Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Les Baer

RiggerJJ

My Les Baer is doing slightly light strikes and has me slightly concerned. Replaced the mainspring with a 19#, still not to my satisfaction. My firing pin dimentions are 2.290 long and the pin end is .065. I know the diameter at the business end (even thou it is a .45) is the same as most 40/9 firing pins, but not sure if the length is...

Does anyone know the dimentions of the Dawson Hyper Drive Extended pin? (or have any other suggestions?)

TIA!

jj

I know Glenn does something to the rear of the firing pin and FP block to resolve this problem while using a 16 or 17 lb spring when he does trigger jobs on 2011's. I've seen the work first hand as he did both of Todd's open guns. Talk to him about the problem, and see what he can do for you.

RiggerJJ,

One of my Les Baers had problems with breechface erosion. At a recent match, I met with a guy that starting having the same problem with his Les Baer 9mm. I don't know if Les is still building his Premier II .45 ACP's with 9mm firing pins, but the fix was to remachine the slide for a 45 firing pin. I use CCI's primarily now and I haven't had any problems with a 19# mainspring. I was having problems with light strikes using a 17# mainspring.

Is the firing pin hole in the breech face ok (i.e., is it round)? I'm wondering if you're starting to have some damage to your breechface. Are you using federal primers? How many rounds do you have through the gun? Did you buy the gun new? Is this a recent problem? Is the channel clean? How are you lubricating your firing pin and spring? Has the chamber of your barrel been reamed? I know some gunsmiths will ream out the chamber and make it a little deeper because they feel the chamber of a Les Baer is too tight.

I looked up the dimension in the Kuhnhausen manual, and I believe you have a 9mm firing pin. The length is fine.

With a 19# mainspirng, you should not have any trouble igniting primers.

Just looking for a longer firing pin. if anyone has the dimentions of the Dawson, that would be great.

This is an older gun, I am the 2nd owner. Breachface is fine. firing pin hole is fine. everything looks fine to me, other than the primers on the brass I fire, and the strikes look light. Makes no difference the brand of primer. Before I replaced the worn shortened 17# mainspring with a new 19#, had a couple of no-fires. the strikes now look light, but haven't had any no-fires...yet. I just was looking to install a extended firing pin. for some reason the Les Baer firing pin in this 45 cal gun is the same diameter at the pin end as a 9/40 cal pin. (yes, the pin hole is .001 larger than the pin, even thou it is a 45cal breech)

jj