Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide mount vs C-more type red dot sights

TnJ

Hello

I am new to open guns and have been reading the posts about red-dot sights. They get too technical and into comparisons of brands.

My question is what are general the pros and cons (differences) between a slide mounted type red-dot vs a c-more like red dot sight?

I am having a new STI 38 super open gun for IPSC competition made for me.

Some background. I have been shooting for only 18 months and one year of that doing IPSC competitions. I started with a Kimber 45 and quickly went to a 9mm M&P. My main goal for the past year has been to improve against myself which I have but it still isn't fun always being last. I'm a petite female and not very strong (yet). I have a fabulous friend who lent me his STI 38 super open gun and I loved it. Got me excited and motivated again!

It has a c-more and I do have occasional trouble finding the dot (however, only shot with it 3 times all in competitions so i know i will improve). Last weekend I was able to try an open gun with a sight mounted red-dot.

I found it easier to find the dot but it moves up and down much more than the c-more.

So in addition to the general question above any difference in parallax error and if so should i be concerned?

Is there any difference in accuracy?

thanks very much

Julie

Some slide mounted optics (like the Docter) are parallax free out to about 40 meters. The reason you can find the dot easier with a slide mounted optic is because you are used to shooting with iron sights. Picking up the dot with a C-More means changing your stance as the gun needs to be lower so your eye can see through the lens to the target.

Most shooters opt for a C-More or other frame mounted optic and with practice you will be able to pick up the dot every time. There are other threads on this forum where this topic has been discussed before, each side has it's pros and cons. However, the majority of open shooters use a frame mounted optic so chances are this will be a good choice, but only you can decide which one is best for you.

As you are petite you may find that you can control the muzzle flip a little easier if your arms are more extended and this may be easier with a slide mounted optic (at least in my experience).

Hello: I would see if you can try a open pistol with a Quinn II mount with a C-More. It made the transition to open for me alot easier. It puts the dot down closer to the slide just like iron sights. I can also index off the slide just like iron sights. I think you will enjoy shooting open. Alot of women I know just love shooting with a dot. Also with the comp on the pistol it cuts down the muzzle flip. Nanci Lambert(Lady in blue here) says "chicks dig shooting open" and she is a very good shooter! Lastly I would suggest you try different dot sizes to see what works for you. I am using a 12MOA dot now and love it. Hope thsi helps. Thanks, Eric

There are several good threads, here is a recent one: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96040

From what i've seen, the newer 90-degree mounts for C-More combine a lot of the best features of traditional C-More, Aimpoints, and slide-mounted optics. Cost is not bad, weight is not bad, dot is the lowest of all the methods used, and you see the whole slide as you push the gun out to the target.

One way to narrow down your choice is to ask to handle & dry-fire someone's traditional upright C-More open gun. If you can push out to a target strong-hand-only, then left-hand-only, and find the dot quickly both times - you can buy any open gun you like. No problem.

I started open with a traditional mounted C-more. Two things you have to overcome (1) The dot is HARD to find strong/weak hand (2) You must remember that close in targets require you to put the dot one to one an a quarter inches about your intended bullet point of impact.

The slide mounted dot eliminates both of those problems, but introduces another problem. The sight is going to fail on a regular basis due to the violent movement of the slide. The most reliable slide mounted dot is a lot more expensive than any C-More and the mount combined.

The Quinn II or Cheely side mount for a C-More (IMO) is the best both worlds. You almost never lose the dot and you never have to mentally adjust the POI for close in targets. In addition, transititions between iron sights and open is a lot easier.

Julie - The problem with slide mount optics is the field of view you just can't see enough.

The problem with the traditional and now obsolete upright C-More mount is that it takes 1,000 of hours to master the dot.

Get a Quinn or Cheely mount with a C-more and an 8 moa dot, and get to shooting.

The unsung but huge advantage of the SideMore mount is that you can actually put the dot where you want to hit and it works. With the upright mount you hit the head of the no shoot because you forgot to aim 2" high.

I was dot challenged gave up open then I got a Quinn, now I'm back shooting open and enjoying it, and shooting 20% above what I shot with an upright mount. Now my only problem is busting over into B class.

Don't short arm the open gun you will lose the dot, stay back away from ports and obsticales and keep your arms out and you will have dot with a SideMore mount.

Julie, for what it's worth I will be getting rid of my current mount for one of the Cheely/Quinn mounts. I like the dot low. I can't think fast enough to remember to aim a little high up close. That and I've been switching back and forth between Limited and Open. 9mm is notorious for ejection problems because of the way the case tries to bounce off of the mount. The side mount opens up the ejection path. Lastly, one of the attractions to the dot is it doesn't move. You take a gun, add a comp, tune your ammo all to minimize sight movement. Then you move the optic with every shot. Which, as previously mentioned, adds maintenance issues with the electronics slamming back and forth.

Just my 2 cents.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...