Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 - Sluggish recoil, what to do?

elenius

I got a springfield 1911 in 9mm and developed some loads for it around 132PF using MG 124gr bullets. I feel like it cycles very slowly with any load I've tried. Would it help to use even lighter bullets? Would that give it more energy to cycle? Or should I just bump up the load until I'm happy with how it feels? Or just learn to live with it? :) I have a feeling it's probably not going to be very reliable if it cycles like that... It sure shoots soft though.

+1 on the firing-pin stop. Nice & round and also polish it. Step up from say 400 to 600 and then 800 grit Emory cloth. Same goes for the corner of your hammer where the slide rides across it.

Each time I clean my Open gun the FP stop and the hammer corner get a quick few swipes with the 800 emory and then i run the slide with no barrel or spring across the frame to see how smooth it runs before putting all the Slide Glide etc on the gun.

Some people have a rough spot involving the disconnector or its slot in the slide. Or their recoil spring doesn't travel in & out of the spring plug smoothly.

Hmm, the recoil spring is whatever it came with. It's definitely lighter than the 16# that I have in my 45. I think I have a 19# main spring. I don't think lighter springs will help though. That will make it close slower... If anything, I was thinking heavier springs might help :o

The FPS and hammer are rounded.

Maybe I should break the gun in a bit more before I worry too much about it :)

I've got a Para P18-9 and it cycles very slowly with ~132PF as well. 132PF and a full-length, full-weight steel 1911 slide is going to make for a slow combination. Try a lighter recoil spring. I've gone as low as 9# in mine, i believe it's currently running a 10#, but even with that the brass lands at my feet. Your best option is going to be bumping up the load until it's more to your liking.

Hmm, the recoil spring is whatever it came with. It's definitely lighter than the 16# that I have in my 45. I think I have a 19# main spring. I don't think lighter springs will help though. That will make it close slower... If anything, I was thinking heavier springs might help :o

The FPS and hammer are rounded.

Maybe I should break the gun in a bit more before I worry too much about it :)

Try a 9# recoil spring...you might be surprised.

I run the same exact load you are using with my Spartan 9 and it is far from sluggish. BUT mine is set up as others have suggested. Run a 9 or 10# recoil spring, 17# hammer spring and if need be a little work on the firing pin stop.

My load of 4.0 grains of Titegroup with a 124 grain Montan Gold CMJ seated at 1.120 chronos at 132 PF at 80 degrees.

Give it a try.

I run the same exact load you are using with my Spartan 9 and it is far from sluggish. BUT mine is set up as others have suggested. Run a 9 or 10# recoil spring, 17# hammer spring and if need be a little work on the firing pin stop.

My load of 4.0 grains of Titegroup with a 124 grain Montan Gold CMJ seated at 1.120 chronos at 132 PF at 80 degrees.

Give it a try.

That is pretty much what I run out of my Springer as well only a touch longer on the load at 1.150 OAL and I still get 135PF.

My SA 1911 Target in 9mm functions perfectly with the factory spring set. Thew only modification I made was to replace the sear, disconnector and hammer in order to get a lighter trigger pull.

And what is the original mainspring weight on a 9mm springfield loaded?

I am not 100% sure if the weight is the same in the 9mm model but, at least in my .40S&W, the OEM mainspring was 19lb and the recoil spring was 17lb.

The factory recoil spring on a Springer 5" 9 mm 1911 is 9 pounds.

The factory recoil spring on a Springer 5" .45 ACP 1911 is 16 pounds.

Right from the "horses" mouth.

I run a 10# in mine with WWB ammo.

Edited by MichiganShootist

That sounds about right. Maybe the MS is a little heavy, like say a 22?

That sounds about right. Maybe the MS is a little heavy, like say a 22?

Not sure what Springer uses, but the factory MS in a 9mm STI is a 15 lb according to them.

I'd probably take your advice and install a 17 either way.

Run 17lb mainspring, 9lb recoil spring no shock buff and polish the hammer face and firing pin stop. It's pretty quick with 124gn frontier bullet and 4.5 Solo 1000, 130 PF.

That's in an STI Trojan.

Get a selection of springs from 9lb to 12lb, put them on a timer and check your splits and hits on a couple of targets. See which holds and runs the best for you.

My gun likes the 9lb with heavier bullets and a 10lb with 115's.

Several guys here like 12lb springs, it varies from load to load, shooter to shooter.