberger, 115gr. Champion, 115gr. WWB, 115gr. and 147gr. American Eagle. I emptied 5 magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger and the new guide rod was flawless.

Thanks, Bill for a great new product for the Gen4 Glocks.

Another 400 flawless rounds down range with the new Jager guide rod Today.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took the Gen. 4 17 out with the Jager rod today (13# spring). 300 rounds even split WWB and Rem. green box. Not a malfunction in the bunch :cheers: !!

Thank You Jager!! I have been getting a variety of failures, 3-8 per match all year with a variety of ammo/bullet weights with mounting frustration. Hopefully todays practice bodes well for Sundays match.

I love the way the Gen 4 frame feels in the hand but the unglocklike problems had me ready to junk it.

....now if KKM will get Jager some Gen 4 barrels so I can get an open kit..... :goof:

Addict

So what exactly is the difference between 15# and 13#?

13# allows shooting ofr 97-124 much easier than 15#?

I'm curious & the website doesn't really explain in detail much. My stock spring works golden with 124gr, have yet to shoot 147gr. All the 115gr that I've shot, it extracts the casing but does not lock the slide back.

Over all, what's the major benefit of using this set up?

Over all, what's the major benefit of using this set up?

The 13# spring is for 9mm, the 15# spring is for .40 S&W.

If you have a gun that runs, there is not too much benefit... It lets you play with spring weight and easily replace the recoil spring without buying a new unit.

If you are stuck with a 17 that doesnt want to work with a recoil spring designed for the 22 like me, the guiderod lets you use the gun without malfunctions! (hope I didnt just jinx myself there... :unsure: ) LOL

Addict

I'm fairly new to Glocks and have been shooting a 35 both with a stock 40 barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel. I just got a Gen 4 - 17 and it has worked perfectly with everything I have put in it. The only thing I have done to the 17 is change the connector to a 3.5... I have even run two different types of lead thru it. It is extremly accurate and comes back on target as good as any pistol I have ever owned. The date on the test cases in the box is March of this year, so I'm curious if I got the same recoil spring as some of you did. I really don't see any point in changing mine as long as it continues to work as well as it has. I just wondered what problems others have had.

I just wondered what problems others have had.

What I have run into are a variety of failures to extract and double feeds. Ejection is erratic, but not as bad as some. Have had 3-8 malfunctions in our club matches (except the Buckeye Challenge that was fine), with a variety of 115 grain ball and 124gr American Eagle.

If yours is running well, no reason to change anything out!

Check out the General Glocking Subforum on GlockTalk for others experiences.

Addict

I just wondered what problems others have had.

What I have run into are a variety of failures to extract and double feeds. Ejection is erratic, but not as bad as some. Have had 3-8 malfunctions in our club matches...

I gave up on my Gen4 G17 and took a $150 hit to trade for a RTF2 3rdGen... long story short, IMO the guns have inherent problems with their dual-recoil springs and if you plan on running one I'd get an aftermarket rod/spring asap.

I went about 4000rds with 7 stoppages before I gave up on it, but the occasional 180-degree-stovepipe-with-double-feed every now and again continued... messed me up and took me from near the top to the bottom at a couple matches too, yesterday it stovepiped/double-fed after I had fired a couple rounds and knocked down 2 steel poppers setting off 2 disappearing movers... by the time I cleared it the targets were gone and I was down like -50, suddenly the match wasn't even worth skipping sleeping-in and making the drive...

I dunno, but IMO the Gen4 G17's don't deserve to be called G17's, I've had 3 different 3rdGen G17's that saw thousands of trouble-free rounds, the Gen4's are a different animal and while it cost $150 to trade for the "old" one I'm actually happy about it as I now am comforted in the fact that my gun will likely almost always go bang, just like a Glock 17 is supposed to

Edited by ck1

I am pretty sure the one I got is not an early production G4 because of the date on the cases. Maybe something different in it. I first thought the spring was a little heavy , but it really doesn't feel stiffer than my 35 with the stock spring. I have only put 400 rounds thru the 17 but some of them were very light (3.5 Tite group behind 115 cast RN). If it was going to hiccup that load should have done it.... I do understand getting rid of a dud though, I have done it more than once. I really bought the G 4 on a whim, as it was just in to the shop and a blue lable. Hard to beat that price !I like the new grip with the L backstrap, but first sign of problems and it will also be gone.

Are these guide rods legal replacements for SSP or Production?

I am mainly curious about IDPA SSP. I guess if it is not legal I could just shoot it in IDPA ESP where it wouldn't matter.

Just a thought.

Later, Lumpy.

yesterday it stovepiped/double-fed after I had fired a couple rounds and knocked down 2 steel poppers setting off 2 disappearing movers... by the time I cleared it the targets were gone and I was down like -50, suddenly the match wasn't even worth skipping sleeping-in and making the drive...

How did you drop 50 points on two disappearing targets? Should be -20 unless they weren't disappearing.

I'm not sure what the issues are. I've shot a few different Gen 4 17's, including the one I own. I have yet to have a stovepipe or stoppage of any kind. The dual recoil spring isn't the problem, the 26/27 has been using it for awhile. I've never had a jam with either of those guns either. If I had to wager, Glock put too heavy of springs on that dual guide rod and will probably have the situation corrected pretty darn quick.

yesterday it stovepiped/double-fed after I had fired a couple rounds and knocked down 2 steel poppers setting off 2 disappearing movers... by the time I cleared it the targets were gone and I was down like -50, suddenly the match wasn't even worth skipping sleeping-in and making the drive...

How did you drop 50 points on two disappearing targets? Should be -20 unless they weren't disappearing.

I'm not sure what the issues are. I've shot a few different Gen 4 17's, including the one I own. I have yet to have a stovepipe or stoppage of any kind. The dual recoil spring isn't the problem, the 26/27 has been using it for awhile. I've never had a jam with either of those guns either. If I had to wager, Glock put too heavy of springs on that dual guide rod and will probably have the situation corrected pretty darn quick.

I was speaking figuratively, you're correct, put me down -20.

Must disagree on the spring though, they're not the same as the ones that have been in the subcompacts and are far too stiff making the Gen4's prone to malfunction.

If yours runs good I just hope it stays that way and if you like the Gen4 over the 3rdGen guns I'd pick up the Jager rod so you can use a "normal" spring.

Plus the 2 Alphas on each you missed out on, so it was closer to 50 than you thought.

I was speaking figuratively, you're correct, put me down -20.

Sorry, that was the -20. There are no penalties on a disappearing target. You only lose out on the potential points.

The spring weight is what I was referring to on the differences. The fact that it is a dual captive shouldn't make it any less reliable. However, if they put too heavy of springs in that would do it, whether it's a dual or single setup.