Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best books, for improving your shooting skills/strategies?

DocMedic

I'm starting my 3rd year of competitive pistol shooting, and this year I really want to hit it hard to move from High C to M within a year of this posting. What books would all of you recommend to read to help improve overall shooting skills and strategies? I have read Brian Eno's Practical shooting book, but so far thats the only book I have.

Thinking Practical Shooting by Saul Kirsch

Refinement and Repetition by Steve Anderson

Along with Brian's book, these make up the big three for me. I'm just a D class about to move up to C, but since reading these and working the drills from Steve's book, I'm climbing up the match results.

Thinking Practical Shooting by Saul Kirsch

Refinement and Repetition by Steve Anderson

Along with Brian's book, these make up the big three for me. I'm just a D class about to move up to C, but since reading these and working the drills from Steve's book, I'm climbing up the match results.

+1 and also add Steve's second book. I would also recommend Matt Burkett's videos. Nothing like being able to read about a certain type of technique and then be able to watch it on video. Cuts down alot of trial and error.

Flyin

If you want an aggressive plan for an aggressive goal, I'd bypass the book and use the money for a class from a reputable teacher/shooter. Then, shoot as many majors as you can afford, and spend the rest on bullets and range time and come up with a dry fire/training schedule that's both realistic and aggressive and most importantly, something that you truly commit to. The road to Master in that time frame is not something that you can get to simply by reading more books and a loose/non structured training schedule. Understand what you are doing now, how to fix those deficiencies and measure them.

If you want an aggressive plan for an aggressive goal, I'd bypass the book and use the money for a class from a reputable teacher/shooter. Then, shoot as many majors as you can afford, and spend the rest on bullets and range time and come up with a dry fire/training schedule that's both realistic and aggressive and most importantly, something that you truly commit to. The road to Master in that time frame is not something that you can get to simply by reading more books and a loose/non structured training schedule. Understand what you are doing now, how to fix those deficiencies and measure them.

While I agree with you, I can't really pull out my pistol at work and start dry firing when I have some time off :) A book will have to fill the gaps.

Check out Ben Stoeger's 15 minute dry fire drills

Everyone has 15 minutes a day to dry-fire at home.

Reread Brian's book again, you might even pick up something new, I know I have.

+1 on Steve Anderson's books, anything by Saul Kirsch, and Matt Burkett's videos.

I also recommend the 3GM and 3GM 2 DVD's featuring Saul Kirsch, Max Michel, and Angus Hobdell.

Most importantly, as everyone else has said you've got to live fire and shoot matches as much as possible.

As I'm sure you know, reading alone will not get you there.

Good luck and best wishes.

This will be my 6th year. I am a high "B" open shooter. I shoot almost every weekend April-October. At one time I wanted to be classed as high as I could as quickly as I could, not anymore. I actually just want to be competitive in my class and move up as I am ready. The book advice and DVDs listed are all excellent. The best advice, in my opinion, is from Aristotle. Nothing is better than one on one training from someone that's not just a GM, but also one of those 3 or 5 percenters that could actually win on the Area/National level. Yes, the books will fill the gaps, I hear what you're saying.

I would suggest Lanny Bassham's "With Winning in Mind". I believe he has forgotten more about winning than I know.

Edited to say: Plus, you will learn techniques and management skills to help you achieve your goal with Lanny's book.

Edited by fourtrax

While I agree with you, I can't really pull out my pistol at work and start dry firing when I have some time off :) A book will have to fill the gaps.

I own and run a business, have a 2 year old and run a club, I can certainly appreciate that time is of limited resource. All I'm saying is, that goal is a pretty aggressive goal within that time frame. C to master is going to take a LOT more than reading a book, and 5 hours of dry fire a week.

July will mark my 3 year anniversary. At the moment I'm a middle of the pack A Class. My one year goal is "similar", but my goal is to beat better shooters, and rite now, those better shooters hold Master cards.

I'll share with you my thoughts on it, and it's free, so if you don't agree, pay it no mind. I suggest getting professional instruction because what you think you are doing, may be entirely different from what you are really doing. Before you can set any clear goals, you need to understand your deficiencies and what you will need to do to remedy them. Practice without getting professional counsel is like practicing blind. Practice alone does not make perfect.

My second suggestion is, after you have been assessed, to then come up with realistic, yet aggressive training. Dry firing can only take you so far. If all you want is a loft "classification" like Master, this alone can get you there. My goal is to beat better shooters, so this hold very little value to me.

My last suggestion was to shoot as many majors as you can. This one is important, because I can't tell you how much I've learned from shooting major matches. This is also the only place where you can truly measure your growth and development. This means, shooting something when something is actually on the line. Let's face it, it's really hard to gauge your true ability shooting local matches. There are plenty of people that do decent at a local match, but when shooting against people that should be there peers on a national/area level, fall flat on their face. This is where it can be truly embarrassing, trust me, everyone knows, everyone looks.

Plain and simple, local matches are a bad gauge of your true shooting ability. Winning a local match means very little to me, if I know I didn't shoot to my true ability. It's much more of an accomplishment when you can actually place with real competition in the field. I'll leave it at that.

I would truly love to see you reach your goals, so don't take this as me raining on your parade. I get no kind of joy from seeing people fail, so take this for what it's worth. Either get aggressive with everything, or maybe taper your goals, towards ultimately realizing your big goal. There is no shame in saying, I want to go from C to a "competitive" B. But your goal is also not "impossible" just realize it will take a lot of work. Good luck!

ari b

I own and run a business, have a 2 year old and run a club, I can certainly appreciate that time is of limited resource. All I'm saying is, that goal is a pretty aggressive goal within that time frame. C to master is going to take a LOT more than reading a book, and 5 hours of dry fire a week.

July will mark my 3 year anniversary. At the moment I'm a middle of the pack A Class. My one year goal is "similar", but my goal is to beat better shooters, and rite now, those better shooters hold Master cards.

I'll share with you my thoughts on it, and it's free, so if you don't agree, pay it no mind. I suggest getting professional instruction because what you think you are doing, may be entirely different from what you are really doing. Before you can set any clear goals, you need to understand your deficiencies and what you will need to do to remedy them. Practice without getting professional counsel is like practicing blind. Practice alone does not make perfect.

My second suggestion is, after you have been assessed, to then come up with realistic, yet aggressive training. Dry firing can only take you so far. If all you want is a loft "classification" like Master, this alone can get you there. My goal is to beat better shooters, so this hold very little value to me.

My last suggestion was to shoot as many majors as you can. This one is important, because I can't tell you how much I've learned from shooting major matches. This is also the only place where you can truly measure your growth and development. This means, shooting something when something is actually on the line. Let's face it, it's really hard to gauge your true ability shooting local matches. There are plenty of people that do decent at a local match, but when shooting against people that should be there peers on a national/area level, fall flat on their face. This is where it can be truly embarrassing, trust me, everyone knows, everyone looks.

Plain and simple, local matches are a bad gauge of your true shooting ability. Winning a local match means very little to me, if I know I didn't shoot to my true ability. It's much more of an accomplishment when you can actually place with real competition in the field. I'll leave it at that.

I would truly love to see you reach your goals, so don't take this as me raining on your parade. I get no kind of joy from seeing people fail, so take this for what it's worth. Either get aggressive with everything, or maybe taper your goals, towards ultimately realizing your big goal. There is no shame in saying, I want to go from C to a "competitive" B. But your goal is also not "impossible" just realize it will take a lot of work. Good luck!

ari b

Thank you for the advice, I did actually learn a lot at recent "major" match we just finish yesterday at Rocky Mountain 300, one of them being something I would never had notice dry-firing, which was my reloads on the move. My standing reloads were fine, but the moment I started to move, this would happen. Drop the mag, reach for new mag, gun hand drops to about belly level, head drops to watch the magazine reload, gun reloaded then I snap back up.. I have no rime or reason why I was dropping the pistol to my stomach when I was reloading on the move, and its something I wouldn't had notice if I didn't get video of myself on several stages doing it Every time.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting my 3rd year of competitive pistol shooting, and this year I really want to hit it hard to move from High C to M within a year of this posting. What books would all of you recommend to read to help improve overall shooting skills and strategies? I have read Brian Eno's Practical shooting book, but so far thats the only book I have.

I heard Enos had a book or video that was good but I never read it, Thinking Practical Shooting by Saul Kirsch is a good one... Mindset is good but nothing will beat the dry fire practice along with a mentor... USPSA people are so nice I'm sure you can find a Master class shooter at your local match more than willing to help you work on a few things...

Lots of dryfire, and Mr. Anderson has good books for that. Brian's book should be in everyones bookshelf by now, it's a mandatory. Sauls book "Thinking practical shooting" is great too, it covers the other aspects of shooting than technique. Lanny Bassham: With winning in mind. Saul's book covers a part of Lanny's teachings, but books are cheap and good use for your non-shoot time, so get them all. :cheers:

Edited by askomiko