Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to feed with Glock 34

lugnut

Lately I've had several feeding problems with my MG 147gr loads (3.6gr VV N320 or 3.8gr W231, COL 1.125", mixed gauged brass)- both loads do this. It appears that the nose of the bullet gets stuck on the feed ramp of the factory barrel. A good smack on the bottom of the magazine seems to get the cartridge to feed into the chamber. The mags have fairly new springs and I just now replaced the Wolff 14lb recoil spring to help eliminate that as a possible cause.

I've been loading the MG bullets shorter than my 147gr Berrys as the shape of the bullet is quite different... maybe I shouldn't have. My Berrys are 1.140-1.150" and feed fine. Should I go longer with the MGs?? Anything else I should look at? Sometime the feed ramp gets dirty maybe I need to clean it more for these bullets?

This G34 has been just awesome for years except for these rounds recently. I think I have used the COL above in the past for the MGs but I tend to use the Berry much more.

Lately I've had several feeding problems with my MG 147gr loads (3.6gr VV N320 or 3.8gr W231, COL 1.125", mixed gauged brass)- both loads do this. It appears that the nose of the bullet gets stuck on the feed ramp of the factory barrel. A good smack on the bottom of the magazine seems to get the cartridge to feed into the chamber. The mags have fairly new springs and I just now replaced the Wolff 14lb recoil spring to help eliminate that as a possible cause.

I've been loading the MG bullets shorter than my 147gr Berrys as the shape of the bullet is quite different... maybe I shouldn't have. My Berrys are 1.140-1.150" and feed fine. Should I go longer with the MGs?? Anything else I should look at? Sometime the feed ramp gets dirty maybe I need to clean it more for these bullets?

This G34 has been just awesome for years except for these rounds recently. I think I have used the COL above in the past for the MGs but I tend to use the Berry much more.

Sounds like an ammo not a gun problem. Go back to your otherr ammo or you will need to have gunsmith rebevel your feed ramp.

Should I go longer with the MGs??

lug, that's what I would do. Come to think of it I don't load 9mm shorter than 1.150 major or minor. I prefer 1.155

You might look close at the PF you load is generating. Cycling at a 140 PF can be dramatically different (even better) than say 132.

In any case your not far from fixing it unless you 'fix' to much. :)

lug, that's what I would do. Come to think of it I don't load 9mm shorter than 1.150 major or minor. I prefer 1.155

You might look close at the PF you load is generating. Cycling at a 140 PF can be dramatically different (even better) than say 132.

I agree- would you go to that length even with the MG's bullet profile on the 147s? Also a great idea on the PF- I was getting 136PF+ last time I chrono'd.

I agree- would you go to that length even with the MG's bullet profile on the 147s? Also a great idea on the PF- I was getting 136PF+ last time I chrono'd.

Yes. But I would load a dozen dummy rounds ( :) no primer no powder) and hand cycle them first. That profile should be plenty friendly. Work with OAL alone first. Then check your load velocity.

Yes. But I would load a dozen dummy rounds ( :) no primer no powder) and hand cycle them first. That profile should be plenty friendly. Work with OAL alone first. Then check your load velocity.

Thanks Jman- next batch of the MG will have long COL for sure. In the mean time I have a thousand or so to use up at practice so I'll see if the new recoil spring helps.

I loaded a half dozen dummy rounds and they seem to work just fine. I am however wondering if the problem isn't magazine related. The bullet of the rounds would have to be very low in the magazine to get caught up in the bottom edge of the ramp and not feed (where they were getting stuck). The flat noses of the MGs probably aren't as forgiving as the round nosed Berrys. I'm sure making the rounds longer and replacing the recoil spring will help but I'm wondering if ultimately it's the mags. I'll disassemble and clean the mags good and check the springs and next time it happens, if it does, that mag will get clearly marked.

It appears that the nose of the bullet gets stuck on the feed ramp of the factory barrel.

I had exactly the same problem when I switched to 147 MG's - at 1.125" OAL, my bullets were

stuck on the feed ramp.

I've tried 1.135" and the problem is now gone:)

Jack