Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Station 2 crushing cases

It did not give me issues before and I had it set to the same belling but not after a couple of months it is crushing or leaving a lip on every 10 or so cases. There is not much bell on it as it is.

+1 on calling Dillon. But could the shellplate have worked loose and not be indexing precisely? Sounds like an alignment issue and the plate would be my first check. Second check would be for a missing brass pin thingy that holds the brass in place at that station. Is the powder die loose? Could be sloppy but I doubt it.

Did you change anything? Calibers, etc and not change all parts as needed?

Check the bolt on the shell plate, make sure it is semi snug. Then, after checking it, remove the shell plate, clean the bottom side of it, getting all the built up gunk out of the indentations the indexing ball bearing goes into when it spins. Third, after cleaning very lightly oil the bottom of the shell plate, re-install, and check your progress from there.

Check the bolt on the shell plate, make sure it is semi snug. Then, after checking it, remove the shell plate, clean the bottom side of it, getting all the built up gunk out of the indentations the indexing ball bearing goes into when it spins. Third, after cleaning very lightly oil the bottom of the shell plate, re-install, and check your progress from there.

Also clean the grooves/slots that hold the cases. A toothpick makes a nice disposable tool. I tend to find gunk in my shellplate due to the combination of lubricant, powder, and fine dust leftover from the polishing media.

It must be the shellplate just like what Sarge said. It happened to me once...

Yep, I've had it happen when loading 9mm on my 550. Shellplate wasn't snug enough and was allowing the case to wobble a bit. Tightened things down and it was GTG.

• 10 months later...

this also just started happening to me, i tried to adjst my shellpate tighter where there is verry lttle play but it also feels like my manual index seems a littl snugg is that normal anyone? using RL550B .40 cal brass, i can see the powder funel hitting the edge uf my casings. i just had converted calibers im not sure if my press is off allignment, i doubt it!!! i ran a search and its got me here. i dont mean to take over anyones post. :unsure:

Lube the bolt/shellplate interface. Tighten the bolt as tight as possible but still allow it to rotate. Mine always got too snug when I snugged the set screw. So I leave the wrench in the bolt on the shellplate and just move it a little at a time till it's snug as possible but still smooth (after snugging down the set screw). The parts wear in and smooth out a lot on a new press. As time goes on you will do this adjustment a lot less.

I also had the problem the OP mentioned with crushing of brass on station 2. I have been reloading only since the middle of Jan 2011, so am very new to possible problems. Many times I simply assume I am doing something wrong. Often I am, but occasionally a comment here will point me towards a solution to a problem I wasn't even aware I had.

The suggestions of cleaning and tightening the tool head has resolved that problem.

I lurk on this forum a lot, and get answers to questions that I don't even know I have!

Thanks to all of the people who DO post here!

Silly question: Did you verify that the tool head is all the way in and there is no dirty in the grooves that hold the toolhead?

Yes tool head is in snugg, and toolhead is clean.

Lube the bolt/shellplate interface. Tighten the bolt as tight as possible but still allow it to rotate. Mine always got too snug when I snugged the set screw. So I leave the wrench in the bolt on the shellplate and just move it a little at a time till it's snug as possible but still smooth (after snugging down the set screw). The parts wear in and smooth out a lot on a new press. As time goes on you will do this adjustment a lot ess.

@98,I will try lubing plate/bolt interfaceand tightening the bolt see what happens took a brake I was gettin fustrated!

Forgot to add: Make sure you tighten the set screw on the shaft! This is usually the culprit when things get loose.

And don't forget to loosen it before wrenching out the shellplate bolt :surprise:

I think it's crud buildup on your shellplate preventing the extractor groove on the case from fully seating. Even with the locator buttons installed, I still get some play on my 550, so I don't think it's the buttons...unless one's missing alltogether.

Edited by Erik S.

I will try lubing plate/bolt interfaceand tightening the bolt see what happens took a brake I was gettin fustrated!

Let me be a little clearer. Tighten shellplate with big allen wrench leave it in the bolt, snug the set screw, see if it turns freely. If not loosen the set screw, loosen bolt a small amount, tighten set screw, see if it turns freely. Repeat till it turns freely. It takes a little time to get the hang of it but it is easy in the end.

You can also remove the toolhead, put the ram up and loosen the set screw and main shellplate bolt a bit. Holding the shellplate bolt in place, rotate the shellplate until it's nice and snug yet still "clicks" between stations when you rotate it. This is telling you that the spring loaded ball bearing has enough travel to index the shellplate. Then, tighten the set screw. This method allows you to adjust everything once without having to keep unscrewing the set screw. If you don't leave the allen in the shellplate bolt while you're turning the shellplate, it WILL move the bolt since the set screw is loose. You're "holding" the shellplate bolt in place.