Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Would You Rather? Svi Or Sti?

Personally I like how STI supports the sport and they seem to have a better handle on the business end of things.

That being said, I like the breechface, trigger system and Scott grip on the SV, not to mention the more refined asthetics. They just don't seem to be as business savy.

I have one of each; I have a frame up custom SV as my primary. I got a good deal on an "Eagle" for back up (I shoot short dc guns) and sent it off for pretty-ing up by my gunsmith. I added some metal work for looks, the Scott grip, and the ITS then had it all NP3'd.

Bottom line for me, is that STi's are a little cheaper and easier to get on a reliable basis, but like most, I like the looks and features of the SV.

I just recently went through that process ... Para (Dawson), STI (Dawson), or SV (JP).

I got to shoot another guy's SV ... very similar to what I wanted (ext dust cover Ltd).

The prices I was lookin' at was like:

$1100 (stainless Para)

$2100 (stainless STI Edge)

$2000 (stainless SV Ltd)

The Para and STI were priced over the phone with Dawson ... they might not be right on the money (no pun intended) as I'm going from memory, but, basically I was very interested in the STI for around $1600 until I found out it was blued and when I heard the price for the stainless STI my jaw dropped 'cause I thought the STI's were supposed to be significanlty less expensive than the SV's.

Anyhow, as I live about 10mi from JP, considering the price difference, the fact that I can go knock on JP's door if anything goes wrong, and everything else, I decided to go with the SV. If JP sold STI's, I might've put more thought into an STI.

But, for a while there, I was very close to gettin' the Para and a few cases of ammo. ;)

As it is, I'm supposed to get the SV sometime in mid-February. :(

In the end, I'd recommend to anyone to actually call a dealer and price 'em out ... apples-to-apples. Once you know the EXACT prices for your options, then you can worry about if one's REALLY worth more. Not that I'm any expert, but, that's what I seen.

If I had the money, I'd like to buy one of each. :)

After owning a P14 and a P16 Limited I want nothing to do with Para, ever again,

I mean this from the bottom to the top of my heart mind and soul.

AAARRRAAAGGGHHH!

Wanting the BEST production gun I could buy I chose STI. I could have waited months to get

a SV, but I hate to wait. If SV had any inventory I might have gone for one.

Having shot both in Limited configuration, I could find no discernable difference

between the two.

I thank Strayer and Tripp everytime I pick up my Edge, it is truely a work of TECHART.

I hope and pray the sun setting on the '94 Crime Bill will give both companies a

well deserved bump in business and provide them money for more innovations.

The new STI 9mm for open looks very cool: it will be interesting to see what SV

comes up with; that goes for JL Hardy as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious which gun you would prefer to own. Would you rather an STI that you can get right away and about $1000 less than an SVI or would you rather an SVI that you can have built EXACTLY how you want but cost $1000 more? I opted for the SV because I loved the idea that they build the gun exactly how I wanted it but having to wait a few months did kinda suck.

Which would you rather?

I'd rather build on a McCormick frame

from 1911 forums, the svi frame is an overkill but i love overkills thus i bought one:

here's the post,

STI single stacks are built from castings - not precisely machined from barstock as SVIs are.

STI uses cast thumb safeties and Chinese knockoffs of the Bo-Mar sights in all its pistols. SVI machines its own patented safety and uses REAL Bo-Mar, MMC, and Heinie sights.

SVI buys nothing from Smith and Wesson. In fact, S&W has in the past bought standard production parts from SVI and asked SVI

to manufacture others.

What does it mean to have a pistol frame and slide manufactured from aircraft quality 4340 steel, heat-treated to Rc 42? It means no one else in the marketplace comes close to the hardness and toughness of the material SVI puts into every pistol - standard.

Les Baer frames are Rc 15.

STI hicap frames are Rc 28.

Harder and tougher materials equal longer life and thus greater value.

The SV coated Schuemann AET barrel will shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards - nearly forever. The rifling will virtually never wear so the accuracy will never deteriorate.

Result? The SVI owner receives greater value.

Premium trigger components from the use of better designs and materials offer trigger jobs that also have an indefinite life. The SVI owner again receives greater value.

Of course, there are those who consider those qualitative achievements and superior standards "fluff." I suppose they need to rationalize their purchases.....

Peace - through superior firepower!