Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Snowboard Or Ski?

I just found this out a couple of days ago:

Check out Tahoe's longest Superpipe. Boreal's 600 foot super halfpipe -

now open! 17 foot walls and fully accessible day and night.

The reason for the poll in this forum is that it seems that more than half of the shooters I speak with snowboard as well as shoot (usually not doing both at the same time). Is this a Nothern California/Reno USPSA Shooters thing only, or is it more widespread?

Trailer: the next poll is "Do you race motorcycles, cars, or both?" because I have met more people who used to run those races in shooting than in any other circle I have been in.

I used to ski hard core in college. Even did the triple black at Jackson Hole.

However, since torching my knee in college (playing basketball...go figure), I've taken up snowboarding.

Much more fun and a hell of a lot more exciting. Between the terrain parks, free boarding and helicopter rides (blew three large one week about 6 years ago in British Columbia...did 100,000 vertical feet though), snowboarding is it for me.

Death to two planker wankers! :D

Rich

B)

I ski. I can get along with boarders that point the damn thing downhill and carve. Some of 'em are down right pretty when they get going. As for the pathetic slobs who scrape down the mountain sideways and screw up all the runs - especially the bump runs - no mercy.

What is it with snowboarders and sitting on their asses in the middle of the slope all damned day? Why not just go to 7-11 and shove a slurpee up your ass and save yourself $42 + gas?

:P

Hi, I'm 34 now and have been skiing since I was 4 or so.

Three years ago I hurt my back real bad (is "hernia" an english word ?) and have been recovering slowly since. I was going to try snowboarding, but if I fall onto my butt (which is very likely when learning to snowboard ;)) I will for sure have my back injury back. I cannot risk that (first time I have been completely "out of business" for half a year). Two days from now I will -after a three year pause- go on a winter holiday again and hopefully I will be able to ski again.

Yeah "learning to snowboard, day-one" typically consists almost entirely of falling down and slamming yourself in the snow in new and creative ways. Anybody contemplating it should get a helmet, wrist-guards and try for a soft-snow day. After the first day, the fun-factor picks up quickly.

I started snowboarding last year. What a blast. I skateboarded for many years in junior high and high school and was nuts on one. Now the snowboarding is very similiar and I've picked that up pretty quickly. It is so much fun. I'm just starting to get into jumps and crap. Hardest part is not doing a face dive. HEHE

• 2 weeks later...

I have been skiing for the past 29 years and shooting USPSA off and on since 1997 (although I've been "on" for the past year). I have tried snowboarding and even purchased one a few years back, but could not get over the claustrophobic feeling of having both feet strapped onto one single board and having ones shoulders parallel to the fall line (a very strange feeling to a die hard skier). It's all cool though!