Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Shotgun Sights

dockbox

What is the best sight combination for a 3 gun shotgun that will allow for optimum use with birdshot and still enable 100 yard slug shots?

If you have a vent rib barrel, the Williams firesights set is a popular and effective choice.

What is the best sight combination for a 3 gun shotgun that will allow for optimum use with birdshot and still enable 100 yard slug shots?

+1 to what ken hebert said. You have a M1 Super 90 with VR 21" barrel. That comes with a red fiberoptic front bead with the dullest fiberoptic ever, usually. Get a Sparq model replacement from HiViz in your favorite color(about 11) choke up and you are ready to rock. That's the gun. Don't mess with the 10/22-I had one on mine-I took it off-kept it in case I sell and somebody wants it.Like ken said the fiberoptic bead is the key

Got it. Thats what I'll do.

Now I'm going to hi jack my own thread and ask which choke?

Light Modified?

Its really gonna depend on the type of matches you attend. If its club matches with up close action, then probably an IC will do you pretty good. If you're attending bigger matches or if your club has some harder/tighter/longer shots, then you might consider LM or mod. I started with IC, but have lately changed over to LM for everything. Note: go pattern it at various distances, know your shot spread and density. also know how it runs slugs at various distances. keep it written down in your bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a 10-22 sight on my M1S90 vent rib 21inch field with lite modified choke (excellent recommendation by Kurt Miller). It is on the flat 1.5" in front of the receiver .110" deep. I was a little worried about how tough the soldered rib was so stayed a little high. Installed a generic low mount fiber optic front, but the Federal low recoil slugs shot about 8inches high at 50m. Switched to a TruGlo "turkey" sight with next to tallest "green" insert (it is triangular in cross section) and put slugs point of aim at 50m. Only liability is that it is pretty exposed.... I carry a replacement.

regards Les

Dockbox, I have the exact same set up as you and just using the front fiber sight works great for me with slugs. Spend some time practicing with your slugs and I think you will find you like the set up with out the rear sight.

• 4 weeks later...

There seem to be a plethora of sights available. In general, it seems that the prevailing preference with a ribbed barrel is for a FO front sight by itself. Just browsing thru the 5 web pages at Midway I've found:

Champion Easy Hit

HiViz MagniComp and HiViz CompSight a couple dozen other variations that screw, glue, and clip on

HiViz Bead Replacement and variations

Lyman Uni-Dot like the HiViz MagniComp (both of these look interesting)

Lyman Luma Dot - sort of a ghost ring (looks too busy)

Truglo pipe and Truglo "Fat Boy" and variations

Williams Fire Sight (front)

Then there are several three dot front and rear sights

Chris Patty has an interesting dual color sight from Limbsaver

The question is, are these pretty much all the same or does one have any particular advantage over the other?

Edited by Graham Smith

Alot of us down here run with the HiViz Shotgun TriComp Front Sight.

PM2003_small.jpg

Really easy to see at low light and the triangle seems to flow better for "aiming" slugs.

Edited by DocMedic

Alot of us down here run with the HiViz Shotgun TriComp Front Sight.

Thanks. Is there anything to the idea behind the Uni-Dot and MagniComps? They have a long empty tube with the FO at the end of it. Theory is that if you don't have the gun mounted right, you won't see the sight.

I ended up getting a tricomp and it works great! I was able to easily make a 65 yard slug shot using the tip of the triangle. This set up has me now looking at an Accupoint tr24 with the triangle reticle for my rifle.

I ended up getting a tricomp and it works great!

Two questions:

What color light pipe are you using?

You put the triangle under the target, yes?

at a 100 yards I just center mass the triangle with the center mass of the target.

I'm a little late to the conversation, but...

I like the Williams Fire Sights. It took a while to get used to having the rear sight with fiber optics, but I have them down now (knock on wood). I can ignore the rear sight altogether for clays and most steel if using IC or LM choke. If shooting slugs (IM choke), or making tight shots around no-shoots (IM or Full choke), I can use the rear sights...

I had great success with the dual color Limbsaver sight, but could not hit with slugs consistently past 45-50. Part of this was due to the fact that my shotty hates full power slugs... But, it eats the reduced recoil slugs all day.

My personal preference is green my eyes pick it up well. As soon as my accupoint tr24g comes in, I will be using green on all three guns. I know the point of the triangle POI slug zero and I use the whole triangle with bird shot and put it center mass of the target. So far its worked well.

Benelli M1S90, 21 inch barrel, vent rib! I totally agree but I started shooting skeet with my dad when I was 21 and did so for about 5 years. I also use full power slugs.

I do not like ghost sights.

I just shot a sporting clays match for the first time with my Benelli with a DMW extended tube! Not too bad for the first time. The rabbits gave me some problems as did the reduced size birds.

Again, since this is how I started out, it made sense for me to stay with it.