Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sabre Defense 18" SPR Barrel Accuracy?

5Shot

Anyone shooting this barrel (the Fluted Mid Length)? How is the accuracy? I am looking for a low cost barrel to do another build and I am debating between the Sabre and the DPMS Mini SASS. The fact that the Sabre is Chrome Lined is a bonus.

Edited by 5Shot

I have one of those. With both heavy and light bullets I get groups of right at 1". With more load developement sub-moa is likely achieveable, but 1" is good enough for 3 gun.

My favorite thing about the fluted Sabre barrels is the weight. The fluting is wide enough to really lighten things up, without any sacrifices.

Well, I don't know what SPR is but I do have an 18" Sabre with a Mid length gas system in my Sabre "Competition special" and it shoots better than I do (55 grn LC is sub 1"@ 100 and 77 LC is sub 2 " @ 200).

I know several folk with this same barrel, and they are all satisfied.

I also went through the factory on a personal grand tour. VERY clean and effecient opperation I was impressed.

HOP

Thanks - that is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

BTW - SPR is "Special Purpose Rifle" and most of the 18" heavy profile barrels are marketed as such. I just was looking to build a nice long range rig that wouldn't need to be rebarreled too quickly.

I've got the Sabre 18" Fluted 410 Stainless Mid-Length Gas barrel and it shoots sub MOA with Black Hills Remanufactured 77gr Match HP.

It shoots just under 2 MOA with PMC Bronze 55gr.

That's off a sandbag with a Burris XTR 1-4x on 4x.

The Stainless barrels aren't chrome lined though.

The light weight of the fluted barrel is nice.

Well, I don't know what SPR is but I do have an 18" Sabre with a Mid length gas system in my Sabre "Competition special" and it shoots better than I do (55 grn LC is sub 1"@ 100 and 77 LC is sub 2 " @ 200).

I know several folk with this same barrel, and they are all satisfied.

I also went through the factory on a personal grand tour. VERY clean and effecient opperation I was impressed.

HOP

I used to run this exact barrel, well plus 2", and I was getting 1/2" groups with my 55 grain MG reloads.

The "blaster" ammo my brother and I use (Scarch processed LC cases, Hornaday bulk packed 55 gr fmj with cannelure, loaded on a Dillon 650) will shoot groups off the bench in the 7/8" to 1/2" range at 100 yards if I do my part.

Robert

L2723

Thanks for all the feedback.

What gas block are you guys using (the barrels at Midway don't come with a gas block)? I am going to check with Brownells special order desk to see if they can get it with a gas block, but otherwise I will need to order one.

On my 20" stainless mid-length I have a PRI gas block under a DPMS free float tube. Keeps the gas block nice and protected.

On my 18" CMV mid-length I have an Adams Arms piston kit. I won the kit at Benning last year and it works like a charm on this gun (and looks good too.)

Sabre 18" SPR, 1 in 8, mid length gas. I know the attached pic is just a fluke. Most of the time the groups are twice that big.

OOps, pic didn't attach. Anyway, it's a 1/2" 3 shot group at 300 yards.

Edited by Mickster

• 4 weeks later...

How is the recoil difference of these Sabre Defence 18" SPR barrels with the mid length gas system compared to an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system? If the mid length produces "considerably more" recoil, than this recoil be controlled with an adjustable gas block? Does the 18" Sabre barrel come with a dimple underneath to install a new gas block? Thanks in advance.