Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinning Grip Saftey W/shock Buff

Fireant

Fireant- If you look at the profile of the grip safety, it has a "nose" that is thinner than the rest of the body. The nose is what stops the trigger bow from moving. Look at the profile where the nose is. Now work back towards where your hand contacts the grip portion. When the smaller part of the nose gets thicker, cut at that part of the safety. Send a PM if this doesn't help.

Vincent/Tightloop-If you pin a grip safety, is there an extra step to stripping the frame for cleaning? Do you have to remove the pin in order to get the safety apart from the mainspring housing? I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Kirk

Just drift the pin out of the msh and remove it and the pin/s at the same time, then complete the disassembly in the normal way. You might have to work at getting the pins back in the holes in the grip safety when reassembling it, but that just takes a bit of patience.

Duane- Thanks I appreciate the correct terminology, I made up the nose thing. It sounded better than dohickie or thingamabob that sticks out. My hand deactivates the grip safety all of the time and my grip safety is still in place. If it didn't, I'd cut that pesky little grip safety tongue right off with a dremel.

Thanks again.

PS- Can someone please tell me how to put photo's in the posts. Pictures would be way better than my lame ass explanations. :P

*QUOTE*

Pls elaborate will pinning the grip increase my performance?

It will make sure the gun will go off when you pull the trigger. I detest the grip safety and grind off the arm. The I make the thumb safety very positive to snap on and off. My thumb safety WILL not wipe off accidently.

This forum mainly addresses competition shooting, where if you can't disengage the grip safety it costs you time.

In the real world it could cost your life.

Vincent/Tightloop-If you pin a grip safety, is there an extra step to stripping the frame for cleaning? Do you have to remove the pin in order to get the safety apart from the mainspring housing? I'm just curious.

Thanks,

Kirk

No, not if it is done correctly.

The hole for the pin should be drilled in the msh and a roll pin inserted so that the pin holds the gs depressed when slid up in place.

I file the arm off and pin mine because I can't stand the gs to move. I like the feel much better with a non-memory groove gs that is held firmly in place.

I used to use the shok buff method until I had one get loose in the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it's not true for everyone but one of our local shooters found he had more of a tendency to *not* properly depress the grip safety on guns with an arched mainspring housing. It seemed to be holding back the web of his hand from getting the necessary contact, even with the popular "memory- or speed-bump" style GSs. He's never had an issue with his pistols that have a flat mainspring housing installed. I use an arched and have had a couple of instances of the safety not being pressed far enough to allow firing, so I now prefer the "desensitizing" method described earlier.

Also a good tip that came from a nice fellow in AZ named Geoff -- "Another VERY worthwhile modification is a small "V" cut in the grip safety actuation bar. If you're comfortable detail stripping the gun, this is the best way to see the clearance on this one. If not, remove the mainspring housing so you can work the GS in and out easily. Push the GS in place while noting where the actuation bar hits on the starboard (inside) of the frame. You'll see that there is a projection coming down on the inside of the frame that hits the top of the bar. The idea is to cut a "V" so that the safety can clear this projection. This allows you to remove and install the grip safety WITHOUT removing the spring housing every time."

Mark R.