Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Spartan 9mm owners: the "as it should be" upgrades?

BayouSlide

The crystal ball foresees a 9mm Spartan in my future. If purchased, I will be getting it from a very capable 'smith. For a change of pace, I'm easing into the 1911/2011 realm after years as a Glock Production shooter, so I'm interested in opinions of those who know more than me— nearly anyone perusing this thread, I'd guess :D .

Right out of the box, what would you Spartan owners see as the most essential mods you either made or wished you had done? I'm working on a budget so I'm looking for the most bang for the buck right now, as it comes from the 'smith, not necessarily parts I can easily add on myself after shooting it for a while.

No plans to shoot Singlestack at present, though that could change. I would like to run it in steel matches, if that makes any difference in your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

The crystal ball foresees a 9mm Spartan in my future. If purchased, I will be getting it from a very capable 'smith. For a change of pace, I'm easing into the 1911/2011 realm after years as a Glock Production shooter, so I'm interested in opinions of those who know more than me— nearly anyone perusing this thread, I'd guess :D .

Right out of the box, what would you Spartan owners see as the most essential mods you either made or wished you had done? I'm working on a budget so I'm looking for the most bang for the buck right now, as it comes from the 'smith, not necessarily parts I can easily add on myself after shooting it for a while.

No plans to shoot Singlestack at present, though that could change. I would like to run it in steel matches, if that makes any difference in your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

It comes with a FO front sight right? Adjustable rears? Your shooting a glock now so the factory trigger is going to be like heaven! Anyway, here is what I would do but the problem is you might not like what I would do as that is the beauty of 1911s you can, "have it your way". I would put a Ed Brown wide thumb safety on it. A XT magwell on it, yes even for steel due to the grip it provides, have a trigger job on it, I like a 2.5 crisp trigger and call it done. Don't know if the feed ramp is polished but if its not I would have the smith polish it make it the correct angle for feeding with 10 round mags.

Curtis,

Out of the box it shoots and works great. The OOB trigger pull is 7-7.5 lbs.

Being a lefty, this is what I have done mostly for personal preference

NEEDED: Trigger Job - Mine is down to around 2.5 lbs

Nothing else is needed if you are right handed

My ADDED options:

8-10 recoil spring

STI SS Ambi safety

Dawson .10 FO front sight (comes with a .125)

SVI flat trigger

Dawson Gap magwell for SS guns.

And that is it.

Look at all the load data I just posted (PF and Accuracy data included). That will save you alot of money right off the back. Word to the wise though. It does not like any kind of flat point bullet.

There is already a "Spartan" thread down a ways. Check it out.

FWIW

Richard

Been there, done that, thanks. Not looking to rehash any info from existing threads, but some fresh insights from owners who spent some time with the Spartan...and edited to add...to examine some things that might only apply to my particular needs and circumstances.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Thanks Corey and Todd.

My first thoughts on initial must-haves were basic reliability tuning, a trigger job and the .40 FO, with a magwell down the road. Will take a look at both your suggestions on magwells.

As a Glock guy, i'm still getting used to a thumb safety. I was familar with the standard STI ambi from a friend's Edge. I fitted the standard STI ambi to the used STI Eagle I bought and it seems OK to me...a foreign experience but I'm coming to grips with it. :devil: The STI I fitted went in without too much drama, but if I were to change out the thumb safety on the Spartan, I'd prefer getting this done with the trigger job. Both you guys dumped the single sided safety that came with the Spartan: what didn't you like about it?

Appreciate the help.

Curtis

Corey or Todd:

Either of you guys going to be at Area 4 this week? I'll be working one of the stages (don't know which one yet) and would love to talk with either of you.

Curtis

Curtis,

I will not be there, but next time you shoot CAS shoot me an email and I will try to bring it by for you to look at.

Since I am a lefty I had to add the Ambi. No choice for me.

Ask anything you want I have probably spent more time with the gun than anyone, especially when it comes to loads and mags.

Curtis,

I will not be there, but next time you shoot CAS shoot me an email and I will try to bring it by for you to look at.

Since I am a lefty I had to add the Ambi. No choice for me.

Ask anything you want I have probably spent more time with the gun than anyone, especially when it comes to loads and mags.

Will do, Todd.

I talked to the folks at STI and they will have a Spartan at their table at Area 4 so I will be able to check one out in factory configuration before deciding whether I want to order one and what mods I might need.

From the threads here I have picked up on the fact that nearly everyone who bought one, feels it's a great value for the $$$, which means it will fit within the "like to have and can actually afford" budget even with a couple mods added to the bottom line.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

My only big grief with the gun is that it will not run with MG / PD 124 HP (same profile) and any lead flat point. I can live with that. At some point when the parkerized finish wears off I will get it blued as to keep the contrast between the SS controls and the rest of the gun.

Having one in my lap, were I to keep this gun for MYSELF, I would do a few things, some for cosmetics, some for fluidity between my other guns, and some because I think it needs to be done to make it a pleasurable experience.

Hard Chrome or satin Cobalt the frame (I'll post pics of this in my dealer forum shortly)

SVI Interchangeable Trigger System (with a medium flat insert)

DP fiber optic front sight

Ambi safety (because there's no reason not to IMO)

VZ Grips (because I like a tacky grip easy to hold in recoil)

EGW Ultimate Trigger Kit (stoned and polished for a nice crisp trigger break)

Polish and champfer all the sharp edges on the bbl for reliable feeding

That's all I'd do to the gun right off the bat, then I'd shoot the snot out of it.

Funny how you should check into this thread, Bobby. You greatly resemble that "highly competent 'smith" I was mentioning earlier :roflol:

That check list is looking pretty good as a build sheet...I had meant to ask you about a flat trigger...the one on this used 2011 I picked up seems to suit my long finger well, but I got used to a Glock, right, so I can't be that choosy, right? :roflol:

I'm pretty sure you won't get to keep that gun for yourself, but I have an idea where it might find a good home down on the Bayou Teche. :D

Curtis

Corey or Todd:

Either of you guys going to be at Area 4 this week? I'll be working one of the stages (don't know which one yet) and would love to talk with either of you.

Curtis

Sadly no. I've got the Buckeye Challenge coming up sunday, then IN sectional and PROAM and I'm probably done for the year. I just don't have the vacation time I would like to have to be able to shoot all these great matches sad.gif

That is a Tripp 10 round mad with Tripp base pads and the Dawson Ice for SS guns.

I am running to Wilson ETM 10 rounders with the Ice Magwell with the gap so I do not need to purchase those pads.

Curtis,

While you are checking out the Spartan 9 at Area 4 ask about them putting out one in .40! I am sure someone has asked but if enough people ask they might do it.

Thanks,

Richard

PS: PM me with what they say.

Having one in my lap, were I to keep this gun for MYSELF, I would do a few things, some for cosmetics, some for fluidity between my other guns, and some because I think it needs to be done to make it a pleasurable experience.

Hard Chrome or satin Cobalt the frame (I'll post pics of this in my dealer forum shortly)

That's all I'd do to the gun right off the bat, then I'd shoot the snot out of it.

with a change to a 45 instead of 9mm and you may have a list for my next gun in your hands, haha.

Post or PM a quote on this Spartan in 45ACP. Satin Cobalt and I'll suffer with the stock front sight.

I've asked a member of the mod staff to move your post to my dealer forums so I can answer your question.

i knew somethign like this would happen, haha. now i have to go back into yor forum and fight urge to grab my wallet!

Curtis,

First, it's hard to believe your moving away from the Glocks. But at least your moving in the right direction. Take a look at the 40 S&W before doing anything. Even in Single Stack you will be able to shoot major and you can still down load to a very light load for steel. The problem with 9mm is you are stuck with minor and there is no way around it, you will lose a lot in points without any real gain in capacity.

If you are looking for one gun to do it all, I would suggest a 2011 style gun. Do it right the first time and don't look back. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Your buddy,

Beauxdog

Curtis I agree partly with what Bryan said, but if you plan on shooting single stack and steel you should get the Trojan in .40, if you plan to shoot limited, limited 10, and steel, get an Edge in .40. My major load for .40 is a 180 bayou bullet with 4.7 of tight group, for steel, I just drop a 135 Ranier, of one of GAT's 143 on top with no change in powder charge. The spartan is a good gun, I did the trigger for Todd, but I don't like the non-ramped barrel, limits you to certain bullet profile. I just switched powders for my .40's, I'm using a load from Joel with Salut, the supposedly Russian Unique. I posted data on it in the .40 forum. Load was way softer than with Tightgroup and cleaner too.

Darrell

I know as fellow South of I-10 residents, Darrell and Beauxdog have my best interests at heart...not my checkbook maybe, but definitely my best interests. :cheers:

Already had picked up a used STI 2011 in .40...now I need want a 9mm. After handling the Spartan and Trojan whenever I could get clear of Stage 3, I definitely prefer the Trojan...I like the balance better and it's less nose heavy. Nicer parts and fit and finish as well. Dare I say it, with a balance closer to my G34 :devil: The extra weight in the front in the Spartan might prove advantageous in .45 or .40S&W but doesn't float my boat for a 9mm steel gun. What can I say...I like 9s but it will probably be down the road a ways as I come to terms with my new Limited gun. The Spartan is nice, especially at the price point, and fit the budget but I think there's a Trojan in my future someday.

And Richard, sorry I didn't see your note about asking for the Spartan in .40 before I left...drop Jay an e-mail via the sales contact link at STIs Web site. As we say in Louisiana, vote early and vote often :roflol:

Curtis