Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hat Cam Mounting Pics

blind bat

Would you guys mind posting pics of how you've mounted your hat/helmet/headband/ear muff cams?

I picked up a cheap ATC2K and I've mounted it to the brim of a baseball cap but I can't seem to get a good POV shot. I either have a great view of the top of the gun and no target or the targets look great and almost no gun... Of course I did pick the cheapest camera on the market so that could have something to do with it.

Edited by blind bat

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the same camera and am trying to do exactly what you're talking about. I've run into the same problems. The only good setup that I have for it is on my AR. I used velcro to mount the base on the foregrip just forward of my support hand. gives just a little bit of the flash hider and pretty good view of down range. No problems with it coming loose yet.

Just can't get a good setup for the pistol yet. If I get a solution, I'll be sure to post it for you.

I've got the same camera and am trying to do exactly what you're talking about. I've run into the same problems. The only good setup that I have for it is on my AR. I used velcro to mount the base on the foregrip just forward of my support hand. gives just a little bit of the flash hider and pretty good view of down range. No problems with it coming loose yet.

Just can't get a good setup for the pistol yet. If I get a solution, I'll be sure to post it for you.

Here was my solution for the GoPro... some variation on the theme I imagine would work as well.. The mounting bracket is attached with zip ties. Just drilled thru the brim of a hat and used a dremel to smooth it out a bit.

97mrli.jpg

Camera mounted

21jbnrq.jpg

Here was my solution for the GoPro... some variation on the theme I imagine would work as well.. The mounting bracket is attached with zip ties. Just drilled thru the brim of a hat and used a dremel to smooth it out a bit.

97mrli.jpg

Camera mounted

21jbnrq.jpg

Can you post a video with it in use? Is it heavy?

Like a lot of people, I used a sacrificial hat and wire ties.

camstart.jpg

I was really tempted to use it zip tied UNDER the brim, for a true POV shot, but I couldn't get used to it there.

What's the matter, you don't like wrist movies? :D

I have the front edge of the hat bill curled up, plus wrapped the end of the camera (Archos) with tape to try and raise the camera shot, but still all I got was wrist pictures. I found I needed to wear my hat a lot higher than normal to get the angle right. One of the advantages of the unit with a screen is you can adjust the height and sideways angle (if you tilt your head when you shoot). I have sort of an aggressive forward position when I shoot (this kind of shooting anyway) which makes it harder to setup before hand.

camlean.jpg

In that photo and the video, you can see I'm still having ejection issues, throwing them straight over my head. :rolleyes:

I put the unit in a dump pouch on my right hip. I'd like to recommend the Archos, but I can't. Not the 405 unit I have anyway. It doesn't work right more often than it does, and battery life is pitiful. :angry2:

Edited by cas

Sure, lot's of them on my youtube channel, here's one. And no it's not heavy, you feel it at first but after a few seconds you don't notice it at all.

Last months steel fun match...

In that photo and the video, you can see I'm still having ejection issues, throwing them straight over my head.

Have you reshaped the ejector yet??? It took about 10 mins with a file to get both of my SP-01s to eject out to the right instead of up and over my head.

Now back on topic. I use a Vholdr camera mounted upside down on my Sordins. I mount it upside down because that puts the lens at the same level as my eyes.

Vid 1 This is a stage at my local club. This one is from the POV of the camera on my right side.

Here is the same run from the left side POV. Vid 2

I'll take a pic of how I have the cameras mounted tomorrow and post it.

My cameras are the older standard resolution models from VHoldR. I am thinking of getting one of the newest high def versions similar to MemphisMechanic's camera.

Sure, lot's of them on my youtube channel, here's one. And no it's not heavy, you feel it at first but after a few seconds you don't notice it at all.

Last months steel fun match...

Cool thanks. looks like it's stays stationary when moving. Does the quality of the video look like that because of you didn't load it as 720 or 1080 on your sofetware?

The Contour HD has amazing picture quality, but it's heavy and expensive. I use a camera called MD-80. It's light, picture quality is ok, but most importantly, it cost me $4.

0505.jpg

IMG_1527.JPG

Edited by askomiko

Cool thanks. looks like it's stays stationary when moving. Does the quality of the video look like that because of you didn't load it as 720 or 1080 on your sofetware?

This is the cheapo $99 version of the Go Pro... resolution is optimized for youtube updates, looks better on my TV but it is no HD by any means. I needed one for match feedback and practice for improvement, wasn't looking for HD quality. It is what it is, and for the price, not bad.

they do have other versions, I'd just rather buy primers bullets and powder :D

It does stay steady, even running and that's not using any anti shake software.

The Vholder is the best that I've seen, but at 3x the price.

• 3 weeks later...

The Contour HD has amazing picture quality, but it's heavy and expensive. I use a camera called MD-80. It's light, picture quality is ok, but most importantly, it cost me $4.

0505.jpg

IMG_1527.JPG

How/where do you mount it?

My Canon compact digital camera takes hi-def video. It has a threaded socket on the bottom to allow it to be mounted on a tripod. I went to the hardware store and bought a bolt that fits it, and a washer. I drilled a hole through the bill of a cap, and screwed it into the bottom of the camera. I drilled two smaller holes so I can secure the other end of the camera with a zip tie. I did have to offset the camera to make sure the lens is centered.

afc6cedf.jpg

Forgot to post a pic of how my VHoldR is mounted.

I just bought the VHoldR. Does the 3M tape stick very well and have you worn it when it's rained alot? Also mind if you post some video? I put mine on the bill of my cap but it was a little low. Here is the video

Thanks for any info.