Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fusion kit in 40S&W

Marv Z

Looking for info on the fusion kits for 1911's. I ran a search and lots of talk about them,but nobody seemed to have completed one. What is the level of expertise involved in one of these. I done a lot of minor fitting for triggers and the like, but never anything on this scale. Looks like you can get a high quality gun for a resonable price if you can finish it. Thanks!!!

Just put together a 9mm scout kit.

I used SV trigger parts and an ed brown safety. If you can properly fit these components, you can build it.

Very accurate and i am quite satisfied.

Looking for info on the fusion kits for 1911's. I ran a search and lots of talk about them,but nobody seemed to have completed one. What is the level of expertise involved in one of these. I done a lot of minor fitting for triggers and the like, but never anything on this scale. Looks like you can get a high quality gun for a resonable price if you can finish it. Thanks!!!

Basically, I had to fit the grip safety, thumb safety, the trigger, and the mag release. There wa the usual filing for the final fit on the sights. Also, on the bomar cut option, if you order sights from them, they'll drill and tap the hole for the adjustment screw for free. Otherwise you gave to do that. For trigger parts, I went with a cylinder & slide kit. It dropped in just fine. Also some polishing of the feed ramp and underside of the barrel hood was needed.

It basically runs. It is a bit picky about which magazines it plays nicely with, and that varies wit oal of the rounds. But it is a .40, so not that unusual.

Just FYI, it's STI parts. You can get an STI short block and do the same thing and still be eligible for the contingency program, while supporting a company that supports our sport! R,

+1

I believe the OP is looking to build a 1911.

The STI Short Block Kit is a 2011.

STI offers a 1911 frame with pre-fit slide and frame. According to the description it's for a .45 ACP non-ramped barrel. I may be wrong but I don't think STI offers a 1911 frame with pre-fit slide and frame for a ramped barrel.

I'm a big fan of STI and own several, but those Fusion kits look like a hell of a deal.

Marv Z: If you're looking at the Fusion Scout Kit with the barrel already fit and the plunger tube installed I agree with raz-0, you're looking at fitting the parts he listed. If you feel comfortable doing that level of work you should have no problem with the Fusion Scout Kit.

Beyond that you need to decide what level of cosmetic work you want to do. I like to blend the grip safety to the back of the frame and blend the MSH to the frame. I'm not familiar with the bare STI/Fusion frame but a Caspian frame benefits from some smoothing and blending in the trigger guard area. I also like to break all of the sharp edges and smooth them out. Kind of like a carry bevel but almost imperceptible where you really have to look to see that it's been done.

Good luck!

Rick

07969690-00d2-4255-8f50-b43877e263e7.jpg

Back of slide and frame blended after barrel was fit. Grip safety blended to frame.

Funky lighting, the colors of the various parts do match.

bbafb42a-40e6-4d48-84fa-9fbda22f9b95.jpg

Trigger guard on Caspian frame.

Good idea. Get both. That way you are buying from STI and supporting them directly since they do so much for USPSA. Then buy from Fusion since their frames and slides are STI products and it's an indirect way of supporting STI. The best of both worlds. cheers.gif

I keep looking at the STI edge in 40 for a limited gun. With a Fusion, I'd have to shoot single stack and I decided I don't want that.Way too many mag changes. I also own a Tanfoglio Stock 2 and it's really a great shooter. Thinking about a Witness Limited in 40 also. I know this is off topic, but anyone have any opinions about the two? Seems like the STI is way more popular, but about $600 more.

I also own a Tanfoglio Stock 2 and it's really a great shooter. Thinking about a Witness Limited in 40 also. I know this is off topic, but anyone have any opinions about the two? Seems like the STI is way more popular, but about $600 more.

You have a Tanfoglio already, so you're aware of the difference in feel between it and the 1911/2011 platform. I recently switched over from STI and Para open and limited guns to Tanfoglio. I like the higher grip and overall feel a bit better, although I am still a big 1911 fan. Hop over into the EAA/Tanfoglio forum or Henning's forum and post this question up, you'll get some good responses.