Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

229 for Production?

JackImpact

The 229 is my current handgun and Ive been recommended doing Production with it.

What should be on my shopping list to prepare to do a first match? Also it has 2 dot night sights. What can I replace these with to see better during the day? Its bright in Florida!

shoot your stock sights for a few matches, and while you are at those matches have a look at the sights other people are using. You will have a better idea of what you want after that.

I think what is being said is shoot the gun as is, and after a few matches you'll know what you want to change, if anything. I have a Warren Tactical rear sight and Dawson Precision Fiber Optic front on my 226. I also put a lighter 17# hammer spring in it to get a better DA trigger pull. A little grip tape helps as well. Other than that, its stock.

I'm with Sfinney on that. Go with the Dawson Warrens. The Dawson glows great in decent light and paired with the Warren, it's the best combination I've ever used. I shot that combination on my 220 and 229 for IDPA a few years in a row and I loved it.

The 17 lb spring will really help you with the Initial DA pull. If you decide to stick with the Sig and want action work, look up Grayguns.com They do awesome stuff with Sigs.

Aside from the sights I would recommend stippling the grips. The factory Sig grips with about 30-45min worth of a soldering iron is about as close the gun being stuck in your hand as possible. The grips can be had cheap if you mess up. As far as i know stippling GRIPS on a changeable grip gun is perfectly legal. I have mine done.

shoot the gun as is or with some paint on the sights, Trust me real quickly you'll figure out the gun you have isnt great for USPSA Production no matter what you do to it. Doesnt it only have a 3.5" barrel ? Any money spent will be down the drain. Dont get me wrong shoot what you have, go to matches look and learn, I just wouldnt spend any money at all until you learned the game, gear and what makes a good gun. For production your gonna end up with a 5" gun that can be tuned for a fairly short trigger reset.