Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

federal large magnum primers

jdk62738super

If by magnum primers, you mean the Federals, then use them if you can get them. I have used them and only had to drop the load by .1 grain. They work just fine. If not Federal, then I don't know. If your action will break them I would say go for it.

Good Luck.

I did a chrono test yesterday between standard and magnum primers in some .38 Spcl ICORE loads. Used cases from the same lot, same powder and charge, same cast bullets (weighed each to ensure consistency), same primer seating depth, basically did all I could to ensure that the only difference between the loads was the primer.

I don't have the exact numbers at hand, but found that velocities were virtually identical (actually had a couple of the standard primer loads go faster), AND the magnum primer loads were considerably more consistent. Standard deviation was only 18 fps.

If you've got Magnum primers, use 'em! It won't hurt a thing and may even help.

I used to be picky with primers, then the big shortage hit and the new rule was use what you can get. After a year of that my new opinion is it makes little difference what primer you use. I am shooting some strange combinations sucessfully.

Boats

Several years ago I purchased some small pistol magnum instead of standard small psitol and did not realize it until after I had loaded several hundred rounds of mild 40 S&W (ca 750 fps with 155 to 180 gr. FMJ's). The magnum primer chrongraphed ca 15 fps faster than standard.

Due to the Federal primer shortage, I've bought and used both small and large magnum Federal primers, and small magnum match Federal primers.

The only difference I could see was in the cost, not in the shooting. Of course, I didn't do a really scientific study to evaluate any bullet velocity differences. My equipment to measure bullet weights, powder charge weights, and to chrony the speeds probably isn't accurate and precise enough to pick up a difference, if one exists.

Then again, I'm practical pistol shooting, not bulls-eye shooting or bench-rest distance shooting.

Quick and probably silly question....Are the federal primers used in factory ammo the same sensitivity that ones we buy to reload? Just incase I decide to use my gun for more than target shooting...

The Federal primers are the same, but ATK who owns Federal also owns CCI and a bunch of other gun related companies. If they are short on Federal primers at some point, they may load Federal ammo with CCI primers, who knows? If you buy factory ammo, better check it out before you need to use it for hunting, self defense or whatever.

Quick and probably silly question....Are the federal primers used in factory ammo the same sensitivity that ones we buy to reload? Just incase I decide to use my gun for more than target shooting...

The Federal primers are the same, but ATK who owns Federal also owns CCI and a bunch of other gun related companies. If they are short on Federal primers at some point, they may load Federal ammo with CCI primers, who knows? If you buy factory ammo, better check it out before you need to use it for hunting, self defense or whatever.

Hehe I was leaving all that as non specific as I could to avoid the red ink wrath. Thanks for the input.