Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Dogging" Stats

Vince Pinto

I'm not too worried about that...

What ticks me off is because of one person's laziness, I missed a HUGE goal I had set for myself. I don't care about hitting M next month or the month after that...I put pressure on myself to where I HAD to hit is this month...I did my part, but this no-load geek couldn't spend a a few hours (if that) to do a job he VOLUNTEERED for.

The only excuse is if he was hospitalized (and unconcscious) or dead.

...Rant Over...

I hear ya Jake, I was just bustin' on ya. I understand where your coming from and your frustration.

I get people as of late, coming to me because I am VP of a club, wondering why in the world we have not sent in the classifiers for the last several months. I then get to go into this long story about the last FIPT were we are being sued because someone did not get to do the cooking. Yep, you heard right. This someone use to be on the board and me being pretty new to the board, used my inexperience to get his way. Two judges saw it our way but the one that counted it went his way. So now we are told by our lawyer not to post and transactions on our books. We filed for Bankruptcy, the end of Central Florida Practical Shooters Ass. But we will come back under Space Coast Practical Shooters, soon I hope.

With all that said things do happen. And even though it is a volunteer job, our Club Pres. has spent many an hour trying to solve club issues like the one above.

wew...sorry

Flex...I know, I kinda went off on my own little rant. I guess my whole point is that even though it's a volunteer position, or being that it's a volunteer position, we should learn a little patience and understanding because, well, it's volunteer. I already know what the response to that will be and I understand, to a point. :blink:

I guess my whole point is that even though it's a volunteer position, or being that it's a volunteer position, we should learn a little patience and understanding because, well, it's volunteer.

PaulW - I couldn't agree with you more.

Jake - Lighten up dude! It's not a job unless you get paid. ;) The stats person is typically a volunteer who's usually doing something nobody else wants to do. But, if you want to volunteer, have at it. You're opinion of stats will forever change if you only do stats for a year. Sometime's there are more important things that stats.

Also, how did the stats person screw up your goal anyway? If you know you have an M class worthy classifier waiting, then relax. You already hit the goal. :)

hehe, getting a lil impatient there eh jake? yea yea yea you're master already... if they screw you over again - atleast you'll be kickin more butt in A class right? but don't mind what i just said.. if it wasn't for late scores... you'd be getting your M card next week =/ sorry bro.

Your 1st major isn't for a few more months, by then you'll be smokin all them Masters. B)

Jake,

No problem man, vent all you want. Plus you made some really, really good points. And only you know if this is a monthly problem or just this one time when it mattered most to you.

It should be done in a timely manner.

Jake,

Ditto the others on your good points. It is frustrating.

On the other hand, do the stats sometime for a match. You will learn new respect for the guy who normally does them. You will learn that the stat shack is your haven. You will want to scream at the first person who knocks on the door five minutes after he has his gear off to ask you if you have the finals done. :huh: Come to think about it, you'll want to scream at the next 25 as well. :(

We get the results to the shooters at the match. It sure is fun watching someone's face when they find out they won their class for the first time. :)

Stats is a thankless, rewarding and frustrating position at the match. I learned all that at a classifier match.

Did I mention I darned near kissed our own Professor McCoy's feet when I saw him again? There were only about 13 shooters at the match. It was enough for a first time at stats.

Liota

The Hate forum was created and is intended as a place to vent or rant, period. And while general or support-related comments are not prohibited, rebuttals specifically are. Meaning: If you don't agree with someone's rant - please keep it to yourself.

Thanks!

be

Oh, one last comment - as posted in the "Everyone please read, rules" -

This forum was not created or intended as a place to discuss or debate political issues of any kind - either IPSC, USPSA, or governmental. (Including Hate rants.)

- from BE.

I do the stats for two clubs (sometimes more), and I almost always have the results done and in the e-mail within an hour of when I get home. The most recent exception was our 3-gun match back in March of '03 and it took me until Monday evening.

And yet, I hate me! :rolleyes:[note how I cleverly include the hate so as to avoid angering Mr. Flexmoney]

Just be sure you are hating the right person.

Match results not coming out...yeah, probably the stats dude.

But classifiers going in to Sedro could be someone else. To send in classifiers there needs to be payment made. Good chance the stats person isn't a signatory (or at least not a sole signatory) on the club check book. Some clubs use a bookeeper to handle the finances. So, the stats dude drops off an envelope with the stats stuff in it to the bookeeper so they can cut a check and mail it off. Well, the bookeeper probably isn't a shooter so doesn't understand how we call get grumpy so they wait a day or three before they process the check and whammo they miss the deadline.

And if your club operates on a total cash basis without books...well, keep that up and soon you will have a whole other hate rant. I was in a club 20+ years ago that operated all loose and easy with the finances "because we are all friends" and one of our "friends" stuck us for close to $5K over the course of a few years.