Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL case feeder alternative...

Yeah I think that if he released a parts list and some dimensions this would be a really common modification. The Lee feeder and collator are only about 35 bucks combined. The remainder of the parts look pretty basic, some track, guide rod(s) and you are done.

Well, I ordered some parts to try and replicate this as my plans for buying a case feeder were ruined by the clearance between my bench top and the rafters in my basement.  We'll see how it goes. 

Keep us informed of your progress!

Well, I ordered some parts to try and replicate this as my plans for buying a case feeder were ruined by the clearance between my bench top and the rafters in my basement.  We'll see how it goes. 

Short basement? Got one of those myself. How far is it from your bench to the rafters? I only have about two inches about the bowl on the feeder but I got the feeder pretty centered in between the rafters and no issues. I have 40 1/2" from bench to rafters and it's plenty.

Just wanted to throw the actual numbers I have out. I plan on raising my bench an inch and half or two and it will still be just fine. I use a cottage cheese container to fill the feeder.

Short basement?  Got one of those myself.  How far is it from your bench to the rafters?  I only have about two inches about the bowl on the feeder but I got the feeder pretty centered in between the rafters and no issues.  I have 40 1/2" from bench to rafters and it's plenty.

Just wanted to throw the actual numbers I have out.  I plan on raising my bench an inch and half or two and it will still be just fine.  I use a cottage cheese container to fill the feeder.

Benchtop to rafters is about 39".  It's a pretty tall bench.  Hornady told me that the mount for the feeder is 38", and the bowl is approximately another 4".  On top of that, my rafters are spaced pretty narrowly. 

Short basement?  Got one of those myself.  How far is it from your bench to the rafters?  I only have about two inches about the bowl on the feeder but I got the feeder pretty centered in between the rafters and no issues.  I have 40 1/2" from bench to rafters and it's plenty.

Just wanted to throw the actual numbers I have out.  I plan on raising my bench an inch and half or two and it will still be just fine.  I use a cottage cheese container to fill the feeder.

Benchtop to rafters is about 39".  It's a pretty tall bench.  Hornady told me that the mount for the feeder is 38", and the bowl is approximately another 4".  On top of that, my rafters are spaced pretty narrowly. 

I like Hornady but they have one fault... They don't know how tall their case feeder is, lol. I got the same information when I called them a year ago and it just didn't seem right. I knew I read overall it wasn't that tall and I was right. I found the review and specifically verified the height with the author. He said 37 1/2 to 38". Mine measures 37 3/4" tall.

My bench is built from an old kitchen counter topped with two layers of 3/4" ply and a 3/4" counter top. It's 38 1/2 to 39" tall for an overall height around 76 1/2" from the floor to the top of the feeder bowl. I'm 78 1/2" to 79" floor to rafters with 14 1/4" between my rafters.

If you have 39" from your bench to your rafters I'm 99.999999999% sure you have room for the Hornady case feeder. All you need is room between the rafters to be able to dump a cottage cheese container of brass in the hopper and unless you have gorilla arms 6" between rafters should be just fine.

If you want to build one of those just for something to do, by all means, have at it. I like building stuff too! If you want to do it because you don't think the real Hornady feeder will fit but you want a feeder I think your perfectly safe to order up the Hornady and skip the building. I know I waited over a year too long to order mine! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

I made a selfe made case collator for my LnL setup whats missing now is the joint for feeding cases to the press. Will order the Lee case feeder and try to modify it to the lnl.

Please do share if you manage to get it working, I'd love to make a case feeder but my mechanical skills are just barely good enough to replicate, not to design...

• 2 weeks later...

Thats pretty slick - the worst thing about that is that it will not work for rifles.

Before I purchased a press I called Hornady and asked about buying all the case insertion parts (kind of like Dillon 650 press) they said no they dont sell just the individual parts - you have to buy the case feeder. I would have gone with the LNL if they would have sold me the parts, but I ended up with a blue 650 instead.

Thats pretty slick - the worst thing about that is that it will not work for rifles.

Before I purchased a press I called Hornady and asked about buying all the case insertion parts (kind of like Dillon 650 press) they said no they dont sell just the individual parts - you have to buy the case feeder. I would have gone with the LNL if they would have sold me the parts, but I ended up with a blue 650 instead.

I bought Hornady LNL before I even knew case feeders existed. :D

I think if I can manage to make the case slider out of UHMW on my router (the closest I have to a milling machine) I'll be OK with the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, an update on trying to build this. 

First warning to anyone trying this on their own. DO NOT start this project without having a number of spare case retainer springs on hand. It is pretty easy to have an oops moment while trying things out that will mangle the spring beyond saving. 

It is a HUGE PITA. I've tried building it with miter slot and t-track. It's not working out so well. Looks like he uses a modified drawer slide, but I have been unable to find anything appropriate for the task locally that is sold individually. Everything I have encountered is WAY wider than what he has on his press.  

I think the problem is that it is too wide and too low profile. It is VERY, VERY hard to clear the shell plate before it starts indexing. One way to make this a bit easier is to make the sled taller. However, that seems to make it bind up due to the angle between where you are applying the push, and the constrained linear motion of the sled. Using guide wires to pull and push looks simple, but getting the bends right for two of them is hard. anything you can adjust cleanly in palce is too flimsy. I've made about 3 different sled deisgns that work by hand, and I've gotten as far as making a rod that works to pull the sled out in time to clear the case  I'm thinking of trying one guide rod and a spring. The entertainment factor is wearing thin at this point. 

Someone could probably build a pretty cost effective kit for this relatively speaking, but as a DIY effort, I don't think the cost savings is sufficient to justify the effort. The case feeder parts cost about $46 after shipping. So far for parts I'm in the hole to the tune of about $70, mostly due to the fact that I have to order things I can't find locally.  Even if the kit was $100, for $140 you'd have a simple, relatively small case feeder that as far as i can tell would refill faster than a motorized collator. 

Ok, an update on trying to build this.

Someone could probably build a pretty cost effective kit for this relatively speaking, but as a DIY effort, I don't think the cost savings is sufficient to justify the effort. The case feeder parts cost about $46 after shipping. So far for parts I'm in the hole to the tune of about $70, mostly due to the fact that I have to order things I can't find locally. Even if the kit was $100, for $140 you'd have a simple, relatively small case feeder that as far as i can tell would refill faster than a motorized collator.

Are you referring to the Lee case feeder parts for $46? I think it may be quite frustrating as well trying to fit this onto a Hornady.

Thanks for the detailed account, I was also considering building my own slide from whatever is available in hardware stores. I think I'll stop drooling & start saving for a LnL feeder instead. :D

• 5 months later...

I would be curious to find out why he has the thing grounded? There is a black ground wire connected to the mounting bolt of the press.. you can see it under / behind the case feed set up......

you spend all that money honestly and cant buy a casefeeder i dont know what to say sure its genius i guess i mean hes got two lock and load setups prog and ss if you noticed and h lnl isnt cheap

• 1 year later...

I think people are going about it wrong. Couldn't you adapt the rod that attaches to the press and then use the slider assembly? I have a loadmaster and I can't see why you couldn't adapt it. You'd have to make an adapter for the rod to attach to the press but you wouldn't have to make the rod assembly like people have been.

I would be curious to find out why he has the thing grounded? There is a black ground wire connected to the mounting bolt of the press.. you can see it under / behind the case feed set up......

Maybe he is worried about static electricity building up and lighting off powder?

you spend all that money honestly and cant buy a casefeeder i dont know what to say sure its genius i guess i mean hes got two lock and load setups prog and ss if you noticed and the lnl isnt cheap
If you have to ask "why" I won't be able to answer your question. FWIW the LNL is cheap, you can get 4 for the price of the 1050. Edited by jmorris