Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

switching belts/mag pouches mid match

Im doing a little pre planning and discussing some multi-gun matches with a coupel guys at work and some questions about carrying extra ammo. i think im going to go with the shotshell holders on the belt and weak hand load there. going to need 3 or 4 of those at a minimum i think. thinkin of 10rd mags for my 1911, 3 or 4 of those. now i need a way to carry a mag or 2 for the AR. I cant fit all that on my belt.

Is it against any rules to have multiple belts and switch them out depending if its a shotgun stage or handgun stage, etc? or does the belt/mag setup need to remain the same throughout.

most likely will be shooting Tac optics if it matters (assuming i can get my scope and mount ordered).

thanks!!

Im doing a little pre planning and discussing some multi-gun matches with a coupel guys at work and some questions about carrying extra ammo. i think im going to go with the shotshell holders on the belt and weak hand load there. going to need 3 or 4 of those at a minimum i think. thinkin of 10rd mags for my 1911, 3 or 4 of those. now i need a way to carry a mag or 2 for the AR. I cant fit all that on my belt.

Is it against any rules to have multiple belts and switch them out depending if its a shotgun stage or handgun stage, etc? or does the belt/mag setup need to remain the same throughout.

most likely will be shooting Tac optics if it matters (assuming i can get my scope and mount ordered).

thanks!!

Otto ShotGun Products

Custom made Shotgun Shell Vest, These vest are good for either Strong hand or Week hand reloading..

<P align=center> Vest with 3 Four Rounder are $115.00 <P align=center>Vest with 4 plates Six or Four rounder are $70.00

Vest with 4 caddies 147.00

Vest with 3 Plates for Six or Four Rounder are $62.50

9 Round Shell Holder is $25.00

8 Round Shell Holder is $25.00

6 Round Shell Holder is $22.00

2 Round Shell Holder is $12.00

http://www.triangleshootingsports.com/otto.htm

Get it off your belt and on to your chest.

But to answer your question no restriction on changing belts as long as the equipment is legal under the rules. Most 3 Guns I've shot have only had stages with 2 of the 3 guns, it would be bad if you had a stage with 28 rounds of shotgun then 2 rounds of rifle and 2 rounds of pistol.

If you shoot all 3 guns on a stage you usually won't need more than one AR mag in your gun plus a back up on your belt which you will want to put way around on your hip or back. This is especially true if your like me and run a 47 round Nordic mag or a CMMG 40 rounder or a Firebird 30 round coupler in the gun to start with. I also just got one of Mark Otto's sideways AR mag pouches so I can keep a backup in the small of my back whre it will most likely never be in the way of my other gear.

You will usually use only 20 pistol rounds or less so 2-3 mags usually covers that. If you are shooting a 1911 try one of those stacked mag pouches. I can't rememebr who makes them. Blade tech possibly?

The shotgun will most likely be loaded at the buzzer unless the MD is a A-Hole so 2-3 caddies on the front of your belt should suffice. This is where the 6 rounders come in handy over the 4 round caddies.

You should always change up what's on your belt for the stage at hand. I thought about getting 3-4 different belts with gear for different always on them because it is not fun changing all yoru stuff around every stage but that would never work out with so many possibilities.

Edited by jtischauser

I wear my normal USPSA pistol belt with an AR mag holder back behind the pistol mag pouches. I have my 4 six round shotgun shell carriers on a separate belt that I put on just above the pistol belt. The holster and mag pouches keep the shotgun carrier belt from sliding down. I keep the shell carriers in front, the pistol mags to the left, and the AR mag ends up slightly behind me.

Mark Otto's 4 and 6 round caddies have the new version of teklock belt attachment, so it makes re-rigging between stages a snap (literally). For instance: I run a bladetech holster strong side, 2 cr speed mag carriers opposite hip, with 2 of Mark's AR mag carriers behind them. this stuff stays on my belt all the time. Now, if need be I add up to five of the 4 round caddies across the front and one 6 rounder behind my handgun if necessary for the course. This is supplemented by a 9rd side saddle and 9 round arm band (also by Mark Otto -- notice a trend here?) because some matches will have a ridiculous shot count sometimes, better to have and not need than the other way around. Allows me the option to have up to 53 shot shells of various type, plenty enough.

I wear my normal USPSA pistol belt with an AR mag holder back behind the pistol mag pouches. I have my 4 six round shotgun shell carriers on a separate belt that I put on just above the pistol belt. The holster and mag pouches keep the shotgun carrier belt from sliding down. I keep the shell carriers in front, the pistol mags to the left, and the AR mag ends up slightly behind me.

I do this exact same thing. Last year I was taking shell caddy's on and off, messing with everything in between stages... SUCKED. I bought a 2" Web construction belt at Lowes and put my caddys on it... Seems to be working well :cheers:

I do this exact same thing. Last year I was taking shell caddy's on and off, messing with everything in between stages... SUCKED. I bought a 2" Web construction belt at Lowes and put my caddys on it... Seems to be working well :cheers:

This is an interesting idea. I may need to try it too. However the position of those shotshell caddies is kind of crucial to getting agood handfull of shells everytime.

It works well for me. 4 6-round caddys fit right in between my holster and 1st mag pouch. (My belt is set up for my production rig). The second belt rides higher, which I actually like (helps with the clearance of my "tactical tummy"). The higher position was an unintended bonus.

Several of the guys I shoot with do this also and have convinced me to go this route. The Calf Comp Works shell holders I use just don't go on or off a pistol belt easily, and it's a pain re-rigging between stages.

It works well for me. 4 6-round caddys fit right in between my holster and 1st mag pouch. (My belt is set up for my production rig). The second belt rides higher, which I actually like (helps with the clearance of my "tactical tummy"). The higher position was an unintended bonus.

Tactical Tummy....I'll have to use that because Lord knows I've got one. :)

You can also put your shotgun shell holders on a second belt and put it on above your regular gun belt. Getting these rounds up just a bit higher than the normal belt aids the reload. And at least I have enough belly fat over the top of my navel an inner belt is not needed.

In a more direct answer to your question ... MG Rule 5.2.5.3 ...

There are only a handful of matches that use those rules ;)

If you're talking about a USPSA multigun match, those ARE the rules. http://uspsa.org/rules/2010_Multigun_Rules.pdf

I think that was quite obvious, but thanks for clarifying. It doesn't change the fact that the majority of multigun matches do not use USPSA rules.

Well, so then if you ask if something is against the rules, isn't is possible to get a dozen different correct answers based on a dozen different rulesets? Maybe it's better to ask "is legal at so-and-so's match to do this or that", given the fragmented nature of 3gun and multigun.

Adjusting ones belts for stage specific needs NEVER was a rule for or against in any "outlaw" match. In the past it was against the rules to remove/adjust shotgun shell holders from ones belt, in USPSA rules...That silly rule has been removed.

And one only has to read the "dozen" or so different rule sets to realize that they are really NOT that different...other than a few small things they have been kept near the same for a reason. fragmented? not! I shoot most of the major matches and get along just fine with my equipment and "mindset" being within the rules.

jj