Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other Makers

Viggen

Up until recently the only revolvers I had seen at a revo match have been S&W's. The other day I came across a Colt Python and a Ruger. But is anybody other than S&W competitive?

Doesn't Taurus make an 8-hole 357? Has anybody used one lately? As a hunting gun the Taurus seems to have a good reputation. Does it have a reputation in competition?

With S&W changing hands are they still providing sponsorship like they used to?

If not, is it time to look to some other makers for equipment?

And then the big question, how does anything else compare to the Smith's?

Taurus has an 8-shot .357 on their big frame. Last time I checked, they still used the coil mainspring on all their guns which basically sucks because it gives a stagey feeling trigger pull due to stacking and can also cause unreliable ignition.

I am prejudiced in favor of the SW design, but admit their current quality is inconsistent. Find a tight used one and you have a better gun IMO.

I think ones preference in a revolver is quite often like your preference in a truck or a car. You have your favorites even though you realize there are other models out there that provide to their owners just what they are looking for. Am I biased toward S&W? Absolutley. But, that may be because I have always used Smith's. Colt makes a fine revolver, but IMO the cylinder release isn't the best for a fast reload therfore, not many are seen in competition.

Some people have really given S&W a fit over the MIM parts. In my uneducated opinion, the major difference is that the MIM parts are "butt ugly". Other than that, I have had no problems smoothing a triggers action nor have I had any parts to break. I'm sure others have had problems and maybe I have just been lucky.

My all-time favorite is the Model 19 with a 6" barrel. And the reason is that it was the first gun I ever carried in my short police career almost 30 years ago. I've got one in the gun safe right now and my intent is never to part with it.

just my $.02 worth and sorry for drifting a bit,

dj

In my experience with Taurus 7 and 8 shot revos, they didnt hold up to extended shooting like the smiths do.

We were shooting bowling pins hard in the 90s and we won a bunch of the 7s. With our 230gr 38 spec. pin loads at 210 PF the guns would go out of time at around 1000 rounds. I know people that would buy three 8 shots, to have one to shoot while the others were at taurus getting fixed. No thanks, I ponied up and bought two 8 shot smiths and 20K later they are just fine. I have had to have the recoil shields replaced and put new strain screws in, but other than that the actions just keep getting better all the time. That is mine and a few of my friends experience. I am not happy with the frame mounted firing pins, but the Smiths are still the best game in town for our games due to the trigger rebound system. DougC

The only revolvers that I know of that are capable of the "sweet" action job one can get on a S&W are the old Ruger Speed Sixes.

I would take almost any brand if I was only having to shoot single action but for IPSC/USPSA/IDPA rapid fire, double action stuff, the only close 2nd to S&W is the Ruger GP100.

I have had to have the recoil shields replaced and put new strain screws in, but other than that the actions just keep getting better all the time.

Alright, I'll bite. What's a "recoil shield"?

Mover, I was waiting to see if DougC would enlighten us on the "Recoil Shield". I have heard the term "Rebound Shield" in discussions of the revo. That is in the rearward part of the frame that covers the back of the cylinder. I have never had to replace one yet but have done a number on the one in back of a Taurus before. I had purchased a 44 Mag Taurus to make an eight shot out of thinking that it would be tough enough for a 38 super eight Shot. Well that is what I get for thinking w/o the proper equipment. The metal would not take the punishment and it made a good achor for my boat. Sorry for being long winded. But I think that is what's meant by the "Recoil Shield" But I could be wrong been there before.

I can't imagine replacing a recoil shield either. Also, how do they fail?

I know my model 27 8-shot 38 super revo takes quite a beating with the cartridges slamming against the back of the frame. I can see the impression of the heads in the bluing. And also, I've had the bullets move in the case. For this reason, I've gone to putting a crimp groove in the 38 super bullets. Bought a tool to do it, but it's a pita to put a crimp goove in a few thousand bullets. Called Zero to see if they would do it at the factory -- yes, if I ordered 250,000 bullets! I also tried to get a 38 super roll crimp die, but couldn't find one. Lee said the factory crimp die will kind of turn into a roll crimp if you crimped it hard enough. So, for practice ammo I don't use bullets with the crimp groove and just try keep an eye on any bullet movement. For matches, I use the crimped ones.

So, in addition to a 38 super case designed for moon clips, it would be nice to have 38 super bullets available with crimp grooves and dies that roll the crimp.

I think the S&W revolvers are the only way to go. I picked up my first revolver a few weeks ago. I got a Performance Center 627 8-shot. What an awesome gun. I was going to mess with the action but as is it it's very smooth and easy to shoot. Not sure if I want to get into primer sensitivity problems.

What an awesome gun though.

First thing I did when I got my 625 was to do a trigger job. Even the revo's from the Performance Center have stiff trigger pulls as well. I had a Miculek 625 from the PC and the trigger pull was as stiff as stock.

I've been shooting revolver for a long time and can't remember the last time I saw anything other than a 25 or 625, so they must be doing things right. I would though like to try a 627 once and see what that's all about.

PistolPete: Install a Miculek spring kit from Brownells and tweek your strain screw to where the trigger pull is around 8lbs and you will have 100% reliablility. It will be the difference between night and day....guaranteed.