Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poppel Hole angle?

CocoBolo

Hmmm....four Open guns in my safe, no popple holes. I guess that's all I need to do for a smooth run to GM. That's it Dave, I'm taking you out at the HDC...once I get some popple holes added :lol:

Edited by G-ManBart

I thought ports in the barrel only made the gun louder and didn't do anything to make it more shootable... rolleyes.gifroflol.gifcheers.gif

XRE you know I read your poppel hole report on your new Brazos and you gave some pretty convincing arguments and facts. I sold a virtually new Trubor (6 years old) gun to Wayne Ho and he started a make over on it and butchered the slide down to fighting weight but the gun was still a bit violent, and he and I shot each others loads and did all that. We talked about your write up and decided that it wasn't good like it was so why not just put a hole in it. He put one hole 1/2" back from the muzzle port and wow now he has a gun he can shoot now, go figure.

I have a virtually old remodeled TruBore but with a bull barrel and a Bidell TI Comp and it is just a bit violent so it needs taming and its getting a single hole first 1/2" back from the first port on comp, just need to angle it a bit so that it does not fog up the C-more setting on a sidemore mount way forward.

I will of course have to admit that I was wrong about the holes when this works on my gun. If you kill pick and cook the crow I will eat it.

Did I tell you about the SVI I sold to Albert (pres of RiverCity) he put a Brazos comp on it and two poppel holes and he can shoot just about any load and its soft and sweet. Now that really sucks I sold two guns kept two and the two I sold are better than the ones I kept.

Took the old Competitor with its new poppel hole out to Thursday night practice. The gun was pretty good before but a bit snappy but it is now great it is both soft and flat and follow up shots are better and faster. That XRE is a pretty smart guy, glad he wrote about his expierence with the poppel holes.

Do I need another one? If it isn't broke don't fix it, I think its great like it is.cheers.gif

Hmmm....four Open guns in my safe, no popple holes. I guess that's all I need to do for a smooth run to GM.

:lol: I was just givin' Ron crap about his previous posts on the subject... cheers.gif

That's it Dave, I'm taking you out at the HDC...once I get some popple holes added :lol:

Bring it devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

That XRE is a pretty smart guy, glad he wrote about his expierence with the poppel holes.

Hold it... let me grab my wife, so I can prove to her that at least someone thinks I know what I'm talking about... :lol:

Every gun is different, and everyone likes something different... but I will still vehemently balk at this notion that some people cling to that holes make no difference other than requiring more powder to make major and more hearing protection to be worn... and if they happen to just make it too loud, well... shoot Limited... :lol: Cause there isn't such a beast as a quiet Open gun... devil.gif

Hello: I think the number of holes you put in the top of barrel depends on the diameter of the holes. Most 38's I've seen have 3 holes minimum. What diameter hole did you put in? Did you ream the hole or just drill it? Thanks, Eric

Hmmm....four Open guns in my safe, no popple holes. I guess that's all I need to do for a smooth run to GM.

:lol: I was just givin' Ron crap about his previous posts on the subject... cheers.gif

That's it Dave, I'm taking you out at the HDC...once I get some popple holes added :lol:

Well I'm waiting on word back about emergency popple hole installation, but if not I've got a backup plan. It involves rubber bands, crazy glue a strand of 10 gauge copper wire and a car remote door opener :unsure:

Took the old Competitor with its new poppel hole out to Thursday night practice. The gun was pretty good before but a bit snappy but it is now great it is both soft and flat and follow up shots are better and faster. That XRE is a pretty smart guy, glad he wrote about his expierence with the poppel holes.

Do I need another one? If it isn't broke don't fix it, I think its great like it is.cheers.gif

Did you chronograph the load after the holes to make sure you're not feeling a softer, flatter gun because of a loss in velocity?

Did you chronograph the load after the holes to make sure you're not feeling a softer, flatter gun because of a loss in velocity?

The holes in my barrel were worth 20 fps (chrono'ed immediately before the holes were put in, and immediately after). Unless you go cutting manhole sized ports or start putting them real close to the chamber, they simply don't lose as much velocity as people think....

Hello: I think the number of holes you put in the top of barrel depends on the diameter of the holes. Most 38's I've seen have 3 holes minimum. What diameter hole did you put in? Did you ream the hole or just drill it? Thanks, Eric

Eric = I'll have to ask my Smith what size, but if I recall correctly it is .0320 in diameter which is a little larger than those on say a Brazos which I think are 3/16. Since I run an unprotected SideMore C-more that is mounted forward this is probably a better solution than 3 holes. The C-more stayed clean for 100+ rounds of practice. On my shorty you start to get black screen at about 28 rounds so on a 32 round stage you can't see the last 4 shorts just use brail, and it has no holes. The hole is 12/16" from the rear of the first port on the Comp but as close to the end of the slide as we could get without affecting the structural integrity of the slide. Eric you can give Wayne or Chris a call at HO Guns 210-521-2288, they do all my work, in on Tuesday out on Wednesday fast turn around.

XRE - And his snappy comments, yeah, well cook the crow I deserve it. You've come up with a few things that don't make a lot of sense to us mortal men, like Soft and Flat is not necessarily fast, well I have to say I'm starting to believe that one as well. My little snappy shorty is still faster than this Soft and Flat full size gun. I've got no clue why but I going to figure it out.

Ron: I have shot with Wayne and yourself when I lived in Corpus Christi. Wayne is a nice guy. You are not bad either. I will be using Benny Hill for the build. He already fitted the barrel to the slide for me when I was there last and I will finish up the rest here in Albuquerque. Still trying to decide on the holes. Mine will be a 9mm 5". Thanks, Eric

Ron: I have shot with Wayne and yourself when I lived in Corpus Christi. Wayne is a nice guy. You are not bad either. I will be using Benny Hill for the build. He already fitted the barrel to the slide for me when I was there last and I will finish up the rest here in Albuquerque. Still trying to decide on the holes. Mine will be a 9mm 5". Thanks, Eric

Hey if you are working with Benny turn Benny lose on it. I shot a number of Benny guns and everyone of them has shot soft and flat, but then again they all had the old Benny comp and 2 or 3 holes, he isn't making the comp anymore I think. I actually called Benny and got his input on where and how big on these holes/hole. Holes or no holes comes down to which comp you have and what it takes for you to get comfortable shooting the gun. This gun has a Bedell Titanium with bull barrel and 10 oz slide. My other gun which is down right now waiting on a new barrel has a Brazos comp and it shoots well without holes. If you have a TruBore barrel/comp then you are going to need some holes to tame that beast. If you can find one of those 4 Port Dawson Todd Jarrett comps that is the ultimate in a comp, just a tad heavy, and you don't need any holes with that comp.

Just one word for that kind of repair/work = McGruber

JS

I shot Ron's Competitor yesterday and it does run flat, but it is loud. I told him to just put some tape on top of the popple holes to reduce noise....

JS

Well I'm waiting on word back about emergency popple hole installation, but if not I've got a backup plan. It involves rubber bands, crazy glue a strand of 10 gauge copper wire and a car remote door opener :unsure:

Tomorrow I'm shooting a classifier match with the new poppel hole, to B or not to B, well let the poppers fall where they will. I have not cronoed but I was at 175pf so there is plenty of FPS. I'm planning to try a couple different powders so I will crono and post it here.

Edited by CocoBolo

Shot two matches with the gun this weekend. I however failed to make "B" coming off with a 58.997% average, 1 mike on Melody Line short of B, going in I had a 52% average.

I did finish well in both matches 6th of 27 on Saturday and 13th of 69 on Sunday and won open division, #2 Open a M got 8th overall, those combined results will make you crazy.

The verdict is in according to one RO is that it makes your teeth rattle. The gun went from good to excellent in shooting. Very flat and soft and a pleasure to shoot, not much fun to RO.

This was my backup gun, I have promoted it to primary gun. My shorty drives a little faster. The smoothness of this gun helps to make very good hits and it produces boring results 2 A's all over the place. I can learn to drive it faster so its my Number One gun now.

Photo of Poppel hole:

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=731

Edited by CocoBolo

Hello: That hole is bigger than 0.032" in diameter surprise.gif Looks more like 0.062-0.090". Now the question of adding another hole or two. Do you feel lucky roflol.gif Sorry about not making "B" yet. You will get there. Thanks, Eric

I think the B isn't too far off, so I'll just enjoy being a good C for a while longer, like the money match coming up. Maybe I'll take my Production gun to the next major match, I'm a D in that division, I'll have to borrow the wife's gun. wacko.gif

My old 38 super had two holes and everyone said it was the flatest shooter they've seen. I've just replaced the barrel and tried shooting it without the holes and could really see and feel the difference. Ths weekend I put the holes back in and it's back to it's old self again. On the other hand while I was replacing the barrel I purchased a Brazos shorty and it has four holes and it is the most violent thing I've ever shot!!! Go figure.

My old 38 super had two holes and everyone said it was the flatest shooter they've seen. I've just replaced the barrel and tried shooting it without the holes and could really see and feel the difference. Ths weekend I put the holes back in and it's back to it's old self again. On the other hand while I was replacing the barrel I purchased a Brazos shorty and it has four holes and it is the most violent thing I've ever shot!!! Go figure.

Dan I am learning about the shorty with my 9 major. I would say put a Brazos comp on it but it already should have one. First thing I did to my junk yard shorty is put a 11# recoil spring in it. Now, it was still possible I'd be shooting over the berm if I shot during recoil so I threw a Tungsten guide rod in it, just a bit of boat anchor.

The FS Brazos guns like N105 and the like aka AA#7 and 3N38, big gas, so if you are 38 Super put some big gas rounds in it and it should put a smile on your face. If you are 9 major 10gr of AA#7 w/125gr might tame it a bit, I am running Silhouette in my 9 maj @7.7gr w/125.

Good Luck.