Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can scoring targets be visible from behind from within a COF?

CHA-LEE

This may seem like a simple question but here it goes. Can you have a stage setup that has a target located in a fashion which allows the shooter to see both the front and back of it? I understand that the front of the target is considered the scoring surface and you can't shoot through the back of a target to achieve valid hits. But is there a rule against a shooter being able to see and possibly engage the back of a target? I have made a very rudimentary COF example below. The shooting area is within the box. T1 & T2 are also within the box. T1's scoring surface is facing directly left. T2's scoring surface is facing directly right. The shooter can physically move to both sides of the COF to see both the scoring and non scoring sides of the targets. Is this a valid target presentation???

----------

|...T1...|

|...T2...|

----------

Edited by CHA-LEE

Obviously shoot through issues would need to be eliminated. But is it legal to be able to see both the front and the back of a target from what would be considered "Within the 180" vantage points. I have seen many stages where you could visually see the back of the targets past the 180 if you looked backwards up the COF. But I have never seen a COF where you could see the back of a scoring target while you are still within the valid shooting area and not breaking the 180.

Uh oh... :unsure: What are you going to send me?

I've only seen one stage that this was done. It was a Frank W. stage down at PPPS. It was a blast, but I'm not sure it would have passed a Level II match review. We all agreed he was on some really good drugs when he came up with it.

Interesting question...I have only seen this presentation in one major match, and being the inquisitive type asked about shooting it in the back. The answer that I obtained was that engaging said target from the non scoring side would result in non-scoring hits.

Our club will often set up stages "in depth", where the shooter ends up down range of some of the first targets engaged. The stages are set up so that only the scoring side of the up range target is visible from where it would be reasonable and safe to engage it, and only the NS side elsewhere. IOW, the shooter would have to be turned away from the actual shoot targets, facing uprange with the muzzle uprange and engaging only the no shoot sides of those targets. We also block, as best we can, side visual access to the targets - the shooter is already past them before the backsides even become visible.

I don't think we've had any 180 violations on this so far, and nobody, even from pretty high up on the NROI food chain, who has seen it has commented on it not being allowed, only that the shoot side of the target be safe to engage from whatever angle the shooter might see it while on the COF.

It's legal. It's not recommended, because in some situations, it could confused the shooter and cause them to break the 180, but... it's definitely legal...

I have a couple of stage idea's that would incorporate targets being visible from both sides. I just needed some confirmation that setting up targets like this would be legal. Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

I see your question ... But it's hard to give a blanket answer. Some things to consider:

9.5.8 - Only hits from the front (scoring side) of a target or no-shoot will count for score or penalty.

2.1.2 and 2.1.4 - Deal with Safe Angles of Fire and Target Locations ... Look at these two rules VERY closley WRT your intended target set up and make your call ...

I know you'd like a "yes or no" answer, but it's really hard to give without a really good sketch or actually seeing the target placement in the field.

Edited by Schutzenmeister